• Tweets

• OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
    • Post #9 suggested some options to avoid or put off having a smart meter. Post #12 a simple solution to your complaint about the ay they handle fixed monthly DD. It's not really clear why you posted if you're going get irate when members "jump in" with suggestions. You can see what I'm referring to on "gasracker.uk" to allay your suspicion that I was lying in Post #16 which was made to correct ther misinformation shown in your Post #15
    • Back to octopus from the smart meter/tariff salesperson. Octopus have now said just ignore the letter - I dont have to have one despite there letter implying (at least) it was required, but that i will HAVE to have a smart meter if current meters stop working as 'their suppliers dont supply non smart meters any more'. They also say they do not/will not disable any smart functionality when they fit a smart meter I am of course going to challenge that. Thats their choice of meter fitter/supplier problem not mine
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, Im new to CAG but been reading the site all afternoon and theres some great advice here….I hope you can help me too!

I've been in written correspondence with the CENS Enforcement Unit for the past 2 months, regarding an unpaid TV license relating to an address in Ipswich. I must point out I have never been to Ipswich, and was living out of the UK continuously for 2 years during the time of said TV License fine.

Initially I called Norwich Magistrates and explained my case, to which the reply was in my favour accepting my innocence; "you have a common name, these things can happen. The easiest thing to do is make a Statutory Declaration in court and it will all go away".

I am a cooperative person but do not feel I should have to swear on oath and take the time from work to attend court for something that can be solved in an easier manner. Hence I replied by mail, providing copies of my passport and letter of explanation.

Even though the CENS accept my "documentation stating you were in ***country at the time of offence", they still insist I make a Stat Dec. Is there anyway I can avoid making a Stat Dec? Are the CENS within their rite to keep harassing me? Or does anyone have any useful links and I'll carry on researching for myself :razz:

In final addition:

- the very first correspondence was a Further Steps Notice in May 2013, however the license relates to summer 2011

- I have never seen a copy of the initial fine or late payment notice, and despite returning the first letter stating "refused for cause / no invoice" the CENS still haven't provided me with the original invoice

- I have been informed there was a court date set in Nov 2011 that was missed, however my first knowledge of this offence was in May 2013

- I have received several Further steps notices now, all to my corresponding address. I do not live at this address and so have a further responsibility to the owners of the house that bailiffs will not turn up on their door. I have made the CENS aware that this is my corresponding address only.

Thanks in advance people!

Hi everyone, Im new to CAG but been reading the site all afternoon and theres some great advice here….I hope you can help me too!

I've been in written correspondence with the CENS Enforcement Unit for the past 2 months, regarding an unpaid TV license relating to an address in Ipswich. I must point out I have never been to Ipswich, and was living out of the UK continuously for 2 years during the time of said TV License fine.

Initially I called Norwich Magistrates and explained my case, to which the reply was in my favour accepting my innocence; "you have a common name, these things can happen. The easiest thing to do is make a Statutory Declaration in court and it will all go away".

I am a cooperative person but do not feel I should have to swear on oath and take the time from work to attend court for something that can be solved in an easier manner. Hence I replied by mail, providing copies of my passport and letter of explanation.

Even though the CENS accept my "documentation stating you were in ***country at the time of offence", they still insist I make a Stat Dec. Is there anyway I can avoid making a Stat Dec? Are the CENS within their rite to keep harassing me? Or does anyone have any useful links and I'll carry on researching for myself :razz:

In final addition:

- the very first correspondence was a Further Steps Notice in May 2013, however the license relates to summer 2011

- I have never seen a copy of the initial fine or late payment notice, and despite returning the first letter stating "refused for cause / no invoice" the CENS still haven't provided me with the original invoice

- I have been informed there was a court date set in Nov 2011 that was missed, however my first knowledge of this offence was in May 2013

- I have received several Further steps notices now, all to my corresponding address. I do not live at this address and so have a further responsibility to the owners of the house that bailiffs will not turn up on their door. I have made the CENS aware that this is my corresponding address only.

Thanks in advance people!

You've had appropriate advice:

"The easiest thing to do is make a Statutory Declaration in court and it will all go away".

However, you feel that you don't want to take that good advice:

" I am a cooperative person but do not feel I should have to swear on oath and take the time from work to attend court for something that can be solved in an easier manner"

The court insists on a Statuatory Declaration so that the person making that declaration understand it is an oath to the court, and lying attracts severe penalties.

It is also a formal part of the court's processes, rather than you expecting the court to fit around your expectations and what you feel will be easier.

You have the choice : follow the good advice you have had or not.

If you don't : there is a chance the court might not look favourably on you. What if the court says "you were advised to make a Statuatory declaration & didn't do so in a reasonable timescale. We are upholding the finding of guilt and the penalty issued"? all because you decided to apply YOUR rules rather than the court's rules.

I note that you were aware of this in May 2013 : time may be running out, or could have already.

Why ignore good advice they offered you?

What if the court says "you were advised to make a Statuatory declaration & didn't do so in a reasonable timescale. We are upholding the finding of guilt and the penalty issued"?

I'd agree if the offence related to me. I don't see how the court could uphold the offence when it is proven beyond reasonably doubt that I was not in the country during the time of the offence or the missed court date.

