Volkswagen **Resolved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your reply (by the way I'm female :-)).

I do appreciate all the advice I've been given so far, so no hard feelings!

On the V5, it does say declared new at first registration, what relevance does that have?

If I contact the DVLA with the VIN, will they be able to tell me whether or not the car was built specifically for the UK?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Robert Hazelwood, so hopefully I'll hear something today. I think that the big frustration is not knowing whether it's a fault or a 'feature' of the car. It does seem pretty ridiculous if it is a 'feature' because what's the point of having a clock on your car if you can't use it????

Cheers

Ok, I have an update....

A lady from VW (Leeds executive office) called me to say that they're looking into it (again) and will call me back by Tuesday of next week. I did explain I've been through all this, however they were adamant that they will get it sorted this time.....

They did clarify that the vehicle was built in Mexico for export to the UK and built to UK standards though.

They were very interested to know that the model I test drove was not an exact replica of the one I purchased - I was told at the time of the test drive that the car I purchase will be exactly the same albeit with a smaller engine - I test drove a 2L version and purchased a 1.2 TSI as the version I wanted to purchase was not in stock - they told me the only differences would be the trim and the engine size. The 2L version did not have an issue with the clock.

I discussed with them the possiblity of a rejection if the problem can't be sorted and she told me that if I went down that route it would be down to the retailer (Smith, Knight, Fay) and the finance company (Blackhorse). She said that they wouldn't get involved in that. I don't really understand why, they are VW aren't they?

She explained that I have to wait for the part to be delivered from Germany, however I have been waiting 6 weeks already. I don't have much choice other than to wait I suppose. They're calling me back before Tuesday with a further update after they have done full investigations (again).

Any thoughts anyone?

They are probably doing what is known as "a line pinch" where they take a part off the production line which is destined for a future car. Anything that gets in front of Winterkorn will have to have a full investigation without the previous people being involved so is technically independent so to speak.

If Leeds (somewhat surprised it has been referred back there) don't get back to you on Tuesday then pm me and I'll help you draft a note to him which will get some very swift action. Which e mail address did you use to contact him?

It does though seem a bit odd that they would produce a car in Mexico for the UK market but then this is not unusual in VW as they cart bodies for Bentleys, (incidentally built in the old Trabant factory) across Europe for final assembly in Cheshire. You'd think it made far more economic sense to build in Mexico for America. But then that's globalisation for you and why European cars cost more!!

Give it a few days and then you are in a position to hammer them.

I already paid for an extra connector rather than the factory fitted one, and I'm happy with the sound thank you. Why would I want to go to more expense?

Because it might have a display that includes.........a clock.

Isn't that what you want out of all of this ?

Why not ask VW if there is another radio from the parts bin they can fit - for free - which has this function.

Does you car have sat-nav as standard fitment ?

It does though seem a bit odd that they would produce a car in Mexico for the UK market

I think the reason for this is that all Beetles are made in the same factory in Mexico. The model is not in sufficient demand to require separate European production.

The strangest VW thing is that many UK market Golfs are actually made in South Africa.

I think the reason for this is that all Beetles are made in the same factory in Mexico. The model is not in sufficient demand to require separate European production.

The strangest VW thing is that many UK market Golfs are actually made in South Africa.

The original Beetle was produced in huge numbers over in the same factory in Mexico - 220,000 I think.

They are probably doing what is known as "a line pinch" where they take a part off the production line which is destined for a future car. Anything that gets in front of Winterkorn will have to have a full investigation without the previous people being involved so is technically independent so to speak.

If Leeds (somewhat surprised it has been referred back there) don't get back to you on Tuesday then pm me and I'll help you draft a note to him which will get some very swift action. Which e mail address did you use to contact him?

It does though seem a bit odd that they would produce a car in Mexico for the UK market but then this is not unusual in VW as they cart bodies for Bentleys, (incidentally built in the old Trabant factory) across Europe for final assembly in Cheshire. You'd think it made far more economic sense to build in Mexico for America. But then that's globalisation for you and why European cars cost more!!

Hiya

The email address I used was [email protected]. He then referred me to customer care in Germany and they emailed me from [email protected], however you can't reply to that address, it just bounces back.

I also tweeted @UKVolkswagen, which helped a lot too!

I'll let you know when they get back to me.

Cheers

The email address I used was [email protected].

I've also tweeted them @UKVolkswagen which helped a lot! The power of social media!

Because it might have a display that includes.........a clock.

Isn't that what you want out of all of this ?

Why not ask VW if there is another radio from the parts bin they can fit - for free - which has this function.

Does you car have sat-nav as standard fitment ?

But why should I pay out when I don't need to? The car has a clock which doesn't work and it should do.

My thoughts were if they can't get to the bottom of this, then that's maybe a route I will have to go down (at VW expense), but I don't want to 'fix' the problem for them. Surely it's up to VW to sort this?

Well you got to the right bloke and address. There is another though. Interestingly there has obviously been a major shake up in the way VW handle complaints from the UK direct to Das Varterland.

This has been confirmed now by not too recent publicised shake up reports regarding VW's customer service whereas the not too recently appointed head is apparently so good the said person now sits on some national board as to how it should be done!!

From memory, the Leeds office is not in fact VAG UK but Mondial, the subcontracted out company who deals with breakdowns and complaints ,the same said people who you dealt with in the first place so it will be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Whilst I appreciate it's a major issue to you it's something if you play your cards right you could have a bit of fun with unless of course VW actually confirm that is how the car is which I can't see in reality.

