• Tweets

• Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Void Insurance Causing Problems

Franky0707
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I recently had my car insurance made void by the underwriters due to them interpreting my occupation as different to what my business ACTUALLY is.

Asda/Southern Rock are claiming I should have put "Door Supervisor" as my occupation in their dropdown box. I selected "Other - Professional" from the first dropdown box, and "Security Services" from the second dropdown box.

I argue that even though I was performing Door Supervisor duties at the time my car was maliciously damaged, my business includes Surveillance, Security Guarding, Manned Guarding, and other security duties within the security industry.

In fact, the Nature of Business as described on Companies House is "80100 - Private security activities".

I also argue that if I were to put Door Supervisor as my occupation, and were to perform one of the other duties that my company provides, then Door Supervisor would be misleading to the insurers. Hence, why "Other - Professional" and "Security Services" was the most accurate description from the dropdown boxes.

I have complained to the Financial Ombudsman about this.

I have a new job starting with Sunwin/Co-Op over the next couple of weeks, where I will be employed, rather than self-employed. The job is a Cash and Valuables in Transit Officer, which mainly involves driving.

My question is: Now that the underwriters have made my insurance void, I am struggling to get personal motor insurance.

Will my personal insurance being made void affect me getting insured on my new employer's business motor insurance?

Hi all.

I recently had my car insurance made void by the underwriters due to them interpreting my occupation as different to what my business ACTUALLY is.

Asda/Southern Rock are claiming I should have put "Door Supervisor" as my occupation in their dropdown box. I selected "Other - Professional" from the first dropdown box, and "Security Services" from the second dropdown box.

I argue that even though I was performing Door Supervisor duties at the time my car was maliciously damaged, my business includes Surveillance, Security Guarding, Manned Guarding, and other security duties within the security industry.

In fact, the Nature of Business as described on Companies House is "80100 - Private security activities".

I also argue that if I were to put Door Supervisor as my occupation, and were to perform one of the other duties that my company provides, then Door Supervisor would be misleading to the insurers. Hence, why "Other - Professional" and "Security Services" was the most accurate description from the dropdown boxes.

I have complained to the Financial Ombudsman about this.

I have a new job starting with Sunwin/Co-Op over the next couple of weeks, where I will be employed, rather than self-employed. The job is a Cash and Valuables in Transit Officer, which mainly involves driving.

My question is: Now that the underwriters have made my insurance void, I am struggling to get personal motor insurance.

Will my personal insurance being made void affect me getting insured on my new employer's business motor insurance?

Should not affect a commercial motor Insurance arranged by your employer in their name. They are more interested in convictions of any variety.

Think the Insurers have made a mistake voiding the policy. The FOS view this as something that should only be done in exceptional circumstances. It is not your fault that the occupation data capture on the online facility is faulty. They should automatically not quote online for anyone in the security industry and ask people to call them. Then this issue could be avoided.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your reply.

With what you said in mind, would it not be the insurers duty to ring me once "Other - Professional" had been selected so they could find out exactly what me occupation entails BEFORE insuring me?

Thanks for your reply.

With what you said in mind, would it not be the insurers duty to ring me once "Other - Professional" had been selected so they could find out exactly what me occupation entails BEFORE insuring me?

Yes they should have contacted you for more details. But really they should not have allowed you to obtain a policy online and should have made the occupations stop a policy being issued, with a requirement to call them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Where was the car when it was damaged? Was the damage anything to do with your job?

The car was maliciously damaged whilst I was at work, and my car was parked on the road in the city centre near my place of work.

Four out of the five wheel nuts were taken out of the rear-left wheel, and the nut that was left in was loosened. My wheel came off whilst I was driving on the motorway on the way home from work. I had to call recovery at 6.30am in the morning.

But you haven't answered the question - was the damage anything to do with your job?

I don't understand in which context you mean was it anything to do with my job? Can you elaborate please?

Yes, I was at work when the individuals took the nuts out of my car. The police couldn't find anything on the city centre camera's to convict anyone though.

For instance, were the scallys who damaged your car, angry at you because you bounced them out of the club?

Did they know who you are?

Is there any evidence that in some way they damaged your car because of some incident which occurred while you were carrying out your duties

No, nobody was bounced out of any club. The individuals who I claim it were didn't/don't know me, and I presume they were just trying to prove a point after being refused entry after closing time by my colleagues. I just happened to be there. I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In other words, the damage had nothing to do with your job - or to put it another way, your job did not materially affect the risk in any way. In that case I would say that the insurer is acting unlawfully and you can take action against them if you want - although it will take effort and persistence.

If you are up for it - and up to it, come back here tomorrow and I'll tell you what to do. I have to go out now

In the meantime look at ICOBS - r.8.1.2 http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/ICOBS - because the answer is all in there.

Yes, I'll be back on here tomorrow. Thanks for your advice, and I'll read through your link.

