Are excess contractual charges lawful

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2638 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Starting off another thread to get educated responses.

We all know about claiming back excess bank charges etc. What i wish to concentrate on are excessive charges within any financial agreement. The Office of Fair Trading decided that charges levied on an account holder for a failed direct debit as an example will no longer be challenged by the OFT if below £12.00. It would be for a court to decide

Under laws of contract, a company cannot charge any fees in excess of what it would normally amount to. A computer generated bill for £25.00 for saying a direct debit has bounced will be unacceptable and can be challenged,

What i am interested in is if the Terms and Conditions of a finance agreement say a returned direct debit charge will be £25.00.

If it is in the contract, will it be lawful under contract law, or still a penalty to reclaim ??

Will the The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 be the way to mount a challenge

This is a bit complicated I think, because you will get a difference of opinion. Many Insurance companies now include various charges within their policy t&c's. If you have a Car Insurance on a monthly Direct Debit, some companies will seek to charge you £20 or £30 for a failed DD payment and may even withdraw monthly payment, requiring the remaining years premium to be paid or for the policy to be cancelled. As long as these t&c's are advised to customers up front they are found to be perfectly proper as from what I gather the FOS or OFT don't appear that interested in 'excessive' charge complaints.

On the other hand if you had a credit card or bank account over a long period of time and new t&c's were impossed with excessive charges applied, just with notice in the form of a leaflet with a statement, then I think you would have a legitimate complaint.

My non expert opinion is that it would depend on the financial product and whether you were a new or existing customer.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I understand what you are saying but as to the Dunlop judgement

Anything above what is reasonable will be classed as a penalty

A companies own terms and conditions to not overide statutory provision or case law, so if that provision is in place in a contract, it will be unlawful as to the unfair contracts regulation

My take on it anyway, but please keep it coming people