Ok... an update.

Gemma from VW Leeds (or whoever they are called). They're now having the same trouble as me - basically the dealership do not know their backsides from their elbows and are not returning calls and giving conflicting information.

She was advised by Smith Knight Fay that the alleged fault was a 'feature' of the car and that they were going to arrange with a company called 'bespoke' to see of they can put a fix into the cars dash to ensure that the clock stayed where it should. Smith Knight Fay told me that they had ordered a dash pod and it was on back order in Germany and this was well over 6 weeks ago. The dealership didn't tell VW Leeds this.....

Anyway, she's had a look at the technical report and it does not say whether there is a fault or not as it cannot be established yet. Basically the dealership are trying to wriggle out of something they don't know how to fix or deal with (well they are in my eyes anyway).

She's waiting for a call back from the dealership to establish why the techinical report has conflicting information on to what they told her, however they are very slow in getting back to her. She has said that if they don't call her back by 12pm tomorrow then senior management will be called in. She is also waiting for the factory in Germany to get back to her to see if she can get anymore information.

She did state that all of the technicians she has spoken to have agreed that the error should not be there.... however we still don't know if there's a fault.

So.... I'm back to where I started. Waiting. I should receive a call on Thursday with a further update.

Out of interest, I picked up the car on 23rd March and reported the issue about 5 days later. Surely I am at the stage where I've waited a reasonable enough time for this to be sorted?

This is the problem CaChing, it's not VW you are dealing with. The good thing is that they are on your side. I can see this being referred back to VW. Research the website motortrder.co.uk under new and VW and you'll find the wonder woman who has supposedly sorted out all the customer relations issues at VW GB.

VW are a bunch of muppets when it comes to sorting out basic customer complaints as you are finding out.

Perhaps you ought to drop into the conversation that you now intend to reject the car and as they are involved makes them jointly liable with the dealer. I wouldn't go this route myself as it puts them on the defensive and just takes longer to resolve the problem and has implications in it's own right.

Just stick with it for a bit and then go for the fun side of it if you can spare a bit of time to hammer them.

A further update....

Smith Knight Fay IMHO offer the most lacklustre, useless after sales service I have ever experienced!

Anyway, had a further call from Leeds who have informed me that the dash pod was never ordered by Smith Knight Fay as they were advised by the factory (In Germany) that it would not make any difference. Smith Knight Fay didn't tell me this and just left me dangling........

The technical team in Milton Keynes have advised Leeds that they are 99% sure that the clock should not do that and that a clock should be visible whether you are stationary or mobile, however are still unsure whether it's a fault or a feature. The technical team have also advised that they have further information on this issue, however cannot give this information out until Smith Knight Fay resubmit another technical query report in addition to the one they've already submitted. VW Leeds have told me that they've requested Smith Knight Fay do this within 24 hours.

I've been advised that I will receive either a call from Smith Knight Fay or from VW Leeds by Tuesday of next week with an update.

And so the saga continues.......... At this rate, the clocks will be going back by the time it get's sorted, but that's a totally new complaint.................. (I fear).

Edited by ChChing

Further update.....

Just had a call from Leeds and they've been advised by the factory in Germany to try and 'recode the long code on the dash insert and check function'. Whatever that means. They still cannot establish whether there's a fault and don't know whether this will work but they have to try it.....

Now waiting for a call from the dealership to book the car in. Don't hold out much hope of them calling me, but we will see. They have until Thursday. I won't hold my breath.

SKF have finally been in touch and my car is going to them tomorrow. Apparently they can sort this whilst I wait........ They are changing the dash pod to the American version and that's going to fix the problem of the disappearing clock, allegedly. They've found another car with the same problem (slighly different version) but did this fix on that and it worked. They still cannot establish whether it's a feature or a fault. We will see............ I wait with baited breath.

I just don't get this. If it was a feature then VW UK should know and so should SKF. So why the delay? Why the fix suggestion has taken so long. The fix they suggest is implausible in my opinion as what they are saying is that they will re-programme the car to what is known as federal requirements. You need to ask them that by doing what they are doing complies with EU homologation requirements.

Something does not tie up. There has been no UK technical manager visit and if the issue was that rare and had been seen before would normally trigger a visit especially as customer services and a letter to Winterkorn are involved.

I notice the dealer is not that far from me and I can explain why none of this makes sense to me and offer the level of support should you need it.

See how it goes tomorrow and if it's fixed then all well and good but you need to check it's been done correctly and is UK compliant.

At the moment the fix suggested is on a par with an ABS fault flagging and the dealer removing the bulb!!

Ok, so they've managed to fix it. I now have an american fix in a german car built in Mexico! They've assured me that it won't affect the warranty, however I think that they've just put a sticking platser on the problem. I do not have the option to change to a 24 hour clock anymore and when I turn the engine on, I now get 6 beeps, not sure what that's all about.......

Do you think I should just accept what they've done? VW Leeds are calling me today to see how I've got on.

Thanks

Ok. VW don't know what these 6 beeps are - could be something to do with the change to an american dash. Anyway, they're going to investigate and get back to me on 15th August when I'm back from my holidays.

Here's hoping :)

I do not have the option to change to a 24 hour clock anymore and when I turn the engine on, I now get 6 beeps, not sure what that's all about.......

It's a clock, it's what you asked for. They could have nailed a sundial onto the bonnet to fulfill their obligation.

• 4 weeks later...