I appreciate your prompt reply, but you miss my point. If every case of mistaken identity had to be treated in the same manner then the courts would be fully booked. I've provided adequate evidence this was not me so am confused as to why I still need to prove my innocence? Thanks again though

Why would you want sight of the original Court docs when you have stated they have nothing to do with you?

The very first correspondence received from the CENS was a Further steps notice demanding a sum of money, with no explanation as to what it wad for. Would you not want to know what you were being fined for?

I would agree with Beaker23, However at the same time, you need to get to the court to get this sorted.

Honestly doing a Statutory Declaration in court is best.... I would get a move on if i was you

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

This has everything to do with you as you are in the frame. You have proven nothing - yet. You do that in court if needed. Make the declaration with all due haste. You must unwind what has happened or you will remain liable. There is a time limitation that you may have to overcome, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/43/section/14

you have been given the correct advice by the court, you must do a stat dec, if you do not then eventually it will go to warrants and eventually to arrest warrants,

i cannot see any reason why you would not fill out a simple peice of paper that takes about 10 mins to do and have it signed by a JP?

if you dont follow the advice, thats your choice but dont expect the courts to accept anything less than what is required by law to have the case dismissed

I'd agree if the offence related to me. I don't see how the court could uphold the offence when it is proven beyond reasonably doubt that I was not in the country during the time of the offence or the missed court date.

I appreciate your prompt reply, but you miss my point. If every case of mistaken identity had to be treated in the same manner then the courts would be fully booked. I've provided adequate evidence this was not me so am confused as to why I still need to prove my innocence? Thanks again though

I see you have "seen sense" further down the thread.

You don't need to prove your innocence, and the court likely isn't doubting your word : however it has its own processes to follow before that word can be considered at law.

However, you seem to feel that the court should 'just accept a letter (or phone call') from you.

If you feel so strongly, you should campaign to have the law changed.

Until the law is changed the court is bound by its processes : to consider and accept your statement it needs to be in the form of a Statuatory declaration.

I see you have "seen sense" further down the thread.

You don't need to prove your innocence, and the court likely isn't doubting your word : however it has its own processes to follow before that word can be considered at law.

However, you seem to feel that the court should 'just accept a letter (or phone call') from you.

If you feel so strongly, you should campaign to have the law changed.

Until the law is changed the court is bound by its processes : to consider and accept your statement it needs to be in the form of a Statutory declaration.

I comprehend that the court has its own processors, however I have a written offer from the CENS that I could EITHER provide evidence to them direct proving I was not in the country OR make a stat dec. Yet after receiving my documents it seems they still want me to make a stat dec. After a conversation this morning with the CENS I have been informed the reason for this is that it would be too costly for the issuing company to re-open the case and start looking for the real culprit, and that a stat dec would simply wipe the fine. So in saving them money it is costing me money. I do not earn a great deal, and so even though it may not seem much to some, taking a morning or day off work, including travel costs, is considerable to me. If I understood the law well enough I would campaign, but in starting this thread it must have been obvious to you I was looking for your advice. So thank you again for making me "see sense"

I comprehend that the court has its own processors, however I have a written offer from the CENS that I could EITHER provide evidence to them direct proving I was not in the country OR make a stat dec. Yet after receiving my documents it seems they still want me to make a stat dec. After a conversation this morning with the CENS I have been informed the reason for this is that it would be too costly for the issuing company to re-open the case and start looking for the real culprit, and that a stat dec would simply wipe the fine. So in saving them money it is costing me money. I do not earn a great deal, and so even though it may not seem much to some, taking a morning or day off work, including travel costs, is considerable to me. If I understood the law well enough I would campaign, but in starting this thread it must have been obvious to you I was looking for your advice. So thank you again for making me "see sense"

A Statuatory declaration won't "simply wipe the fine".

If it "just wiped the fine" it would still leave you with a conviction recorded against you.

The stat dec will allow the court to vacate the conviction and its associated fine, not deal with the fine alone.

Have sought where your nearest solicitor who can act as a commissioner for oaths, to decrease your time off work and reduce your travel costs?

A Statuatory declaration won't "simply wipe the fine".

If it "just wiped the fine" it would still leave you with a conviction recorded against you.

The stat dec will allow the court to vacate the conviction and its associated fine, not deal with the fine alone.

Have sought where your nearest solicitor who can act as a commissioner for oaths, to decrease your time off work and reduce your travel costs?

The quote "wipe the fine" actually came direct from the member of staff at CENS I spoke to this morning. I have little other knowledge of how the procedure works other than what I am being told and finding out here.

And no, I was under the impression I had to attend court to make a stat dec? This is great information if I can get it done by a local solicitor. Im genuinely thankful BazzaS

To make a stat dec, you can go to court and get it done for free, or you can go to any solicitor and get it done, but they will charge you a fee. You then take or send it to the court.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The very first correspondence received from the CENS was a Further steps notice demanding a sum of money, with no explanation as to what it wad for. Would you not want to know what you were being fined for?

NO, not if I wasn't the person that was being fined!

If you don't do the Stat Dec, they will associate the criminal element to your record, and it will show on any enhanced CRB

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!