Help with a default query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone with any knowledge or experience could advise me on a matter of a default notice by Vodafone UK.

A bit of background information:

Up until March 2011 I was a long standing customer of Vodafone UK having had previous credit agreements personally and through family members. In late 2010 I received a phone call from Vodafone stating that I was 300 pounds over my account limit and that payment would be required immediately. This struck me as very strange because none of my other credit arrangements (bank loans and finance agreements with Dell) had fallen behind. I told the vodafone contact that as this amount was too high to pay now I would need some extra time to gather the funds.

Fast forward one month and payment was made. I distinctly remember the operator say that the account was fully paid and up to date.

Present day:

I checked my credit report recently as I will be looking for a mortgage in the near future and noticed that Vodafone marked this incident as a default.

This all seems a little extreme for me given that I explained at the time I could not pay the full amount and that given no changes had been made to my bank account ( I had a Natwest account with a graduate loan attached so it would be impossible to close it) I fail to see how Vodafone didn't take any payments at all for a period of around 4 months according to my credit report.

Is there any action or court that would overturn or at least listen to this case? I feel this is extremely harsh to default someone like this basically meaning that my financial life has to be put on hold for another 4 years?!

Thanks in advance.

Hi

There is a Vodafone rep on this site who may be able to help you with this. Follow these instructions to notify Lee of the issue.

Please note that there should be no spaces in the e-mail given in the text below.

Hi CAG members,

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves and to assure you all that our presence on CAG is with the very best of intentions.

vodafone UK has recently introduced a dedicated Web Relations Team which is keen to seek out customers who’re having difficulties with their accounts and feel that they have no other place to turn to than CAG and other consumer forums and blogs.

Naturally, it’s not possible for us to help directly with account specific queries on CAG and as such we would encourage those members who feel we can help them to contact us privately at [email protected] ne.co.uk quoting ‘WRT135 – CAG Forum’ in the subject line to ensure that it reaches the Web Relations Team.

When emailing us we would also ask that you either provide us with a link to your post or thread – if you’ve posted in another member’s thread please also provide your CAG username so that we can check what your query is.

When you have done the above you will receive an automated reply with a reference number. Please post that reference number on this thread so that Lee can pick it up.

• Haha 1

Hello all again.

I would first like to thank Vodafone and the Consumer action group community for their time and help!

After my call with Vodafone on Tuesday, Lee was able to tell me that the reason my payments to Vodafone had stopped was because my direct debit was cancelled by natwest. I have since checked with natwest and they provided me with this: We only cancel a direct debit if you miss two payments.

According to Vodafone I stopped paying them in September.

I have now checked my natwest bank statements from the time in question (September 2010 through to march 2011) and I successfully made a payment to Vodafone on the 13th of September!

Also, At the time of my payment in October, there was available funds in my account to pay my vodafone bill.

Again, in November, at the time my direct debit was due to come out, there WAS available funds in my account. I know for a fact that I did not cancel any direct debit nor would I have a reason to.

Lee mentioned on the phone that I wouldnt be able to remove my default but with this information, do I have any other avenues to get this removed?!

Things do go amiss from time to time with DDs, and it can be the fault of either the originator or the bank. Before proceeding it would be an idea to get a full breakdown from the bank as to what has happened. Personally I would send them a SAR and get this in writing.

Apart from that, the bill is yours and you do have responsibility to make sure it is paid.

If you get proof that you had an active DD from the bank and Vodafone made an error in not taking it, maybe Lee can help you take this further?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I've now taken it up with NatWest and they will inform me as to why the DD wasnt paid even though there was funds available.

I took a look through my account history and there was two occasions where a different direct debt actually pushed me over my overdraft by 10 or so pounds but the payments where still paid and I was overdrawn by the amount ( this was due to finishing education and not having much in the bank).

So by that standard, even if there wasn't money in the bank, the payment should have just either pushed me over again and charged me interest OR the statement would show Vodafone trying to take out the money but going back in as a returned amount, neither of which happened.

I.e. something like this:

Vodafone - 30

Returned funds +30

Charges -10

Hi guys,

I have just received a response from NatWest regarding my cancelled direct Debt and they have confirmed that it was not cancelled by my bank! after the 9th of September no requests for funds from vodafone were received.

This is like a poorly scripted episode of mid summer murders!

Do you have this in writing?

Is their anything Lee can do about this given the circumstances?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Yeah the lady from Natwest was reading me a copy of the letter that had been sent out today's post. The lady also pointed out that there was no communication between me and Natwest to cancel any direct debts in the account notes.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt vodaphone can show that they DID request the funds via DD and they were refused by the bank and will share that with the OP ...

Presumably they keep that type of information so that they can justify the updates that they have made to the OP's credit reference when they are challenged to do so ...

The letter arrive today from Natwest and I have provided a link below. As stated on the phone to my bank, the DD was never cancelled and the last time Vodafone claimed money was on the 9th of september which went through fine.

On another note, the DD payments made by Vodafone never fell on the same date.. Ive checked all my records and it came out as early as the 4th and as late as the 14th of the month.

Lee,

Thank you for you continuing effort. Can you please let me know ASAP when the credit team have reviewed this case.

From a consumer action point of view, it appears that I am not the only one with this EXACT problem:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?290837-Vodafone-misunderstanding-ruining-my-life!!