Jump to content

Is our council being fair ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

My hubby and I live in a 2 bedroom flat, we are in receipt of housing benefit and pay bedroom tax as we use both rooms for medical/health reasons.


We are registered to move nearer our daughter as she provides care and support for us both. We are eligible for any 1 bedroom property across the county but we are also eligible for 2,3,4 and 5 bedroomed properties, paying the bedroom tax BUT only in the difficult to let areas where we live.


In comparison, our daughter, who is not on benefits and pays her full rent, is registered to move as she lives in a 2 bed flat and wants a house but she is eligible for any 3,4 and 5 bedroomed properties across the county.


Is this fair? Are we being discriminated against because we are on benefits ?


Any thoughts or advice on this query would be welcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi a couple of questions.


1. Who is your landlord?

2. Who is your daughters landlord?

3. As you mention medical/health reason when your registered to move nearer your daughter did they get you to complete a medical allocation/questionnaire form?

4. Are there other housing association in the area you wish to move?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi stu007,


My daughter and I were under Newcastle City Council but that changed to Tyne and Wear Homes in April 2012, all local authorities and Housing Associations in the County come under that umbrella now.


We have medical assessment forms being processed now, just waiting to hear, don't know how long it will take.


Many thanks for your questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...