style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2838 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought some Hair Straighteners from Boots on Sunday.

they were in a sealed box and I couldn't view the product until I had purchased them and opened the box.

These were in a sealed cellophane wrapping which stated that

"Please do not open this bag is you do not intend to keep the product inside."

I still was unable to examine the quality of them without taking them out the bag.

Once out of the bag I found these to be of quite poor quality and have 3 buttons along the length of the handle

which you are continually pressing against your hand whilst using. These 3 buttons change the temperature

or turn the straighteners on and off. This is very annoying.

I haven't yet used these but know that these are not suitable.

Am I within my rights to return them bearing in mind that I was not in a position to examine them properly before committing to the purchase?

I would think so yes. It is quite ridiculous to say you cant open the product fully to see if it works correctly ?

How did you pay for the item ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

To strengthen you demand for a refund, you could get a friend to visit the shop and ask if they can take the straightener out of the box for inspection and see what they say. If they say no, then I would say the same rules as DSR come into play and you can demand a full refund as you weren't given the opportunity to examine before purchase.

Your right to a refund would be based only if they were not of merchantable quality, not as advertised, or not fit for the purpose for which they were sold

You cannot say "the same rules as DSR come into play" for a purchase in branch : it isn't a distance sale.

If you weren't sure they were suitable for your needs, why did you not ask to see a set in branch where they may have had a demo / display set?.

When these were purchased at no point did a member of boots staff mention that these were non returnable. When I have bought a similar item at Argos they informed me of this before I handed over any money.

The non return statement on the bag was actually printed on the bag along with the standard suffocation notice so I didn't spot this anyway until after opening.

When these were purchased at no point did a member of boots staff mention that these were non returnable. When I have bought a similar item at Argos they informed me of this before I handed over any money.

The non return statement on the bag was actually printed on the bag along with the standard suffocation notice so I didn't spot this anyway until after opening.

If you can't claim a statutory right to return them, any refund will be discretionary.

A discretionary refund is more likely if the item is in a re-saleable condition.

Your likelihood of a discretionary refund is increased if you can make the point that the warning in the bag not to open it wasn't prominent.

were there any signs in store or in the receipt that warn that the item may not be exchanged or refunded if the packaging was opened as this might decrease your chance of a discretionary refund.