Housing Association Won't Do Repair-Any Advice Please? ** RESOLVED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a problem with my housing association and I don't know quite where to turn. So I am posting here.I live in a small block of flats run by my housing association,also known as housing trust. I live on the ground floor and there are two flats on the ground floor,my flat and my next door neighbors.

My situation is this,for the past 2 weeks now,we have had no light on the ground floor in the communal hall in our block because my housing association won't fix it. I telephoned my housing association customer services or repairs department as it is called on 17th June. I reported the repair to them. My HA told me that they would send an electrician round to fix the light.

But they did not send anyone round and the repair and I have been phoning them every day for the past 2 weeks telling them that I and the other tenants have NO LIGHT in our communal hall downstairs. But still they have not fixed it.

So last Tuesday I went in person myself to the office of my housing association in London and saw in person who I think was the duty housing officer. I told her we have no light in our communal hall and no one has been round to fix it. She said the HA would phone me and let me know when they were coming round. But when I got home I found that nobody from my HA had phoned.

So the next day,I phoned my HA again and made a complaint. The woman I spoke to said that an electrician would be round on Friday(last Friday) but again nobody turned up. So yesterday,Monday I made another complaint to my housing association and this time they told me they would be round yesterday. But you guessed it,nobody from my HA has showed up,the repair has not been done.

So I and my next door neighbor have now been without lighting in our communal have in our block for over 2 weeks and the housing trust won't fix. I have tried everything I can to resolve this I have phoned my HA,I have been to the office,I have complained to the HA manager but they still won't fix that light. they keep on saying they are sending someone round but they don't turn up to fix and we still have NO Light in our communal hall.

Another problem is that my next door neighbors opposite me don't speak much English,so I cannot communicate with them.Also they have not complained,I am the only one who reported the repair.Though that's not the point as it has been 2 weeks and we haveno light in the hall for 2 weeks.So where do I go from here? should I now go to Environmental Health also known as public protection at my local council? as I heard that they can force my HA to do the repair.Can anybody help.

Andrea Borman.

You might want to get in touch with shelter who will able to advise you on what steps need to be taken.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/housing_advice_helpline

or you can telephone..

Ring 0808 800 4444

8am-8pm Monday-Friday

8am-5pmSaturday-Sunday

Calls are free from UK landlines and main

mobile networks(Vodafone, O2, EE and

Virgin Mobile).

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks,I have taken a look at the Shelter website and it advises that if your landlord won't do the repairs to go to Environmental Health. Though I don't understand why my HA are have not fixed that light.

My block is a small block and with 3 floors,ground,first and second floor.On the upstairs floors there are 4 flats and the light is working in the communal hall upstairs but downstairs it is not. Although it is in the main hall downstairs in the first landing but then you have to go though a fire door to get my my hall area and it is there where there is no light. So the only way we can see is if we hold the fire door open to get the light from the main hall into ours.Though you can't because it is a fire door and won't stay open.

I phone up the repair department of my housing trust they keep saying they will send someone but they don't come. This has been going on for 2 weeks now and I have spent all my time on the phone to my HA complain about it.I have been to the office but still they have not fixed.They keep giving me appointments but nothing happens they won't fix it.

I have posted about this in the off topic section of another forum but that is a general discussion forum and an American forum.Or most of the members are American,so they cannot help. So that's why I came here as I found you on Google. I think I probably will have to go to environmental health department if my HA don''t fix it. Or I could try a housing lawyer but I have heard legal aid has been cut in England. I don't know.

Andrea Borman.

You had two threads on this issue - one in legal forums and the one I moved to residential lettings.

You only need one thread so I have removed the one from legal issues, as strictly speaking it isn't and left this one.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Shelter or Citizen's advice bureau will be able to advise. Yes, it could be an Environmental Health Issue, so contacting them could be another avenue to try.

BCOBS

Thanks as the problem is that you have too many forums. So I did not know where to post this it is very confusing. I don't know if it is a legal issue or not. I just want the repair done that's all.

But as I said the HA are being difficult about this.Either that or they don't know what they are doing.as when you phone up you get a different customer service adviser each time. and even when I go to the office in person I just get the receptionist or what ever housing officer is on duty not my housing officer.

Even though I have made a complaint and my Ha have given me a complaint reference number,even then I only get though to customer services not a manager. So I am getting nowhere with my housing trust. It's been 2 weeks now and we have had no light in the communal hall for 2 weeks since 17th June.

Andrea Borman.

IMHO, you would probably find you get more of a result if you email or write to their office, rather than telephoning.

Aside from the fact they can deny a call was made, if you put your complaint in writing both you and they have a copy.

I am sure others will pop in with advice later on - most of the CAG volunteers have day jobs :)

BCOBS

IMHO, you would probably find you get more of a result if you email or write to their office, rather than telephoning.

Aside from the fact they can deny a call was made, if you put your complaint in writing both you and they have a copy.

