style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi was just wondering if anyone could advise me here. I received 2 letters today delivered by hand from a bailiff working for Rossendales regarding unpaid council tax. I believe this is to do with unpaid council tax from a flat I lived in about a year ago but I have not received any warnings or notices prior to this bailiff turning up today!

Also the bailiff turned up at my parents house and I don't live there anyway! He is threatening to take their possessions to pay for my debt even though nothing in that house belongs to me!!

At the moment I don't have a fixed address but surely some notices or warnings regarding this debt should have gone to my parents house if that was where the baliff was going to turn up??

I am going to send a cease and desist letter to the bailiffs for my parents address and then send another letter to the bailiff stating that I did not know I owed any money, I hadn't received any letters before this and I don't live at the address he visited.

I can't afford to pay the full amount straight away but have asked if I could set up a payment plan.

I have just started a DMP with stepchange so I would have just included this debt on that if I had known about it!!

Can anyone advise me if I am doing the right thing with the letters? Also should I phone the bailiff to discuss this?

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you and sorry for the long winded explanation! Hope it makes sense!!

Hello there. Welcome to CAG.

Council Tax bailiffs will need to gain entry to the property peacefully, you must ensure that they never gain entry to the property (they can open unlocked doors and go through open windows) - keep the property secure.

As you no longer live at the address your parents could obtain a 'statutory declaration' - which is a legal statement that the bailiff would have to adhere to stating that you don't live there. These typically cost about £15 - you can get one from a solicitor or from a court.

Here's a useful fact sheet:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=02_bailiffs_and_council_tax

Seq.