Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • @HP Mum - you've been here a long time and you have certainly been here long enough to know that we regularly ask people to avoid posting solid blocks of text because it makes it very difficult for the site team to engage and also other people who might be interested in what you have to say or maybe even give advice themselves. It's especially difficult using small screens such as telephones and telephone screens are more and more commonly used nowadays. When solid blocks of text are posted by new people, we figure they don't know any better and so we go in and edit the block and introduce proper spacing and punctuation and asked them to avoid doing in future. However you are a seasoned Cagger Your solid block of text is very long and to add to the difficulty, you have used the smaller font. I'm going to remove your post and if you want to post again then please would you bear in mind the interests of the people who are reading and who want to help you. Thank you
    • USe ours not theirs. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126   Andy
    • A little thinking out of the box here by Lowell....   (2B)The duty imposed on the creditor by subsection (1) may be discharged by another person acting on the creditor's behalf.] (3)Subsection (1) does not apply to— (a)an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or (b)a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.   So in layman's terms they say that they are not at liberty to comply with sec77 because the agreement has ended and that nothing is due from yourself. Happy days so no chance of this debt ever seeing the inside of a court room.   Andy
    • Hi all,  I defaulted on a Barclaycard a few months ago.  Account was passed/sold to PRA Group, who've sent the occasional chaser letter.  Today I received a Letter Before Claim.  Redacted scan attached.  In the envelope there was also a "statement" and an Income & Expenditure form - copy attached.  As background - the credit card defaulted after I missed a couple of payments due to the increasing cost of living.  Once I was behind it was very difficult to catch up.  Stupidly I made a payment just before the default, which reduced the balance but they had already cancelled the card so I just thought "sod it" and left it to default.  It's been a few years since I had a default so I'm not sure what the current position is regarding that, but more pressing is this LBC.  The letter says to complete their form if I want a copy of the Credit Agreement. Should I do it that way or should I write separately?  Advice appreciated gang - thanks in advance.     PRA LBC.pdf PRA LBC 2.pdf
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

Becoming a full time carer - benefits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I need a wee bit of advice.


I went down from full time hours to part time hours and now need to look at becoming a full time carer to my mother who has vascular dementia.


I moved in permamently with her two years ago and rented the house out, The rental income I get covers the mortgage, insurance and gas contract, and that is it,


My mum gets attendance allowance.


I keep running into obstacles to try and get to the bottom of what i would be entitled to. Jobcentreplus are unsure as to really what happens when someone has a house they rent out, They mention IS and contribution ESA but i cannot take the plunge without knowing for sure. I am not sure where to turn to fin out.


Any help really appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites

Contribution based ESA© would not be affected by the fact that you have a property that is not your primary residence, nor would any rental income be considered. You can claim ESA© if you yourself have a health condition or illness that means you cannot work, or that your ability to work is limited. You can't claim ESA simply because you are a carer. ESA© is based on NI you have paid in the last few tax years - broadly, if you have earned at least £100 per week in the three tax years ending 2011/12 then you would have a chance of qualifying.


As Nystagmite said, you can claim Carers Allowance provided no-one else already claims this for her. It's about £60 per week, and you can also earn up to about £100 per week and still be entitled.


Income Support is payable to carers, but your rented home makes this a bit problematic. As you don't live there, the value of it will be classed as capital and could affect your entitlement. If it's worth more than £16,000, as it probably is, it could mean you would not be entitled to IS.




The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ANtone


Thanks for this. No one else gets carers allowance for mum. I take it carer's allowance will not be affected by the property.


Is there a set condition to claim for carers allowance, i.e what kind of proof do i need. Mum gets attendance allowance.


I have earned at least £100 each week , since the age of 18, but i think you say it is unlikely that i could apply simply for being a carer/


The equity in the house (value less mortgage) would be £60,000 approx. The rental income just covers mortgage, gas contact and insurance and that is it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct, Carers Allowance is not means tested and so your property will not be considered. As long as you earn less than the threshold amount (which is about £100 per week) would will be entitled to the full amount. Note that CA is not means tested as such - in other words it's not reduced by earnings. Either you earn less than the threshold, in which case you get the full amount, or you earn more, in which case you get nothing.


The face that your Mum gets AA is sufficient condition for you to claim Carers Allowance. There is more information here, including details of how to claim.


You could get CA simply because you are a carer, provided you currently earn less than the the upper CA limit which is about £100 per week. You probably couldn't get a top up of Income Support - although that can be paid to carers, I'd say your rented property rules that out.




The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Link to post
Share on other sites



So it would be a case of giving up work and on the day i cease employment, i then apply for caers allowance as i would then effectively be earning nothing?


Pretty much, yes. You can ask for CA to be backdated for up to three months, but you must have satisfied the conditions of entitlement for those three months. While you may have been caring for your mother for over 35 hours per week (and she's been in receipt of AA for that time), you might also have been earning too much.


If your employer is amenable, it would also be OK to reduce your hours but keep working, as long as you earn below the CA threshold.




The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...