chakras1969

Becoming a full time carer - benefits

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2265 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I need a wee bit of advice.

I went down from full time hours to part time hours and now need to look at becoming a full time carer to my mother who has vascular dementia.

I moved in permamently with her two years ago and rented the house out, The rental income I get covers the mortgage, insurance and gas contract, and that is it,

My mum gets attendance allowance.

I keep running into obstacles to try and get to the bottom of what i would be entitled to. Jobcentreplus are unsure as to really what happens when someone has a house they rent out, They mention IS and contribution ESA but i cannot take the plunge without knowing for sure. I am not sure where to turn to fin out.

Any help really appreciated

You can claim carers allowance as long as no-one else is claiming for her. You may get IS on top. But I don't know the rules with that and you renting out your house.

Contribution based ESA© would not be affected by the fact that you have a property that is not your primary residence, nor would any rental income be considered. You can claim ESA© if you yourself have a health condition or illness that means you cannot work, or that your ability to work is limited. You can't claim ESA simply because you are a carer. ESA© is based on NI you have paid in the last few tax years - broadly, if you have earned at least £100 per week in the three tax years ending 2011/12 then you would have a chance of qualifying.

As Nystagmite said, you can claim Carers Allowance provided no-one else already claims this for her. It's about £60 per week, and you can also earn up to about £100 per week and still be entitled.

Income Support is payable to carers, but your rented home makes this a bit problematic. As you don't live there, the value of it will be classed as capital and could affect your entitlement. If it's worth more than £16,000, as it probably is, it could mean you would not be entitled to IS.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi ANtone

Thanks for this. No one else gets carers allowance for mum. I take it carer's allowance will not be affected by the property.

Is there a set condition to claim for carers allowance, i.e what kind of proof do i need. Mum gets attendance allowance.

I have earned at least £100 each week , since the age of 18, but i think you say it is unlikely that i could apply simply for being a carer/

The equity in the house (value less mortgage) would be £60,000 approx. The rental income just covers mortgage, gas contact and insurance and that is it.

Correct, Carers Allowance is not means tested and so your property will not be considered. As long as you earn less than the threshold amount (which is about £100 per week) would will be entitled to the full amount. Note that CA is not means tested as such - in other words it's not reduced by earnings. Either you earn less than the threshold, in which case you get the full amount, or you earn more, in which case you get nothing.

The face that your Mum gets AA is sufficient condition for you to claim Carers Allowance. There is more information here, including details of how to claim.

You could get CA simply because you are a carer, provided you currently earn less than the the upper CA limit which is about £100 per week. You probably couldn't get a top up of Income Support - although that can be paid to carers, I'd say your rented property rules that out.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

thanks.

So it would be a case of giving up work and on the day i cease employment, i then apply for caers allowance as i would then effectively be earning nothing?

thanks.

So it would be a case of giving up work and on the day i cease employment, i then apply for caers allowance as i would then effectively be earning nothing?

Pretty much, yes. You can ask for CA to be backdated for up to three months, but you must have satisfied the conditions of entitlement for those three months. While you may have been caring for your mother for over 35 hours per week (and she's been in receipt of AA for that time), you might also have been earning too much.

If your employer is amenable, it would also be OK to reduce your hours but keep working, as long as you earn below the CA threshold.