can you stand in 1st class?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So, after seeing a recent 1st class scenario play out on here, my question is:

Can you stand in the 1st Class area if the train is busy?

I assume you can stand but not sit - unless you have stupidly paid for a 1st class seat?!

It did make me chuckle once seeing a passenger argue with the Inspector when being charged for sitting on one without a ticket.... his response was 'I will happily pay for the 1st class seat if you can explain what warrents this to be 1st Class?!'...

The signs say you can't stand in the area, so I imagine its not allowed. However I have been forced to do it many times. It is quite common for the trains into London to be so packed that there is literally no standing room. You can't resist the mass of people pushing and shoving down the carriage even if you want to.

To be fair, I see ticket inspectors all the time on quiet trains. But I have never seen an inspector on the packed trains during morning rush hour. I guess it would be physically impossible for him to move along the carriage.

Edited by steampowered

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

You cannot remain in any part of a first class carriage unless you have a first class ticket.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

We all know how difficult it can be on packed commuter services, but the rule is clear and as others have said, you cannot travel in a First Class carriage using a Standard Class ticket unless given specific authority by the on-train staff.

At worst, standing in First Class without a first class ticket and ignoring an instruction to leave, or failing to pay the appropriate fare if requested can lead to prosecution of a strict liability offence contrary to National Railway Byelaw 19 (2005)

I sat in a first class once when no seats were available in standard. It seemed wise on the grounds of safety to do do..

Unfortunately that does not negate the liability in terms of the legislation in force. Travellers standing on busy Buses & Trains are accepted as normal practice.

If the traveller is asked to pay and fails, or refuses, to quit the carriage in these circumstances, the Magistrates will convict if a breach of Byelaw 19 is charged.

I would be guided by the inspector as to where it would be safe in that case..

In the event of a collision or derailment, it is actually safer to be on an absolutely packed train then on an empty one. People cannot be thrown around, which, usually, is the main cause of injury.

In any event, the Inspector would correctly guide you to the platform, to await the next train or offer you an opportunity to upgrade your class of travel, and arrive at your destination in additional comfort.