Safety & overcrowding..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Standing on the stairs of a moving bus is a big no no. The driver should be making sure it doesnt happen.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Standing on the stairs of a moving bus is a big no no. The driver should be making sure it doesnt happen.

We all know what should be done but lets be honest, there would be confrontations all over the place. No one listens anyway. The other problem is people not moving down the bus, Many a time I have felt the need to raise my voice along the lines of ' come on folks unless we move down this could be a safety issue (or words to that effect) People blankly look ahead and no one appears to be home. My opinion is I don't think anyone should have to stand on public transport anyway..

Its the drivers responsibility to ensure people follow the rules. Hes the one driving. He can easily stay at a stop until people follow his orders.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I live on the outskirts of a small city. If the drivers wont do the job they are paid to do.....

I have an idea. Get community support officers to take the role of conductors. They don't do much else as it is and this would allow the driver to concentrate on driving and not having to be concerned with unsociable behaviour..

Its the drivers responsibility to ensure people follow the rules. Hes the one driving. He can easily stay at a stop until people follow his orders.

Anyway, back in the real world..................................

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

Anyway, back in the real world..................................

I am talking about the real world. Those are the rules which pretty much every bus company uses. Drivers however normally think rules dont apply to them.

Speaking as an ex bus driver, unfortunately the buck does stop with us. We are responsible at the end of the day and do have the ultimate discretion on the way the passengers are being carried. I always tried to avoid having standing passengers but it became difficult when it was made compulsory to have the maximum passenger capacities displayed in the boarding area of the bus. On a double deck vehicle I think it was 12 standing and on a full length single deck it was 20. Those amounts were excessive IMHO and you have to consider the weather conditions etc. Can you imagine having to make an emergency stop with that amount of standing passengers?

Apart from the safety issues involving standing passengers, it also saves on vehicles... the more standing passengers you carried, the less vehicles were needed thus less jobs.

But having said all that, passengers should not be allowed to stand on the upper deck or on the staircase under any circumstances.

I have an idea. Get community support officers to take the role of conductors. They don't do much else as it is and this would allow the driver to concentrate on driving and not having to be concerned with unsociable behaviour..

Or not.

This might not be very popular, but hey ho!

The buck stops with the driver, and it's their licence at risk if it all goes wrong. If they refuse to move their bus until passengers are safely loaded, said passengers will soon get the picture and tow the line. If in London, and passengers are refusing to play ball, their control room can easily be made aware and the Police can be called it need be.

Or not.

This might not be very popular, but hey ho!

The buck stops with the driver, and it's their licence at risk if it all goes wrong. If they refuse to move their bus until passengers are safely loaded, said passengers will soon get the picture and tow the line. If in London, and passengers are refusing to play ball, their control room can easily be made aware and the Police can be called it need be.

Easier said than done.

I'm a london bus driver, try talking common sense to the public=no chance!

• Confused 1

To be fair dude i always refuse to move the bus if people are standing on the stairs but it is one of the more difficult things to police as (on our buses anyway) you really can't see the stairs. We ought to have a camera there or something.

"Join our Campaign for Change and help drive the industry forward." ~ Rossendales

Yeah I'll help you drive the industry forward. Forward off Beachy Head! ~ Me

Easier said than done.

I'm a london bus driver, try talking common sense to the public=no chance!

Damn right. One of our drivers posted the following conversation on the mighty fb today:

"Excuse me that baby has been crying for 20 minutes or so. Can you not ask the mum to get off?"

"Excuse me?"

"The baby. It's crying"

"Yeah?"

"Can't you ask them to get off. For the comfort of the other passengers?"

"No. I'm not gonna ask a woman to get off with her baby. Because its crying. It's a baby. They cry"

"We'll, what am I supposed to do?"

"It's a nice day. Walk"

Who do you work for btw?

"Join our Campaign for Change and help drive the industry forward." ~ Rossendales

• 3 weeks later...

Yep had a similar conversation more than once on my train (when I was a guard) told the complainer to move coaches and they said 'but I've got a comfy seat now..........' jesus H christ.

• 4 weeks later...

Won't happen. The most red bus drivers do is play the automated announcements "No standing on the upper deck or stairs please" and "please move down inside the bus".

They are banned from making their own announcements and can only use the automated system.

Thats cobblers.

We have a PA system and are allowed to use it.

I was joking. A tube driver I know regularly makes the same remark himself- over the PA!!! I think a reference to the fact that they would like everything to be automatic eh...

Anyway if it weren't for cobblers... you'd have sore feet bro :p

I did this today. Someone standing upstairs and I wouldn't move the bus til they came down. Unfortunately foreign students are the worst culprits for this as often they just don't respond when you tell them something.

The other thing is if I'm sitting by the window and someone is sitting in the asile and its my time to get off, I would expect that person to stand up for me rather then just swing there legs round. The exception to that would be if the person is elderly or unsteady on there feet for whatever reason. Travelling on buses is stressful..