HMRC Child Tax Credits Payback please help if you can!.

Wayne C
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if I get mixed up but im in a bit of a panic with a letter I received yesterday and am worried about what to do, basically the HMRC have sent me a letter asking for me to repay an overpayment of child tax credits which were paid whilst I was married 8 years ago!!. My then wife claimed for my two step children, and a letter has been sent asking me to payback £1300 approximately, it says that this can be paid back over 12 months!!.

8 years ago I was in full time employment as a Staff nurse and now and for the past 5 years I have been on incapacity benefit and now ESA due to a long period of ill health and not been able to work, I have no hope of paying 1300 back in twelve months, never mind 24 months as I only get £90 a week to live on. I haven't phoned them yet as i'm scared of doing so. apparently the debt is for an overpayment they made ( which if memory serves the did to many folks at that period due to an admin error ), it was 8 years ago, we only claimed tax credits for 11 months the length of our marriage,

thanks

will they accept a payment in line with what i get each week ie, £5 or so as I have no spare cash as it is.

i know it can be scary when you get these kind of letter but dont keep you head in the sand call them up and explain your salutation to them. this has happened to a lot of people recently and if you dont contact them they might think your just ignoring them

as far as paying it back they will go off your income if you expenditure what you get how much you pay out ect ect then you can come to an agreement to pay the debt back

if you think this is a mistake tell them this so they can have a look at it. have they not been in touch with your ex wife about this or are they just chasing you for the overpayment?

i

have they not been in touch with your ex wife about this or are they just chasing you for the overpayment?

Apparently the debt is divided by half as we were married, but i don't know for sure to be honest, I haven't seen my ex wife since the day i moved out 8 years ago!!, so I dont know if she is still living in the uk or what have you, they cant lock me up in jail can they for it??, i already pay CSA payments of £10 out of £90 benefit per week as well as all the usual utility stuff, this could well drive me over the edge financially I have no money as it is like many folks i know.

id defiantly call them up and explain your current financial situation to them them especially if your wife had made the original claim.

i have not yet know of anyone who has been put in jail for this its always an option but i have never seen it happen to the people i know who have been in a similar situation as long as you pay it back and your honesty with them i cant see it being a big problem but like i said there is always that option as is with everything that's paid these days.

call them up and tell them your willing to pay it back but your only on £90 a week and your can only afford the £5.00 a week payment back to them explain to them why you can only afford this and see what they say.

i

call them up and tell them your willing to pay it back but your only on £90 a week and your can only afford the £5.00 a week payment back to them explain to them why you can only afford this and see what they say.

just phoned them , havent got landline at home , only pay as you go , isnt a freephone number and no email address to respond to!!!

try this number its a local rate one

If you're calling from abroad please telephone:+44 2890 538 192

thanks for that but its just tax credits helpline though.

Was it a joint claim? If so then you are joint and severally liable for the overpayment. This happened to me and my ex husband 3 years ago and I've just finished paying my half off at £10 per fortnight. If you phone them I find them very reasonable and pleasant to deal with

You will only be expected to pay 50% of the overpayment, not the full amount. Your ex will be getting chased for the other half.

The best thing to do is call the number on the letter. The 12 month time frame can be ignored. The wording of the letter is due to change to remove that part. Explain your situation, and your current financial position. If you offer £5 a week it will more than likely be accepted - unless you get an over zealous advisor, who tries to negotiate you up. Don't let yourself be bullied into paying anything more than you can afford. Stick to what is comfortable for you.

And don't worry about the call. It'll be a breeze.