I am sure others will pop in with advice later on - most of the CAG volunteers have day jobs :)

Yes when I posted on the general discussion forum I told you about the members who responded told me the same thing. That I should put my complaint in writing by letter not just over the telephone. Also they suggested I make talk to the housing officer who is in charge of my property rather than the officer who is on duty. I have made a complaint by email to the HA on their website but I think letter is better.

You know the HA told me the engineer is coming round today,they gave me a time of between 10 am and 4 pm but it is now 6.30 PM so I don't think they will come.

What is so frustrating is that I ring my HA every day you get through to customer services,never the same person,always a different one. They say they will phone you and they don't.They say they are sending the electrician round and they don't. I visited the office in person that is I have been up to their office and the person at the desk tells me the same thing. Nothing has been done. Even though I have made a complaint twice still nothing,they have not showed up,they have not fixed that light. I am kind of stuck I think.

I was told on the discussion forum to give my housing association another week and if they still have not fixed then go to Environmental Health. As I reported the repair on 17th June it has now been over 2 weeks and still the repair has not been done. And we have been without light for 2 weeks. I don't know why my HA are not fixing this.

Andrea Borman.

Hi Andrea

Welcome to CAG and sorry to hear of your issue so lets get started.

When you reported this same repair numerous time on each occasion were you told:

1. Priority of the repair i.e. Emergency, Urgent, Routine.

2. The Time Limit for that repair.

When you made the complaints about the lack of repair did you inform them that it was a Complaint you were making?

Which housing Trust? (don't say if you rather not)

Have your checked there website for anything on Repairs and checked your tenants handbook.

One thing to remember is as this in the main communal light on the ground floor which I assume all tenants to the flats in that building access there properties via it is also a health and safety issue.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Okay I did not know I could name my Housing Association but since you asked, the name of my HA is Metropolitan Housing Trust. Their head office is in Nottingham but if we want to go to the office to visit we go to our local office,in my case that's in London.

NoIi cannot email them because I get a failed delivery message,but I can write to their head office,I can also go and visit my local office and phone them. The problem with phone is that they keep you on hold for 20 minutes sometime and sometime you get cut off and you have to ring them back. Even when you do get though to them they put you on hold and sometime you get cut off again.

My HA keep giving me times when they are coming to fix the light in the communal hall. They keep telling me tomorrow or the day after but they don't show up. Even when I made a complaint I think I only get though to customer services who just log the complaint.And when i phone to ask to speak to the person who took my complaint I don't get put back though to them because they are not there.

Now you understand why I am so upset and angry the staff at Metropolitan Housing trust are stupid.To be honest I think my HA are taking the P**** the way they are acting.

About the light let me explain.In my block each floor has a main hall and then there is a fire door where you go into a second hall. On the ground floor where I am you go though the communal door into the main hall there there is light. But when you turn right to go though the fire door to the second hall it is there where there is no light.

And because the second hall door is a fire door it won't stay open. so when the door closes there is NO LIGHT. So the only way I can see to unlock and lock my flat door in the hall is to put my shopping bag in the fire door to get the light from the main hall. But in our hall there is no light and the HA won't fix it.

Edited by Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman.

Hi Andrea

Thank you for clarifying that for me and bear with me as having a wee dig on them at the moment so will get back to you.

Now a couple of question for you that I need to clarify with you:

1. From when you initially reported this repair on the 17th June and your continued reporting of this:-

a. Did the Repair Dept when you reported this inform you of the priority the repair was i.e emergency, urgent routine ?

b. Did they inform you when the repair has to be completed by?

2. When you made your Complaint about the lack of action:-

a. Did you do this via the Customer Services Centre?

b. Did you inform them that it was now a Complaint you were making about this repair?

c. Did they inform you what 'Stage' your complaint was being dealt with i.e. Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 and their response times?

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Well I phoned up my HA again today and they told me someone did come yesterday. But they could not fix it as they need to order new parts. If that's true then thatv would explain the delay in getting the repair done. as they have to order the parts. So what I think I should do is give then another week and see what happens.

Andrea Borman.

I have just finished prepping a letter for you and was about to post it up.

I can see your point now the but, why didn't they contact you and inform you of this delay and the reason why and did they inform you how long it will take to get this part.

Hi Andrea will post draft letter for you anyway have added in your latest communication amend as required.

Complaints Department

Metropolitan

PO Box 10262

Nottingham

NG8 9LE

Your Address

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference: Formal Complaint

It is with great sadness that I must now make a formal complaint to Metropolitan on the failure to complete a repair to the lighting in the Communal Area of the property which is a Health, Safety and Security issue for your Service Users,Visitors, Guest and Staff and to date is yet to be completed.

On the 17th June 2013 I reported to your repairs team that a Communal Light in the block that I reside in was no longer working and was informed that an electrician would be send to do the repair.

