Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Needed to move to ground floor property due to husband's ill health, viewed property on very hot day, all windows open and flat was fresh and well aired. Contents looked a bit tired and this was noted to agents but thought all that was needed was a bit of decoration.


Signed lease and paid deposit etc, got keys yesterday and on closer inspection the flat is damp and smells really damp, black mold on windows and other hidden areas. As I had informed agents of my husband's ill health is it more than remiss of them to neglect to inform me that the property had been treated earlier for a damp issue and I hasten to say that I think it is far from eradicated.


I am now paying for my present flat and expected to pay for a flat that is uninhabitable for my husband, he has COPD and damp and mold will make him very ill.


Is there any way that I can get out of this legal contract for medical circumstances?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to CAG.


I have moved your thread to the correct forum where you should soon receive some advice.


Have you considered contacting Shelter for some advice as well ? They don't just deal with Homeless situations but have a department that deals with situations such as yours.




or telephone


Ring 0808 800 4444


8am-8pm Monday-Friday

8am-5pm Saturday-Sunday


Calls are free from UK landlines and main

mobile networks (Vodafone, O2, EE and

Virgin Mobile).

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS


Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Link to post
Share on other sites

You should immediately contact your local council (they have a team who deal with problem properties - trouble is i cant remember what the team is called)- could be the environmental health officer) they will come round and have a look and write a report - hopefully showing that damp exists, the landlord will then have to put it wright - you may be able to cancel the lease if the council do find the property is suffering from damp - if the landlord fails to put it wright then you can take him to the property ombudsman

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes contact environmental health and get them to inspect; if damp and toxic mould present then flat and contract will be voided or repairs to be done immediately.

this may help


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...