• Tweets

• You can only do your best, tnook. We'll support you no matter what.   The people on the other end of the line are only human beings and you're worth as much as they are. Just go through your arguments and don't be intimidated.     HB
    • I’m wondering how and why this person has got involved? She states that she works for West Midlands police in the cyber bullying/online fraud department. How would this have come to her attention?   The only picture that I have seen of someone on here was posted on Facebook 6 years ago - maybe 17 at the time but would be 24 now. No one is physically threatening this person or has anyone contacted him through Facebook (have they?) We, as victims, are merely conducting our own research, as it does not seem to be of interest to the police - more a civil matter.   My son in law holds the same position as the author with Staffordshire Police and he told me that he would be dismissed if he provided this information online. In fact, any official contact from the police must be made through the appropriate channels, including the officer’s full professional details. This is not an official police warning.  Knowing what I do about this slippery car dealer and the fact that HE follows these threads, I would be more likely to believe that this has something to do with him.
    • No I'm afraid everything here is done in the open. We are all very honest and straight dealing and also we have helped people in respect of this company before – they may be aware of us – but does it really matter? You started off this thread by asking how to they get away with it? The answer is that because even their own customers like to keep the problem secret so it becomes not generally known. If you want to do this secretly then you are simply bringing comfort to the sofa company. Is that what you want? Why?
    • I would like your help but I dont feel comfortable disclosing everything on here as it will be in the public domain.    Is there any way I can discuss my matter privately?    Thanks
    • Two hours to go (11am hearing) going to wear a hole in the carpet so nervous.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1386 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I have read a few posts with people having trouble with Capital one not refunding PPI, but the ones with the same scenario as us are from a few years ago..

My husband took out a credit card with Capital one in 2007.

on the form he did not tick the PPI box,

We have a copy of this which they kindly (!) sent us with the rejection letter.

They say that when he phoned to activate the card the member of staff offered it then and he accepted.

Now obviously we dont remember him being asked this.

He was working in the same place as he is now which pays good sick and redundancy pay so we dont think he would have said yes to PPI.

Is it worth writing to ask for proof or better just to SAR Capital one for all documentation/transcript of telephone call?

If anyone has had the same problem, can you advise the outcome for you?

Thank you.

If you have not yet done a SAR to Cap1 then that should be thing to do now.

Make sure in your SAR letter you ask specifically for the copy of the phone call. They always try this one so it is nothing new.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thanks Ims21.

Im really lazy so was hoping that they would have been nice to us and instantly said Yes, you were right!

Lets hope the others come back with a better reply! Though from reading some of these posts, it doesnt look like it!

Thank you

yes std trick letter

there was a 'sticker [white]

on the card

and you didn't actually need to do it

the card worked anyway.

just keep asking them for PROOF of the transcript of the call.

COMMS log notes do NOT count.

they'll try that too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is up to them to prove it and I very much doubt that they still have the recording. Write to the Financial Ombudsman Service at South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR - they are very aware that Capital One and Lloyds Bank have been rejecting claims as a matter of course at first contact.

Thanks dx.

I think Ill send letter first in response to theirs, saying thanks for copy of application but can I have transcript of the call as Proof.

If that fails then I'll SAR.

Its a plan of sorts..

Cath

PS I didnt know that the card worked without you ringing to activate! They must see me coming a mile off!! LOL

I wouldn't get fos involved yet.

You stand the chance of opening a formal complaint about the PPI claim in general an you might get tied up for months and months waiting for them to resolve it.

Always challenge these things with the lender first. That way you build a bigger and stronger case if and when a referral to fos is necessary.

Don't forget, there are many threads on here where lenders have "changed their minds" when claimants stand up to them.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Ok Ims

Ill keep that up my sleeve for now then and use later on if I dont get anywhere with them.

Thanks for the advice:-)

Cath

• 3 years later...

Did you get anywhere with Capital one? I had the same issue where I apparently agreed to PPI when I activated my card however capital 1 has also stated that they could not locate the phone conversation so how can they prove my PPI was not mis-sold to me? does anyone have any advice on how I should deal with this?

Did you get anywhere with Capital one? I had the same issue where I apparently agreed to PPI when I activated my card however capital 1 has also stated that they could not locate the phone conversation so how can they prove my PPI was not mis-sold to me? does anyone have any advice on how I should deal with this?

Hello sisi. The OP hasn't been back since June 2013 so you're unlikely to get an answer. You have your own thread now, please post on that.

Thread closed, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1386 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you