BankFodder BankFodder

Nystagmite

The welfare cap just gets worse and worse...

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2467 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Surprised there's not a thread about this already.

Last year, it was announced that there would be a £26k benefit cap for many people of working age.

They've now gone one step further and introduced a benefit cap as a whole, which includes DLA and housing benefits. So, you're going to have 2 people with the same disabilities and care needs and due to the cap, only one will get DLA. How is that even legal?

Will try to find more information this later.

Haven't heard anything about this.

Only new cap I've read about is a cap on total welfare spending (barring pensions), which is little more than a PR exercise.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

26K is still a lot of money.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

And guess how much of that will be going to private landlords? I hell of a lot I'd wager.

If the government want to reduce welfare bills how about they tackle inflated rents instead of targeting the poor?

If the government want to reduce welfare bills how about they tackle inflated rents instead of targeting the poor?

Agreed. I think that has to be sorted out first.

Haven't heard anything about this.

Only new cap I've read about is a cap on total welfare spending (barring pensions), which is little more than a PR exercise.

Exactly. they have set out a legal framework that will not allow this government or any future government to increase the Welfare budget beyond the current level. This excludes the State Pension. If the limit is breached, the government of the day will have to apply for permission of Parliament first. It is simply a way of restricting any government that thinks that increasing the welfare budget will be good fun and good for the economy. I presume it will be linked to a fixed percentage of GDP.

Agreed. I think that has to be sorted out first.

If you are talking about private lets, that will not happen unless we go back to the old days of rental increase restrictions that were settled by another government quango - the Rent Tribunal.

It is all a question of supply and demand. When demand is high, as it is at the moment, and supply is short, rents will go up. If it goes the other way and that there is a glut of properties chasing just a few tenants, then rents will decrease.

Besides which, we are talking about a business which is expecting to make a profit.

The only way forward is to expand drastically the building of social housing. Who is going to fund that?

As it is, we are fast becoming towns of nothing but acres of social housing/private lets. It is fast becoming impossible to buy a property that is not next door to rented property. I'm not a snob, but I do object to the way some people look after rental properties - or don't as the case may be.