• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Capital one old credit card debt - currently still paying lowell £1PCM since 2006

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2587 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

2 YEARS AGO I STARTED PAYING THE CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD WHICH IS NOW CLAIMED BY LOWELL.

I STARTED DEFAULTING ON THEM IN 2006. I AM NOT SURE WHETHER I ASKED for a CCA file or not but all of their correspondence mention the original creditor name. So far I have been advised by DX to send them a CCA file. Which I shall do as soon as my printer is fixed.

A new development is that none of these appear on my Equifax credit file any more. Do they still have enforcement powers as I have been paying them a statutory payment for each account. They have offered discounts in the past.

What should I be doing meanwhile, apart from sending the CCA file? And while I am sending the CCA file, should I keep paying £1? And also should I ask for one CCA file for all of them or separate? In the past they have sent me letters with all three debts mentioned on one letter.

LOWELL HAS SENT ME LETTERS OFFERING DISCOUNTS. I am just worried if I do not send them the £1 payments then they might do the traces on my file. They have been hiring McKenzie Hall to do the trace SEARCHES on my CREDIT file. The last one was done in April 2012. Nothing appears after that. Let us suppose that they do not comply to CCA then how come they had the powers to do searches on my file?

Thanking you in anticipation.

all dca's have consumer credit licences that entitle them to use the credit ref agencies

as detailed on your other thread whomever you are currently paying

you need to send them a cca request.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks, once i have sent cca, i shall keep you posted.

Have sent now. I guess now I have to remind them on 17th of July 12+2. Is there anything I should be doing meanwhile?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi here is the standard letter I received from these guys. Any suggestions?

Same letter is sent back to me for one more CCA request from them.

Please see the attached.

Thanks Daniella,

I did not get any other piece of paper or agreement with this reply from them. I think there is still £450 or so remaining.

It is now up to them to supply it. If they fail to do so by the 31st July you can send the account in dispute letter and stop paying them if you wish. As it will take you more than 30 years to pay it off at £1 a month you may decide to do this.

Can you remember when you took the card out? I'd be astonished if they can provide a credit agreement.

It was perhaps 2003/2004 for this card.

I served the CCA letter through the post on 5th of July. Do I still have to wait till 30th? I thought it was 12+2 days from the date I post the letters.

I am so sorry. I misread your post above referring to the 17th. :oops: Yes, you can send the letter on the 19th.

I've never seen them come up with any of the early agreements. They'll probably just send you a recon and I'll tell you what to send in reply.

12+2 working days

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I saw them off a couple of years ago. I'm happy to help you put them on the spot. :-)

Hello Daniella,

Could you please help with the wording of teh letter that I would have to send them? Do you suggest that I should send them the letter or email? As they do send me their 'account' updates through emails. What should I go about saying in that letter assuming I do not receive anything through the post today.

Thanks.

hello,

The attached is what i received today after the previous correspondence. Is it a bluff or there is something to it? Please note that it is now being sent to me through Hampton not Lowell any more.

I wait for the guidance.

Thanks.

bloke at the next desk in a diff coloured skirt

dx

and they

bloke at the next desk in a diff coloured skirt

dx

As 12 + 2 days have passed for this one. What do you recommend should I write to them now?

thanking you,

and they

Thanks, also do i need to take notice of Hamptons letter or I should ignore that. Should I send them another letter disputing it or the letter that you recommended above should suffice for both?

that letter

firmly nails you colours to your flagpole

hamptons are lowlife

just a bloke at the next desk in a diff coloured skirt.

who put a different letterhead in the same printer

dx

and they

Hello Daniella,

Could you please help with the wording of teh letter that I would have to send them? Do you suggest that I should send them the letter or email? As they do send me their 'account' updates through emails. What should I go about saying in that letter assuming I do not receive anything through the post today.

Thanks.

Yes, of course. Sorry I wasn't around for a few days.

Let me know when you get a response to the letters.

I am sometimes away at my mother's where there is no computer access and it's almost impossible to post from my mobile, so don't worry if I don't get back to you immediately.

Let me know when you get a response to the letters.

I am sometimes away at my mother's where there is no computer access and it's almost impossible to post from my mobile, so don't worry if I don't get back to you immediately.

Thank you for getting back to me. I have posted the letters that DX recommended to me giving them 21 days to produce the original agreement. Although as these debts no longer appear on my credit files either at Experian or Equifax, DX thinks that these DCAs do not have any powers to enforce now. Fingers crossed, shall keep you posted.