style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My friend has recently had his home repossesed and the sale went through two weeks ago. Another friend saw an ad in the paper that CAI Finance have now applied to make my friend bankrupt and citing the address of the property that was repossesed.

The only debt other than Inland Revenue is for a Halifax credit card he stopped paying around a year ago. He believes there is around £3k on this

Can he be made involuntarily bankrupt for an unsecured debt and for such a small amount?

This all seems very coincidental given that he will soon be receiving some money from the sale of his home

Should we call CAI or their solicitor to ask for a copy of the petition? I don't think he's too keen on giving the address of where he is renting a room as he doesn't want any hassle to the landlady

The date for the court proceedings is at the end of the month so we have a little time. Its just lucky it was spotted!

Thanks in advance

Has your friend not received a Statutory Demand - this is the first step in making someone bankrupt ? IMHO there is little point in CA1 doing this as there is no property now and they cannot cite the address that has now been repossessed.. !!

The answer is yes, they can apply to make him bankrupt for an unsecured debt and such a small amount, although generally this company have previously used this method simply as a debt collection tool, a frightener as you will.

Sadly if you want a copy of the petition, then you will need to provide them with an address for it to be sent to.

What you really want to know is why you haven't been served with the Stat Demand ?

They are supposed to personally serve it or send it recorded delivery ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you for your reply

No he's received nothing because he hasn't lived in the property for around two months and the postbox on the house was also nailed shut. I'm not really sure where we go from here. I'm assuming if he doesn't turn up in court they will declare him bankrupt by default?

I cant really add any more than you have stated CB.....but if its not been served correctly then its invalid. Must be served by hand or recorded /registered delivery and signed for and if by post, service can not be said to have corresponded with the obligation imposed by IR 6.3.

The creditor has four months within which to serve the SD what date was it in the newspaper?

Can you please let us know what date it was in the newspaper ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ok thanks.. Someone will be with you as soon as they can.

BCOBS

(13.3.3)

Where personal service is not effected or the demand is not advertised in the limited circumstances permitted by rule 6.3(3), substituted service is permitted, but the creditor must have taken all those steps which would justify the court making an order for substituted service of a petition. The steps to be taken to obtain an order for substituted service of a petition are set out below. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the court declining to issue the petition (rule 6.11(9)) or dismissing it.

(13.3.4)

In most cases, evidence of the following steps will suffice to justify acceptance for presentation of a petition where the statutory demand has been served by substituted service (or to justify making an order for substituted service of a petition) –

(1) One personal call at the residence and place of business of the debtor where both are known or at either of such places as is known. Where it is known that the debtor has more than one residential or business address, personal calls should be made at all the addresses.

(2) Should the creditor fail to effect personal service, a first class prepaid letter should be written to the debtor referring to the call(s), the purpose of the same and the failure to meet the debtor, adding that a further call will be made for the same purpose on the [day] of [month] 20[ ] at [ ] hours at [place]. At least two business days' notice should be given of the appointment and copies of the letter sent to all known addresses of the debtor. The appointment letter should also state that:

(a) in the event of the time and place not being convenient, the debtor should propose some other time and place reasonably convenient for the purpose;

(b) (In the case of a statutory demand) if the debtor fails to keep the appointment the creditor proposes to serve the debtor by [advertisement] [insertion through a letter box] or as the case may be, and that, in the event of a bankruptcy petition being presented, the court will be asked to treat such service as service of the demand on the debtor;

© (In the case of a petition) if the debtor fails to keep the appointment, application will be made to the Court for an order for substituted service either by advertisement, or in such other manner as the court may think fit.

Sorry for not coming back sooner I didn't get the update notification. Thank you very much for this information

So having read this it seems CAI have presented enough evidence to the court in order to obtain the petition. The thing is we know this to be false because my friend hasn't been living there and has therefore received nothing

Can anyone advise on next steps? Should he contact CAI?

If they have advertised it then a judge will probably deem this as service. Is there likely to be much equity in the repossessed property ? I know that when houses are repo'd the legal charges / fees can be astronomical, and I have seen stories on here about properties that get sold off at auction for a fraction of their true worth....I think it may be worthwhile contacting them stating that your friend had seen the advert. How you will be able to stave off the petition then I don't know. If your friend ignores the petition then (as does happen on occasions) then a judge will make you bankrupt even if you aren't in court.