UK debt chased in Aus 4 years after leaving UK- By Ruthbridge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for any advice regarding my debt issues.

I left the UK almost 5 years ago to Live in Aus. On leaving I paid back all debts except a bank loan which I continued to repay for nearly 18 months.

Due to financial stress I had no option but to use UK credit cards to pay for food, fees etc. I still managed to make repayments for these for about 18 months. In short I owe approx. 20k GB before any interest is added.

I have never until last week received any correspondence regarding the non payment of this debt here in Aus.

I was aware that a letter or 2 had been sent to my in laws house addressed chasing the money. These were returned to sender stating that I did not and have never lived at that address.

Things have taken a real turn for the worse. My Mother in law died recently. Letters are still being sent to

her most recently by Ruthbridge, now threatening court action, bailiffs etc.

I have read how Ruthbridge use these scare tactics to illicit a response from the debtor. However the mail is now being opened by Brother in laws etc who in the midst of compiling accounts for probate are now scared that this will effect the execution of the will and think that the Bailiffs will be entitled to seize goods in my mother in laws house and even make claim the house itself.

I wish to do the right thing by my family - all of which knew previously of our debt but had never been personally involved until now.

What do I do? Selfishly I cant afford to or want to repay the debt. If there is no option to then I will. But being in a different country I am stuck as to what the best course of action should be for my immediate family on Aus and my extended family in UK.

Any advise would be most helpful

The DCA does not have any right to seize your mother-in-law's goods to pay your debts. Parents are not liable for the debts of their children. She did not enter into any contract with the credit card company.

They could potentially pursue you in Aus, but would need your address.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi welcome to CAG.

Ruthbridge are well know for chasing very old and/or statute barred debts.

NO one seize any good unless there is a court order in place and certainly

not in this case.

Your family should continue to return ALL correspondence to the sender unopened, perhaps you would like to pass this on to them to send to Ruthbridge.

To The Data Controller

Ruthbridge Ltd.

Ref: your name.

Sir/Madam

Formal Notice of Disassociation:

TAKE NOTE Mr xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx is NOT NOW NOR EVER HAS BEEN RESIDENT AT (give address) Ruthbridge Ltd WILL now cease sending mail addressed to Mr xxxxx xxxx to this address and MUST desist from doing so in the future.

Failure to comply will results in complaints to the OFT and the FCA regarding the conduct of the company in this matter, furthermore id any further mail is sent to this address this may amount to harassment and suitable action will be taken.

They should send this by recorded delivery and check the date it is received.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you for your helpful reply. One question about the letter of disassociation is that should this be signed at all with a yours Sincerely Mr...........l, or should it terminate just as you have shown below.

Thanks again

Ref: your name.

Sir/Madam

Formal Notice of Disassociation:

TAKE NOTE Mr xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx is NOT NOW NOR EVER HAS BEEN RESIDENT AT (give address) Ruthbridge Ltd WILL now cease sending mail addressed to Mr xxxxx xxxx to this address and MUST desist from doing so in the future.

Failure to comply will results in complaints to the OFT and the FCA regarding the conduct of the company in this matter, furthermore id any further mail is sent to this address this may amount to harassment and suitable action will be taken.

They should send this by recorded delivery and check the date it is received.

Terminate with, Signed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..........Dated.....................:

put xxxxxxxxxxxx and sign over that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: