style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

To keep it safe, I suggest keep it below 15 hrs per week voluntary work. The Jobseeker's Allowance Regulations 2013 says the work search / work availability requirement is 35 hrs pw and voluntary work can not exceed 50% of the work availability or the work search hours pw. 35:2=17,5hrs pw.

Attach evidence in the form of a written statement from the charity about the number of hours pw and "no payment or provisions given", eg food vouchers or free meals.

Jobcentre will suspend your payments until they get the filled in form A15C: We need more information from you AND the evidence attached about above facts.

The form does not say you need to attach evidence. My advisor said I do not have to attach evidence so I listened to her instead of common sense, only to get a letter a week after posting the form, saying "We can not pay you JSA from 14 Dec 2013". No explanation why but says I can ask for explanation over the phone or in writing and can ask the decision to be reconsidered after which I can go to tribunal. Cheers.

Phoned them and it turned out they just want evidence about my volunteering to reinstate my payments. Handed it in on 31st Dec 2013 and posted it today keeping certificate of posting as they are not to be trusted.

So all I got out of volunteering is my money suspended and nerves. It is for a good cause though: to avoid being eligible for their forced labor Mandatory Intervension Regime when I finish the Work Programme end of January. MIR includes mandatory work activity, up to 30 hrs pw shelf stacking in Tesco or Poundland.

It gets better. From April 2014 it is the Help to Work Scheme which means 26 weeks of community placement for up to 30 hrs pw. You definitely want to show at your work-focused interview after finishing the Work Programme that you have recently worked [paid or voluntary], even better: you are still at it, the JCP knows about it and the number of hours pw is stated in your Jobseeker's Agreement. Otherwise you end up picking up litter or cleaning off graffiti for 26 weeks, like David Cameron announced in October.

I really want to see these posh folks picking up litter and clearing graffiti in boiler suits because it makes your blood boil that they make you do unpaid work for 26 weeks for 30 hrs pw regardless of the amount of money you actually get pw in benefits. Housing benefit can make a lot of difference.

The Jobseeker's Agreement can be changed / modified upon the claimant's or the advisor's request any time. There is a box / space to list extra info: the number of hours of voluntary work pw and the number of hours you spend pw to prepare for voluntary work should be there ASAP.

Work search requirement is 35hrs pw, minus the hours you do voluntary work and voluntary work preparation, says the attached .jpg legislation in my post above [click on the .jpg link to see the letter of the law, innit].

To make it more difficult to understand, I have no clue to whom the 1996 and the 2013 Jobseeker's Allowance Regulations apply. Maybe it is to do with the start date of your claim. Any advice?

So it is not good enough that you let the Jobcentre know about your voluntary work before you start it by them getting the filled in form. Evidence / statement attached to the form, copy of letter and certificate of posting kept. Should be a registered UK charity otherwise JCP will say you doing unpaid work aka work that other people get paid for and stop your JSA. Voluntary work is not the same as unpaid work for benefit purposes.

The DWP guidance Volunteering While Getting Benefits leaflet someone posted above is dated 1 Oct 2009 and says you can do as many hours of volunteering as you wish pw. Guess now it is outdated and the max 17,5 hrs pw applies. Max 50% of the hours pw you are available for work. Some people negotiate less than 40 hrs pw in their Jobseeker's Agreement, eg carers, single mothers.

The leaflet I posted upthread is still listed as the current claimants' guide to voluntary work, and there has been no formal change in regulations.

You are correct, however, that JSA claimants in particular should be wary of any suggestion that voluntary work is affecting their availability or ASE requirements. This does not mean that there is a formal limit to the number of hours one may volunteer, as long as they can demonstrate sufficient jobsearch activity and that they can start work within a short period of time should they receive an offer. JSA claimants are not subject to a "minimum hours of jobsearch" requirement, but this will become the case when UC is introduced. They are, however, subject to a "minimum hours of availability for work" requirement which, as you note, is normally 35 hours but could be less if agreed and recorded in their JSAg.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Having just seen my advisor at the Jobcentre this afternoon, I mentioned the possibility that too much voluntary work might affect my ability to stick to my Jobseekers Agreement and apply for work. He said that as far as he was concerned I could do as much voluntary work as I wanted to and my JSA would not be affected. Clearly however I will be doing less in the way of Jobsearch, and at least one or two days a week I will not have time to use the Internet to do this. I also mentioned the Jobseekers Regulations 2013 which come into force on April 29, particularly Section 12, which clearly limits my voluntary work to 50%, and logically my jobsearch to 50% also. He hadn't even read it yet, and asked me where I had read it. I have three weeks to find work before he mandates me to a local Workfare provider (British Heart Foundation was suggested) and I think I'll do one or two days voluntary rather than risk the four weeks.

I record my voluntary work on my JobSearch on the Internet. I figure if they reckon it is interfering with my JobSearch it is up to them to say. I'd sooner be doing something worthwhile rather than applying for jobs I am not going to get because of my age.

I wish I was younger as it is less of a palaver to apply for jobs using new technology. There seems to be more opportunities as well, although most of these are in the hotspots, which does not mean coastal Sussex (more of a black spot).

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Well I signed on this morning and my advisor wasn't happy with my Job Search so he sent my Job Seekers claim to a decision maker, he said I could be sanctioned for 4 weeks.

Anyone know if I can get any help if I get sanctioned, any help towards my Gas and Electric as I am on a pre-payment meter for both of them. I am running out of food as well :(

I have been advised to apply for Hardship if my money doesn't go in on Wednesday, how long does it take to reach my bank when I apply for it? I have a few questions if anyone can answer these for me.

1. Will I get Hardship as I live alone, 27, and I don't have any other income.

2. Will my Job Seekers sanction affect my housing benefit?

3. If I do get Hardship, how long does it take?

Really worried about my Housing Benefit :( any advice would be great, thank you.

Oh, I can't understand why my claim been sent to a decision maker as I applied for quite a few Jobs, he just said he wasn't happy with my Job Search.

By the way, I am going to ring Job Centre up on Monday to see if a decision has been made.

regards

Shaun.

Edited by Gay_guy1986
Add more Information.

Hi Shaun,

Others will reply to your questions when they can but whilst you wait have a look at this to see if it's useful

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/

The Citizens Advice Bureau have an excellent record of fighting unreasonable sanctions. Worth a visit as they will have info of help available in your area with regards to any other needs at this difficult time.

As long as you have exceeded the requirements of your JSAg, you can insist on a mandatory reconsideration if a sanction is imposed.

1. Will I get Hardship as I live alone, 27, and I don't have any other income.

Probably.

2. Will my Job Seekers sanction affect my housing benefit?

Initially, yes. The DWP will notify your local authority of a "change in circumstances", but not what the change is. You must go along to you LA and make a 'nil income' declaration and hope it will be backdated to the point where the DWP sent out the notification.

3. If I do get Hardship, how long does it take?

Dunno - Never been there.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

if you use universal job match then tick the box that stops them checking your job searches. so this dont happen again.

i hope you will fight if they sanction you. most appeals are succussfull .

i not had hardship in years but it used to be that you ring up and they book you an appointment then you go to an office and wait ages in a room full of other people then you have to convince them that you have no other money or savings. Good luck

Unfortunately I think more of this is happening at the moment but I hope you get it sorted in your favour. A little tip for the future, use CV Library and always do one click applications and always exceed what your JSag says so they have no ammunition to fire at you. CVL is painless and you get instant acknowledgements of applications

Many thanks for the people who replied and giving me advice.

I have never given my advisor access to my Universal Jobmatch as I write them down on Microsoft office Word and print them out at Library the day before my appointment, he just wasn't happy with the way I apply for Jobs in other cites like, Preston, Manchester, I always apply for Jobs within 10, 15, 25 and 30 miles and he said that why I haven't been applying for jobs in my town which I live in Burnley, I stated I already applied for Jobs In Burnley a fortnight again and some last month, last time I signed on, also I told him some state need driving licence which I don't have.

I can't believe this, I apply for Jobs and I still get sanctioned. I even showed him proof that I applied for them Jobs in Preston and Manchester by my email. Why do sanctions have to exist? I thought Job Seekers is the money to live on, that's what the law say any way :(

I too do my jobsearch and list on a WORD document but ALWAYS go over my stated quota - make sure you always pad it out as to what you done i.e email, call, read job desc properly etc and also done reseach on company even if you have not. Sounds to me like they are trying it on with you, fight them all the way

Just a question if anyone can answer this for me please.

