Volkswagen **Resolved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me. I purchased a new 2013 VW Beetle on a lease and picked up the car on 23rd March this year.

Very happy with the car apart from the clock. Basically, each time I drive, the clock (to tell the time) disappears and is replaced by a reading in KPH. There is no other place on the car to tell the time other than this clock.

I went back to the dealership about this and they got one of their tech guys to have a look at it and he basically told me it's for European driving, they have to show by law readings in MPH and KPH. That's fine, however I have a manual dial on the dash which tell you MPH on the outer circle and KPH on the inner circle which basically means I have KPH in two places which is not necessary. I contacted the dealership again about this and asked them how I was supposed to tell the time whilst I was driving and I was told 'look at your watch'! I was furious when they said this, basically they are telling me to take my hand off the wheel when hurtling down the motorway!

Anyway, I then contacted VW head office who have agreed that their 'may' be a fault and have referred me back to the dealership....... This has now been going on since the end of March and VW do not know if it's a fault or the car was designed like that. All other new beetles have the functionality of being able to tell the time whilst you're driving, however on my particular model, you can't but they cannot establish if its a fault!

VW have told me (6 weeks ago now), they they have ordered a new dash pod from Germany to see if this is what the car needs, however they have run a few computer tests on my car's dash and there are no faults.

I'm at the stage now where I'm tearing my hair out, a dash pod has been ordered and is en route from Germany (it's taking ages), when it gets here, they don't know if I need it and still cannot tell me if it's a fault. They've told me that no-one else has complained about this problem and will not recall the car until they receive 5 complaints!

This is so frustrating! The car manual shows me how to tell the time and change the time and nowhere in the book does it say that the clock disappears! I'm at the stage where I want the car replacing, however they've told me they won't do this. All I want to do is drive and to be able to tell the time!

Can anyone help please!

Can anyone help me with this?

I've tried emailing the dealer 4 times, no reply. I've left messages, they haven't got back to me. Can i insist that they replace the vehicle? I don't want to cancel the lease payments as it will screw up my credit rating?

Thanks

Hello there.

I think you're going to get more replies on the motoring forum rather than General Consumer issues. I'll move your post there and leave you a short term redirect from this forum.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I take it that you are obviously dealing with an approved VW outlet as often cars on lease have agreed service/repair arrangements with dealers outside of the actual VW dealer network.

In relation to rejecting the car....forget it. There is a legal requirement for the car to display to MPH and KMH (at the same time) which is covered by what you think is an analogue display.

In this case it is obvious that there is a fault in the dash control module so as they are doing they are going to replace. The lead time unfortunately is dependant on the supply of parts. One thing is for certain that the supply will depend on the demand from the production line and this will always be in productions favour.

When you complain to VW you do not actually complain to VW but a subsidiary company. What you need to do is drop an e mail to a guy called Martin Winterkorn at VW GMBH. It then gets filtered back to the actual people at VW GB who are far better placed to deal with the complaint.

Once done, expect action very quickly.

• Haha 1

I will do that thank you.

There's definitely an analogue and a digital display of KPH, so I'm presuming that there's definitely a fault. The problem is that VW do not know if theres a fault, nothing showed up when they did their computer tests. I have a feeling that if they replace the dash pod, it's not going to make much difference, but that yet remains to be seen.

I'll email this guy and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help.

Surely it`s simple to see if this is a "fault" in your car or a "feature" of all 2013 Beetles? Just check around and see if any others do the same thing. The dealer must know the answer, they will have a demo car. Ask `em if that one does the same.

That's the problem, the models they have in the showroom don't match mine exactly and apparently there is only one other beetle in the whole of the UK matching mine exactly and as far as they are aware there have been no problems reported with it.

I did not even test drive the exact model of my car, I test drove a slightly different model as mine had to be ordered from Mexico but I was told at the time that there were only a few features different and the model I test drove did not have the 'case of the disappearing clock!'.

I've emailed Martin Winterkorn now, so hopefully he will be in touch.

Cheers

That's the problem, the models they have in the showroom don't match mine exactly and apparently there is only one other beetle in the whole of the UK matching mine exactly and as far as they are aware there have been no problems reported with it.

I did not even test drive the exact model of my car, I test drove a slightly different model as mine had to be ordered from Mexico but I was told at the time that there were only a few features different and the model I test drove did not have the 'case of the disappearing clock!'.

I've emailed Martin Winterkorn now, so hopefully he will be in touch.

Cheers

Ooopps!

Now this is starting to ring alarm bells.

It might be that you do not have a UK spec Beetle but one for another RHD market such as South Africa or Australia. This is one way of driving down the cost of the lease package. They source via various means.

Do you have the V5? What does it say in terms of the declaration? It would also explain the delay in getting a part.

Check with the lease company exactly where they got the car from. This could have quite complex implications in terms of warranties etc as if sourced from outside of the EU then your rights could be severely compromised with regards redress against VW.

The dealer should be able to tell from the full vin number I think.

Can i do anything under The Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act at all if I don't get any joy from VW?

Depends from you tell us in my previous post. If not a UK spec car then from VW probably not but you will have redress against the supplier i.e. the lease company.

I wouldn't worry about it as it could actually work very well to your advantage. This could turn into an interesting game with the lease company if I think what has happened has!!. Don't over react. Get the data first so you know what you are dealing with and are on solid ground.

