Jobseekers Allowance Stopped

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. I was sacked from my job, of 11 years since I left school, in March of this year. As soon as I lost my job I applied for Jobseekers Allowance, Council Tax Benefit and also Housing Benefit. I was awarded all three and have been claiming since. I have been looking for job but its proving difficult with losing my previous job for misconduct, anyway that is another issue.

I received a letter saying there was a doubt over my right to claim jobseekers allowance due to the circumstances of which my previous job ended. I was told there would be an investigation which would include contacting my previous employer. While this was going I had to continue signing on as normal and my jobseekers would not be effected.

I signed on Friday as normal and expected to receive a payment today, My advisor at the job centre did not hint that there might be a problem. When I logged on to my online banking today no payment had been received. I was just about to contact the benefits centre when a letter popped through my door dated 27th June saying I cannot be paid jobseekers allowance from 15th June 2013 until 27th August 2013. This decision was based on how my previous job ended and because it was my own fault. It says that my jobseekers allowance will continue at £71.70 from 28th August.

I am very worried. Firstly I have no idea how I am going to survive with no money until the 27th of August. I have no money just now and was expecting a payment today. Because of not getting this payment today my direct debits for both my mobile phone and my TV Licence will reject. Surely my advisor at the Job Centre on Friday should have told me there was an issue with this payment? I phoned the job centre today and was told I would have to apply for hardship payments until the 28th of August and that I would have to go into the job centre tomorrow morning to complete a JSA10 form. I was also told the hardship payment, if awarded, would not be as much as my jobseekers allowance. I am struggling to survive as it is on jobseekers allowance and with even less I do not know what i'll do. I am diabetic and must eat to a balanced diet or this causes problems with my blood sugar levels. I have very little food in the fridge. I have no family I can turn to for support, the reasons my job ended has driven a bit of a wedge between us and I already owe the majority of my close friends money who have helped me. I should point out I have a severe debt problem so cannot turn to the banks for help. I have several questions hopefully some on here might be able to help

1, How much am I likely to receive in hardship payments until my jobseekers is re-instated

2, How likely am I to be awarded a hardship payment

3, How regularly are these payments made and how do I go about getting them

4, Do I still sign on as a jobseeker

5, I have the right to appeal the decision. Is it worth appealing as from my reading it seems unlikely the decision will be reversed

6, Is there any other support I may be able to claim as I have no money whatsoever at the present time and I would imagine there will be a bit of time between completing this JSA10 form and actually receiving a payment(should I be awarded one) I spoke with citizens advice on the phone and they suggested contacting my local council about a local welfare provision

7, Will the decision regarding jobseekers effect my council tax and my rent

I am in Scotland. I am not sure if different things apply to England and Wales but thought Id mention it just in case

I am thinking of going to Citizens advice for a bit of guidance after ive been to the job centre tomorrow. I am panicking and really worried about this decision so any advice whatsoever would be most appreciated

1, How much am I likely to receive in hardship payments until my jobseekers is re-instated

2, How likely am I to be awarded a hardship payment

3, How regularly are these payments made and how do I go about getting them

4, Do I still sign on as a jobseeker

5, I have the right to appeal the decision. Is it worth appealing as from my reading it seems unlikely the decision will be reversed

6, Is there any other support I may be able to claim as I have no money whatsoever at the present time and I would imagine there will be a bit of time between completing this JSA10 form and actually receiving a payment(should I be awarded one) I spoke with citizens advice on the phone and they suggested contacting my local council about a local welfare provision

7, Will the decision regarding jobseekers effect my council tax and my rent

I am in Scotland. I am not sure if different things apply to England and Wales but thought Id mention it just in case

I'll just take your numbered questions for now:

1) I believe hardship is 60% of your regular amount.

2) Very, but not for the first two weeks of your sanction period unless you are in a vulnerable group (lone parent, pregnant etc)

3) The payments are made fortnightly on the same day as your regular JSA payment. You should apply at your Jobcentre.

4) Yes, definitely.

5) It costs nothing to appeal, but it is a lot of hassle. If you think your actions were justified, by all means appeal.

6) You could contact your council, but there isn't a lot of help available. Perhaps seek a referral to a local food bank.

7) No, but you should contact the council and inform them of the situation ASAP to minimise any interruptions to your HB/CTB.

It makes no difference that you are in Scotland in most cases. By all means go to the CAB - they are good people and may be able to offer you further advice or refer you to local sources of emergency help while you get this sorted.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for the response. So basically I will have nothing until when I would be expecting my next payment from the job centre on the 17th of July. I'll ensure I get down to the Job Centre tomorrow and get the form completed. To be honest I do not think I have grounds to appeal so will probably be best just leaving it. Excuse my ignorance but what is a food bank. Do they give you food vouchers or do you go there to eat? I assume this is council run? I will try and speak to the council and citizens advice tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere

Yes, correct - hardship payments can't be made for the first two weeks in most circumstances, so you won't get anything until 14 days after the date the sanction was applied.

A food bank is usually run by a charity or other voluntary organisation. They can provide you with basic food if you have no other way to eat. Generally, you need to be referred by some agency, which is why I agree with your idea to visit the CAB and would also suggest that your council might be able to help.

My wife and I had to use the services of a food bank a couple of years ago. We got some pasta and sauces, canned meat fruit and veg, baked beans, biscuits, soup, super noodles, tea and coffee, and some toothpaste and soap. It's not ideal, obviously, but it can help stop you from starving until this all gets sorted. Basically if you are referred to one they will hand you some bags with non-perishable food that's been donated to them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks Antone again. With regard to the hardship payments. The letter was dated 27th June altho it says they cannot pay me from 15th June. I presume the two weeks you refer to will apply from the 27th :( Thanks for advice I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow

Thanks Antone again. With regard to the hardship payments. The letter was dated 27th June altho it says they cannot pay me from 15th June. I presume the two weeks you refer to will apply from the 27th :( Thanks for advice I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow

If the letter says they can't pay you from 15th June, then that's the start of the two week period. You should be able to receive hardship from the 29th June, but it can't be backdated normally (if I recall correctly - I could be mistaken about this) so yes, get to the Jobcentre and make your application ASAP. Best of luck.

Went into the job centre today and completed the JSA10 form for hardship payments. The guy in the office said I should be contacted tomorrow to be informed as to whether I will be getting these awarded. He says if I haven't heard back by this time tomorrow to follow up with the job centre again. Hopefully this is resolved quickly. It seemed to simple to be true today