Can my advisor tell me where to apply for Jobs, he didn't give me Jobs to apply but he stated I need to apply for Jobs around my area (Burnley, Nelson, Accrington for example) which I always apply for Jobs in them towns but he doesn't believe me, however I do have proof in my email address which I applied for Jobs within them towns in my sent emails.

Between 26.04.2014 - 09.05.2014 they have been no Jobs within Burnley area, well they have been Jobs but some state need Driving Licence which I don't have, some state need own transport due to lack of public transport. that is why I been applying for Jobs in Manchester and Preston.

Can't believe I am been sanctioned due to no fault of my own :(

Sanctions serve no purpose at all, the DWP say it's supposed to be a wake-up call to get us to buck our ideas up, but once you've had your money stopped, then you have no motivation to look for work. You have no money for food, gas or electric, they tell the council, if your clued up about that then you can sort it out straight away.

If i get sanctioned next week i shall tell my advisor that i'll be halving my job searches till i get full money again!

These welfare reforms are supposed to be simplifying things, but to me, they have made things 100 times worse!

Well said Flickyhecky.

Also got another point, what if people get sanctioned and applied for Jobs say in Manchester or Preston and got no money for bus fair to go to the interview due to Job Centre stopped money.

Its a joke :(

EEK dont halve your job searchs till you get yor money again.

Even though morally you feel your right it would just cause them to issue more sanctions.....Thats not going to help you

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Manchester and Bolton are within (according to Google maps) 90 minutes travel time of Burnley via public transport - You are obliged to look that far afield unless you have restrictions limiting travel distance/time. Make that point if you get any further grief from JCP advisers.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

If I was sanctioned I wouldn't halve my job search, I wouldn't search AT ALL. I would just spend 30 minutes a week on CV-Library doing 'one click' applications with no effort put in at all. Job done. They stop your money why should you be doing job search activity? May sound childish but it is what I would do

If I was sanctioned I wouldn't halve my job search, I wouldn't search AT ALL. I would just spend 30 minutes a week on CV-Library doing 'one click' applications with no effort put in at all. Job done. They stop your money why should you be doing job search activity? May sound childish but it is what I would do

That's good advice but if I don't do any Job Search at all then I will get sanctioned more and my housing benefit will be affected and if I claim Hardship and don't provide proof of Job applications then my Hardship will get stopped as well and I will have no income at all.

Any way I am been sanctioned like I stated due to no fault of my own, I am going to ring Job Centre up tomorrow to see if any decision been made and if it turns out I have been sanctioned then I am going to Citizen Advice in the morning, then going to appeal. I will even take this to court as they can't sanction me because at the end of the day I am applying for Jobs, what as it got to do with my adviser where I apply for Jobs? I already written my appeal out on Microsoft Office Word ready and if I have been sanctioned then going to print it out tomorrow at Library and going to Job Centre to put it in with my appeal.

I feel this is just a small excuse for a sanction on my claim :(

But YOU WILL be doing a job search - CV-Library, key word, within say 30-50 miles, ne click apply, job done. You have applied for jobs as per your JSag.

Of course if you want to go down the sarcasm route with them it would be "I have not been able to search properly as YOU stopped my money and my broadband was cut off and I could not get to the library to use their computers as YOU stopped my money and I could not afford the bus fare. Also, I could not walk to the library as YOU stopped my money meaning I had no food so was weak and ill and had to stay in and freeze as I also could not afford to put the heating on"

I just sent a complaint email to Job Centre about me being sanctioned due to no fault of my own, its not fair I should be sanctioned because my adviser doesn't believe me about applying for Jobs. I even got proof of all the Jobs I applied for in my sent emails.

I can't apply for Jobs within Burnley area if no Jobs in Burnley, its well out of order for sanction me because of that. !!!

Going to ring Job Centre up tomorrow to see if any decision as been made about my Job Seekers and wish it would hurry up as its bugging me and can't seem to rest as its getting to me :(