Don't forget that if the log book shows Ireland (Eire) then technically it is not a UK spec car as will be declared as new by VAG in Milton Keynes. Seen many of these before.

Not heard back from Martin Winterkorn yet (I emailed 2 days ago), I also emailed VW head office in Milton Keynes yesterday, still waiting to hear................

Haven't had chance to check the log book - I've set a reminder to do it tonight!

Email received from Martin Winterkorn's staff with the usual apology etc etc and to advise me that they've passed it back to VW UK Customer Services. Pffft. I've been through this once........

They've also advised me that they've made Robert Hazlewood aware (Uk brand manager), not sure whether he can kick ass or not, we will see. I'll get hold of the V5 doc later.

Feel like I'm going round in circles at the moment. :???::???:

I went back to the dealership about this and they got one of their tech guys to have a look at it and he basically told me it's for European driving, they have to show by law readings in MPH and KPH. That's fine, however I have a manual dial on the dash which tell you MPH on the outer circle and KPH on the inner circle which basically means I have KPH in two places which is not necessary. I contacted the dealership again about this and asked them how I was supposed to tell the time whilst I was driving and I was told 'look at your watch'! I was furious when they said this, basically they are telling me to take my hand off the wheel when hurtling down the motorway!

Absolutely nothing to do with the clock issue but when you are hurtling down the motorway, how do you change gear, play with the radio or scratch your nose?

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Changing gear at 70MPH in a VW Beetle is not necessary as I would already be in 6th gear.

I listen to my IPOD and have a playlist so changing is not an issue.

I also have bluetooth connectivity.

Both hands, therefore will stay on the wheel.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Changing gear at 70MPH in a VW Beetle is not necessary as I would already be in 6th gear.

I listen to my IPOD and have a playlist so changing is not an issue.

I also have bluetooth connectivity.

Both hands, therefore will stay on the wheel.

But how do you get up to 70 and slow back down to 70. What about your nose?

I know you think I was being sarcastic but there is a serious point here. The dealer made an off the cuff remark which you took issue with. Whilst I fully understand you are very unhappy about this it is not beyond the realms of possibility that you could adjust your left hand on the steering wheel slightly so you could see your watch face. I just traveled home from work and managed to do it without taking my hand off the steering wheel or compromising the safety of me, the vehicle, or any bunnies.

Your fury was directed at someone of who may have been genuinely trying to help. Whoever it was didn't say take your hand off the wheel at 70, they merely said look at your watch.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

But how do you get up to 70 and slow back down to 70. What about your nose?

I know you think I was being sarcastic but there is a serious point here. The dealer made an off the cuff remark which you took issue with. Whilst I fully understand you are very unhappy about this it is not beyond the realms of possibility that you could adjust your left hand on the steering wheel slightly so you could see your watch face. I just traveled home from work and managed to do it without taking my hand off the steering wheel or compromising the safety of me, the vehicle, or any bunnies.

Your fury was directed at someone of who may have been genuinely trying to help. Whoever it was didn't say take your hand off the wheel at 70, they merely said look at your watch.

H

I get what you're saying, but driving without due care and attention isn't the issue here. Off the cuff remarks by car salesmen really don't help when all they seem to care about are their sales figures and when something goes wrong, they don't seem bothered.

Anyway, I now have a VIN and looked on the V5 doc and can't see anywhere on any paperwork about where the car was originally destined for and whether or not it was for UK export.

I've replied to the email from Martin Winterkorns staff with the info but the email is coming back now as undeliverable. This is so frustrating. I'm still waiting to hear from VW UK, however have been down this route several times but to no avail. No-one at VW can tell me if its a fault because there is only one more like for like model in the country of my version!

What do I do now? I know it's only a minor problem, but what's the point of having a clock in the car if you can't use it to tell the time?

Rather than liten to a tinny iPod, why not replace the standard VW radio with something bespoke, one for example with a clock on the display.

I already paid for an extra connector rather than the factory fitted one, and I'm happy with the sound thank you. Why would I want to go to more expense?

Whoa lads!

I can see the funny side and it did make me smile!

Ching....go with the flow so to speak. Hammy is a wise old owl and probably like me gets fed up with the same daft old things on here as I do but your case is slightly different. Some of the experts here get derided because of the criticism of constant referral to taking action in the courts and expecting a champagne car for beer money so in some circumstances you can expect a cynicism.

Moving on though, the fact you have had a response from Winterkorn is significant.

In the UK, if you buy a VW group car and have cause to complain, the number you call is not actually VW UK. It's a subcontracted outfit who are probably paid on the number of issues they can deflect. The best way to deal with this and speak to the people who can dictate what goes on is to go to the top such as Winterkorn. This will then get referred back down to the people in the UK who can make the decisions and this is where you are at. In fact this is quitequick compared to normal butatleastnow you are dealing with VW UK in Milton Keynes and not some other company.

So it's following the route I said it would.

What's happening now is that they are looking into the full history around the car, where it has come from etc. They will also be talking to the dealer who has done the diagnosis.

As the car is in its standard warranty period they will either react with Yes it is standard and that's how it is which you will have to accept, or it will be a sorry it's treated as a personal import and you should take it up with the supplier, in this case the lease company, or a sorry, get it into a dealer and we are monitoring what is going on. and will feed back.

If it's the latter then VW are pretty good in supporting now you have got to the people who matter. If it's the middle version then the game changes considerably. If the former you might have to accept it.

As regards the V5 does it say under section 3 as "declared new at first registration" ?