cracked screen after 6 weeks?

Bunto
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I bought an Acer aspire from PC world about 6 weeks ago and i have just stood on the screen and cracked it. I have dealt with this pc world before and they have screwed me over in the past so I know what to expect.

The only difference this time Is the time scale and the fact it is still under warranty.

Do I have a leg to stand on as I broke it myself or is the warranty useless?

Thanks for your time.

don't have a leg to stand -on when you stood on the screen :lol:

sri had to laugh.

even their knowhow ins would not cover that they'd wriggle out of it somehow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your replies. No I don't have insurance, they did offer me it when I bought the laptop. I was wondering if I could take out an insurance then report it broken in a few week's?

Thanks again.

No because that would be fraud. House insurance is your best route now I think. Is it just the panel that has broken? If so then a new screen wouldn't cost much to supply and fit, if you ask around local repair companies.

Edited by porkyp1g

depending on the screen required prices range from £40 - £100 (most screens I purchase average £45/£55)

then I charge £25.00 fitting fee.

Depending on model, some are very easy to replace, check Google, chances are there will be a video on screen replacement for your model

that you could follow.

George

Look on ebay or a suppliers site and find a screen that is the same size. It takes around 15 mins - an hour or so dependant on experience to sling the old one out and fit the new one.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Do it yourself as advised dead easy.

it'll be cheaper than the insurance to boot!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Changing the screen on the laptop is stupidly simple. You unscrew a couple of screws, carefully open the "lid", unscrew and unconnect the old monitor, and screw in and connect the new one. It really is as simple as that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

look on youtube, type acer aspire (model num) screen replacement, you may be lucky and have a vid on there, i had to completely take apart my old dell inspiron 15r recently which was a total pain, luckily enough there was a vid showing step by step

You don't have to touch the lid, it's the LCD bezel you need to remove. The lid is the top, usually with the logo on it. Monitor? You mean LCD panel surely.

To be fair, the new ones are getting harder to do easily due to the thin design. Everything is delicate and intricately packed in, might be worth getting a professional do it.

You don't have to touch the lid, it's the LCD bezel you need to remove. The lid is the top, usually with the logo on it. Monitor? You mean LCD panel surely.

To be fair, the new ones are getting harder to do easily due to the thin design. Everything is delicate and intricately packed in, might be worth getting a professional do it.

While i agree in part, i wouldnt get a professional to do it unless it is one of the latest models out. The reason being that many Repair guys charge astronomical fee's simply because it is a new model and they claim it is 'difficult' to repair.

While i agree in part, i wouldnt get a professional to do it unless it is one of the latest models out. The reason being that many Repair guys charge astronomical fee's simply because it is a new model and they claim it is 'difficult' to repair.

Huh? Some of the newer models can be very easy to break if done wrong, due to the slimline design. Just to confirm, you advise doing it if it's newer then?

Huh? Some of the newer models can be very easy to break if done wrong, due to the slimline design. Just to confirm, you advise doing it if it's newer then?

While i agree in part, i wouldnt get a professional to do it unless it is one of the latest models out.

I don't see the confusion.. Pretty much every laptop screen is easy to repair, unless it is on the latest generation of machines. Having taken a fair number of them apart, they seem to be more "woven" into the entire system now. Possibly so you have to send it back and pay them to repair. Older versions, ive only ever had one problem with, and thats where one of the leads wouldnt disconnect from the base.

You said the reason being you wouldn't get a professional to do it is because they make out that new models are difficult to repair. After you said you would only get them to repair a newer machine.

Anyway, if the op has left the laptop in a place where he can stand on it, I.e. on the floor, them it's likely to be more than just the panel, plastics as well. I don't know how people can treat expensive items with such little care to leave them laying around where they can get trodden on.