Admiral taken unauthorised payment

Mosh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was insured with Admiral (car) for the last two years. This year, as last, my renewal notice came through and it was ridiculous, so I shopped around. The notice told me that payment was due on the 30th of June, which is when my current policy would end.

I found eSure undercut them by around 50% so set up my new policy with them on the 23rd, rang Admiral and told them not to renew. This they acceded to, and I downloaded and sent my No Claims proof to eSure.

All fine. Until I check my bank balance on the 29th (tonight) and notice that I'm a bit short. £620.10 short, to be precise, due to Admiral debiting my account for that sum (the increased premium) on the 19th of the month.

While I'm aware that they have the right to automatically renew my policy should I not tell them otherwise (their way of "helping" ensure I don't wind up uninsured courtesy of the recent changes in law), there's no reason for them to take the payment a fortnight before the policy is due to expire and before the due date they listed in the email.

I've also been onto their website and the policy which I was told on the phone I would not have (2013-2014) is there for all to see; cover note, policy details and all.

As a result, I am likely to go overdrawn and be unable to pay some bills until this is rectified.

Do I have a right to compensation as they've obviously screwed up? And is it worth my while writing to the Ombudsman?

You should tell your bank that this was an unauthorised withdrawal and you want your money back. I would think if you are subjected to charges or any other financial inconvenience then yes, I would say you would be able to make a claim for those.

If either Admiral or the bank don't return your money and PDQ, then I guess the ombudsman is your next step.

• Confused 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks, citizenB. I'm with Nationwide and they've been very good in the past - I'll give them a call as soon as I can, but (Sod's law), I discover this on a Saturday night. And, just to make things worse, we go on holiday on Tuesday morning so won't be able to chase things for a week!

*silently fumes* I almost feel sorry for whoever I speak to at Admiral tomorrow.

Please let us know how you get on !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Of course you have done your cancellation business on the phone without recording the call. You have been a Cagger since 2010 - you should have known that this always leaves you open to trouble.

Take the advice you have been given and tell your bank that it is an unauthorised withdrawal - but put this in writing as well and make sure that the bank gets it before you go away.

Write to Admiral and tell them that you have informed your bank and that if the money is not returned by the time you return form holiday, that you will begin formal action. Do this in writing

Thanks, guys. Recording calls just isn't something you think of until after the fact... Admiral have, however, acknowledged by cancellation by mail.

I called Nationwide and registered the disputed withdrawal. As it's through a Visa Debit card, there's a fair bit of procedure and I'll have paperwork arriving to confirm the details. I doubt it'll arrive before we go, though :-/

Emailed Admiral via their website and will also call them tomorrow.

Regardless, I'm notifying the ombudsman.

Good. If you have their acknowledgement - that's all you need.

Send a copy to your bank and require immediate repayment of the money.

Tell Admiral that you want compensation

I wonder if the new cpa rules plays a part here

banks have been told this week they must action cpa request immediately.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I doubt it on the basis that I hadn't canceled the recurring payment before it was taken. Admiral just decided to debit my account 11 days before the due date.

So it was an unauthorized transaction which ca be refunded immediately and investigated later. The bank is giving you the run around.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

yes but you had told them and they had ack'd you did not wish to renew?

if that's so nationwide should refund NOW.

ask questions later.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good job. Make sure you tell your bank in writing to decline any transactions from Admiral from now on, incase they try and continue to debit money. You also need to get a full complaint into admiral about what they have done. This will cover your back if they try and take anything again or chase you for a non existant debt.

The bigger the paper trail you have, the better your chances at combatting anything they might throw at you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Immediate refund by 12 noon tomorrow is what you should DEMAND, and Nationwide should make funds available for your holiday.

DDs are written as ''payment will be taken ON OR AFTER THE SPECIFIED DATE'' to protect you against funds being taken earlier, NW should have been fully aware of the due date.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

for others can you please outline what process caused this outcome.

dx

and they

for others can you please outline what process caused this outcome.

dx

Would be interesting to know how this resolution came about.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: