Getting worse dont know what to do

phil76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

Just found out my parents have split,I don't what to do :( they lived in 4 bedroom house so mum will be staying there,she will need to claim benefits now will housing benefit still get paid in full? Obviously they take away £25 a week because of bedroom tax but will it all stay the same as it is now?

Some of you may know I'm on ESA for depression and anxiety and this has shocked me and feel terrible at the moment,alot worse dont know what to do worried about mum and stuff now

Thank you

Do they have a welfare adviser? I should imagine they do and your mother needs to speak to them soonest.

Is she working at the moment?

No they don't have welfare adviser and no she's not working at the moment,she has never worked because she's brought up 4 kids most her life

I'm devastated :(

She needs to report her change in circumstances to housing association/council and the jobcentre.. And maybe HMCR if she gets tax credits.

You need to be strong for her...

Thank you

I'll try but it's killing me as well :(

Can't believe it seems its one thing after another :(

As hard as it is, even if by letter, if phone calls are too much, it will be better for her if she advises the housing association of the situation and as Nystagmite has said the doctor can help with signing her off sick so she wont be pressured into finding work when she is going through all this. Keeping the house is one massive important thing so keeping the landlord in the picture and applying for housing benefit/council tax etc will at least help there. The sooner the better they know. Take care.

Who else is living in the 4 bed house with her? Do you think it would be best for her to put in for a home swap to something smaller? It would be like a new start for her? It would take a few months to arrange anyway.

As hard as it is, even if by letter, if phone calls are too much, it will be better for her if she advises the housing association of the situation and as Nystagmite has said the doctor can help with signing her off sick so she wont be pressured into finding work when she is going through all this. Keeping the house is one massive important thing so keeping the landlord in the picture and applying for housing benefit/council tax etc will at least help there. The sooner the better they know. Take care.

Thank you Ruby x

Who else is living in the 4 bed house with her? Do you think it would be best for her to put in for a home swap to something smaller? It would be like a new start for her? It would take a few months to arrange anyway.

Thank you for the reply,she wants to stay at this house,lived here for over 20 years

Thank you for the reply,she wants to stay at this house,lived here for over 20 years

Sorry to hear about your parent and feel for you with your illness I know too well how difficult that can be, I have a friend who suffers with mental illness and was living with her mother, she too suffer from dementia, they've been living in a council house 3 bed for forty odd years when the mother became too ill to look after herself and had to go in a care home the council in no time asked for the keys from me within 2 weeks the mother was in the home care, my friend is now homeless and is living with me, we are still trying to fight with the council to get her a place which they refused!

Anyway what I wanted to say is that it doesn't matter how long you've lived in a home they will move your mother in a one bed flat at least she is lucky, my friend was not so lucky and became homeless! What ever you do never hand over the key until your mother are giving a flat!

1 person in a 4 bed house, no wonder the country is a mess, sorry if that sounds heartless, not the aim at all but you know, still true, Especially if its a HA property,

The bedroom tax does actually work I think, well, to a certain extent, me & 2 teens would have loved to be in a 3 bed, but now this bedroom tax has arrived, & my 2 are 18 & 16 years old now, I cancelled the transfer list & want to stay in this 2 bed! I am planning ahead now. Eventually I would love a 1 bed flat if it's ever just me, the only problem there is there may not be any by then :|

tezza1234..This country is in a mess because of people with attitudes like you...Sorry if that sounds heartless but true..

Blame the people who nearly bankrupted this country ...Those that thought the party would never end...

Not some defenseless woman trying to do her best and who does not have a clue about the bigger picture...

I detest people like you...And MPs and bankers.

1 person in a 4 bed house, no wonder the country is a mess, sorry if that sounds heartless, not the aim at all but you know, still true, Especially if its a HA property,

This is a particularly thoughtless comment in the circumstances. With all due respect, it isn't the fault of those who live in the larger properties that this country is in a mess. When the OP's Mum first moved into the property, she was part of a family unit with Children. Circumstances change.

A lot of people might not want the hassle of moving and why should they if they have lived in a home for a long time and are happy there. If they can afford to pay the rent then they should be allowed to stay.

Aside from which, there are very few smaller properties available.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Phil,, maybe I missed it but how old is your mum. I can not imagine what its like to have parents split up, mine made 51 years until Dad was rude enough to die. Does your Dad work,, ifso should he help your mum out.

Are you looking after yourself, do you have family ?

You will be no use to anyone if you dont take care of yourself

I would like to add that the point about bedrooms is what the government want us to believe just as they want us to believe all single parents are scroungers and all sick people are faking it.

The housing system was flawed it is not the occupants fault.

I was told yesterday that there are plenty of one bed properties available if you dont mind luving between a drug dealer and a paedophile. Thats in my area anyway

I was told yesterday that there are plenty of one bed properties available if you dont mind living between a drug dealer and a pedophile. Thats in my area anyway

And here is me thinking that drug dealers all live in mansions..I must of been brainwashed into thinking that.. And as for those Pediatricians..What can i say...

tezza1234..This country is in a mess because of people with attitudes like you...Sorry if that sounds heartless but true..

Blame the people who nearly bankrupted this country ...Those that thought the party would never end...

Not some defenseless woman trying to do her best and who does not have a clue about the bigger picture...

I detest people like you...And MPs and bankers.

That is very funny seing as you dont no ANYTHING about me, my point is still valid, 1 person in a 4 bed HA property, and the bedroom tax is also a joke, pensioners are exempt from it yet most of the people who should be affected by it are pensioners.

out of the 200 billion pounds the UK spends on welfare each year how much goes on state benefits due to being out of work or sickness benefit, about 10-15% how much goes on the elderly over 50% need i say more.

I am 29 with a young family, yet i will have to work until i am 80+ probably before i will get any pension, and when i do it will be peanuts.

This is a particularly thoughtless comment in the circumstances. With all due respect, it isn't the fault of those who live in the larger properties that this country is in a mess. When the OP's Mum first moved into the property, she was part of a family unit with Children. Circumstances change.

A lot of people might not want the hassle of moving and why should they if they have lived in a home for a long time and are happy there. If they can afford to pay the rent then they should be allowed to stay.

Aside from which, there are very few smaller properties available.

I do agree with this, but apart from leaving a property they have lived in for 20 years thats it, the cost of moving is paid for by the council... hell they even pay you to downgrade. Yes i understand about memories and things, but it was always a HA property and not a personally owned house with a mortgage