Going Self Employed. Am I entitled to any 'helping hand' benefits

Kriminal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

At present I'm out of work, and claiming JSA. I've been out of work for just over a year, during which time I went back to college and studied to become a Personal Trainer.

Having gained my REPS 3 qualification, I have been putting the feelers out for a job in a gym, and struck lucky recently....

...I've been offered a job in a local gym (plenty of facilities).....the start date will be 2 weeks Today The only thing that's 'niggling' me is that it's self-employed. The reason it's niggling me is because I've never been self-employed before, and so was looking for advice.

The thing is, as the job will be paid on the consultations and sessions that you can get from clients, there will be no initial base for any income. The first 3 months at the gym will be rent free, allowing me to concentrate on building my client base, without any overheads (in the business).

So, as I'm gonna be earning nothing at the beginning, I was wondering if any of you could help me/advise me as to whether I'd be entitled to any particular benefits.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Hi all,

At present I'm out of work, and claiming JSA. I've been out of work for just over a year, during which time I went back to college and studied to become a Personal Trainer.

Having gained my REPS 3 qualification, I have been putting the feelers out for a job in a gym, and struck lucky recently....

...I've been offered a job in a local gym (plenty of facilities).....the start date will be 2 weeks Today The only thing that's 'niggling' me is that it's self-employed. The reason it's niggling me is because I've never been self-employed before, and so was looking for advice.

The thing is, as the job will be paid on the consultations and sessions that you can get from clients, there will be no initial base for any income. The first 3 months at the gym will be rent free, allowing me to concentrate on building my client base, without any overheads (in the business).

So, as I'm gonna be earning nothing at the beginning, I was wondering if any of you could help me/advise me as to whether I'd be entitled to any particular benefits.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Have you read this advice from the government?

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-business-uk

Normally when you decide to become self employed you will have funding in place that will not only cover the initial set up costs but support your living expenses until you are earning sufficient money.

This funding is generally savings, loans, overdraft or a mixture of all three.

Being self employed can bring high rewards so it is expected that there will be high risks attached.

Hi all,

So, as I'm gonna be earning nothing at the beginning, I was wondering if any of you could help me/advise me as to whether I'd be entitled to any particular benefits. Depending on income, HB and CT may continue.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

If you're going self-employed, try contacting Blue Orchid -- business mentoring - new start-ups. Talk to them - they're government backed. They offer free workshops on business planning, etc. If they approve your business plan, you will receive New Enterprise Allowance (13 weeks at £65 pw, 13 weeks at £33 pw) - plus eligible to apply for £1,000 start up grant. I'm in the process.

Definitely worth checking out.

Imp :-)