Please bear in mind that the location of my property within this building I have no option but to navigate this Communal Area in complete darkness to enter or exit my property.

After numerous phone calls to Metropolitan chasing up this repair I had no option but to go in person into the London Office on 25th June 2013 and spoke with a duty housing officer on this matter and was informed that i would receivea phone call to explain when the repair would be carried out.

On 26th June 2013 I phoned Metropolitan as the promised phone call never happened to once again chase up this repair and informed them that I now wished this treated as a Complaint and during the call was informed that the electrician would be round on 28th June 2013 to complete the repair but once again this came and went with no repair completed.

On 1st July 2013 I phoned Metropolitan again and made another Complaint about the failure to complete this repair and was informed that a contractor would be round the next day to complete the repair and once again this came and went with no repair completed.

3rd July 2013 contact Metropolitan again about this repair to be informed that a contractor was out the day before and could not complete the repair as parts required ordering to complete the repair and I was given no explanation as to why I was never informed of this delay nor when the repair will be completed once again poor communication.

I must point out the following:

Service Promise

Ø We will listen and communicate clearly and quickly when you get in touch.

Ø Complaints matter and make a difference.

Ø We will provide an excellent and right first time repairs service.

Complaints

As detailed above I asked for this to be made a complaint on 26th June2 013 and again on 1st July 2013 and on both occasions a date was given for this matter to be resolved which Metropolitan has failed to keep to on both occasions with no explanation until my contact on 3rd July 2013 once again poor communication by Metropolitan.

I would also like to request the following:

1. Copy of Complaints Policy and Procedure.

2. Copy of Repairs Policy and Procedure.

3. Copy of Service Promise.

4. Copy of what priorities the Repair was classed as on 17th June 2013, 26th June and 1stJuly 2013.

Due to this I wish this Complaint to be escalated and to know exactly when this repair is going to be completed.

Yours Faithfully

Print Name

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2354847/Brixton-Shooting-Bailiff-female-colleague-injured-try-evict-tenant.html

Seems they sent Bailiffs out to evict someone - the bailiffs are in hospital having been shot !

BCOBS

Well I am away on holiday in Manchester at the moment I went away a few days ago,so I don't know if the light has been fixed or not as I am not there. Though I am going back home to my flat this evening. So I will know then.

I must admit I am not looking forward to going home back and dealing with that Housing Association again if they have not done the repair. To be honest I think they are taking the P**** as they keep on teling me they are going to fix it. They even give me dates which are the next day but they don't turn up and the repair has not been done.

I hope when I get home this evening that light is fixed,and I will be very angey if when I get home tonight after a hard jouney on the tran from Manchester it is not. It seems that no matter how many times I phone them or go up there to the office to tell them it's not fixed,the HA don't take any notice of me.

I don't know if it's because the next door neghbors oposite me have not complained of no lighting in the comunal hall. As those neighbors don't speakmmuch English. I have told them to complain but they won't. So that's not my fault that my neghbors won't complain. Though that's not the point. As I have complained to my HA and told them many times there is no light and it's not ben fixed. But so far nothing has been done. So I don't know what I am going to do if I get home from my holiday togight and find that light is not fixed. As all I can do is tell them but if they are just ignoring my complaint,where do I go from there?

Edited by Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman.

No I have not got round to sending any letters yet. As I am still on holiday in Manchester. So I have only made my complaints over the telephone and in person at their office in London. But I have not written any letters.

Though I did phone them today from my mobile phone in my hotel room. And them person I spoke to rang me back so I did not have to pay for the call. She told me that they have record of my call(when I last spoke to them on 3rd July,before my holiday.) The woman I spoke to on the phone told me the light is now fixed.

Though because I have been away on holiday since 3rd July,and only come back home tonight.I won't know until I get home,as I have not seen it yet. I hope they have fixed it,because if they haven't I am not going to be very happy.Well I will find out tonight when I get home from Manchester.

Andrea Borman.

Irrespective as to whether the light is fixed or not still make a formal complaint in writing, I did do a draft letter for you in post#16 just amend to suit your needs.

Good news.

I have just got home after spending the week away in Manchester and the light in the communal hall is now working. So they have done it,my HA have finally fixed the light.

It took along time but now we have light in our communal hall again. So my problem is resolved. I suppose I could still complain, as we should not have had to wait 2 and a half weeks for the to fix it. But I am just happy that now they have finally fixed it. So you can mark this topic as solved.

Andrea Borman.

• 1 month later...

Excellent news, thank you for updating.

Yes, I see no reason why you should not continue with your complaint - it might make them think twice about the delay should it happen again !

BCOBS

Well it was just unfortunate that it took so long to sort out.As I should not have had to wait 2 weeks and it turned out that,they needed to get a new part for the light.Though I was not told about this until later on. Anyway the repair is done now. So I think you should mark this topic as solved.

Andrea Borman.