That fact that it happened while you were at work and the Insurers see a connection is the reason for the voidance. But I still think that you did not deliberately give any false information and are a victim of the Insurers internet system being too loose in regard to their underwriting of occupations. The Insurers should realise that anyone in the security industry may carry out a variety of roles and many will have to use their car to travel to their place of work.

Did you properly disclose that you were going to use your car to commute to various places of work ? If not, this may be the main reason for voidance.

Insurance companies are not allowed to refuse cover for some reason which does not affect the risk.

The usual trick is that they try to say that you must report the incident within 48 hours or else you are not covered. This is unlawful.

If yo are prepared to argue that the damage to the car was not related to your job in anyway so that your job did not create or contribute to the risk - then the insurers should have paid out.

If they are not able to show that there is some term which says that they will not cover people in your profession, then they are acting unlawfully.

If you are able to say that you answered the online questionnaire as fully and as honestly as possible, then there is no basis for them to refuse cover.

You have gone to the FOS. In addition to this taking a long time, they are unlikley to find in your favour because they don't seem to challenging industry practice and because they don't seem to be keen to cut new ground.

If you want to deal with this quickly and seriously then you would have to consider a small claim in the County Court on the basis that the insurers have breached ICOB r.8.1.2 in that they have refused cover for a reason which has nothing to do with the risk - and that they have breached COBS in that they have treated you unfairly in that they did not communicate with you fairly and that they were unfair in rejecting you even though they entered into a contract with you on the basis of information which was correctly entered into their online questionnaire.

The insurer will raise a storm about this because they won't be used to being challenged in this way. Insurers regularly breach ICOBS and no one ever does anything about it. Here is your chance to stand up to them if you want.

It won't be straightforward but it would be sporty with a high chance of success.

To quote the letter sent from Southern rock, the underwriters:

““It has come to our attention that you are a door supervisor.

When completing your policy online via (Asda) to commence on ??st October 2012, you were asked to enter your “Occupation” You entered “Other – Professional”, this was clearly incorrect.

Had we been aware of the above at inception of the policy, we would not have offered insurance under any terms. This was material information which you failed to disclose.

May I draw your attention Asda’s “Terms of Business” which clearly state the following:

Disclosure of Information

CVD expects you to provide complete and accurate information when you take out your insurance policy, throughout the lifetime of the policy and when you renew your insurance. If you’re unsure about disclosing information please contact us for guidance. Any information that may influence your insurer to accept, amend or decline your insurance proposal or renewal must be disclosed. If you’re unsure about disclosing any matter please contact us for guidance.

Failure to disclose any material information or inaccuracies in the information given could invalidate you insurance cover and mean that part or all of your claim not be paid. Any advice we offer will be based on the details you provide.

You’re reminded that it is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to make any false statements or withhold any relevant information to obtain a Certificate of Motor Insurance.

May I also draw your attention to the “Policy Wordings”, under “General Conditions Applying to the Whole Policy, it clearly states:

Your Duty

Changes which may affect Your Cover

Your insurance cover and premium is based on the information You supplied to Us in the most recent Statement of Information. You must check the details carefully when You take out Your Insurance Policy, throughout the lifetime of the Policy and when you renew Your insurance. If You are unsure about disclosing any information please contact Us for guidance on (Asda).

Failure to disclose any information or inaccuracies in the information given could invalidate Your insurance cover and mean that part or all of Your claim may not be paid.

Note: If You fail to provide complete and accurate information to the best of Your knowledge and belief when You take out Your insurance Policy or if You do not tell Us about any relevant changes, We may:

• Reject Your claim.

• Reduce, make deductions from or pay only a proportion of Your claim.

• Cancel and invalidate the Policy.

• Void the Policy, which means to treat as though the Policy never existed.

• Do a combination of the above.

All changes should be made online at (Asda)

You should keep a record of the information You give in relation to this Policy. If You did not or do not give full and accurate information or You fail to notify Us of any changes in circumstances, this Policy may be rendered invalid and We may refuse to deal with any claim You might make.””

I argue that I DID give the most accurate information to the best of my knowledge because I used the most viable options that were available to me online at the time.

Asda are also saying that they will give a full refund, but this still voids my insurance, not fixing the problem.

If I were to accept my car back, will this affect the dispute I have with Asda, even though the car is my property?

Do I now seek legal aid?

If I were to accept my car back, will this affect the dispute I have with Asda, even though the car is my property?

Do I now seek legal aid?

What's the bit about not having the car about ?

You didn't mention this before.

You won't get legal aid for this

Eldon Insurance, the claim handlers, took my car because it had to be recovered from the motorway. Consequently, it was cat d written-off. And now they are saying they will return my car, and Asda have said today that they will be returning my premium. And my point is that the car is still my property, because the Asda have said the policy is voided from the inception, which means it never existed.

Well in that case you have to write them a formal letter.

Put them on notice that you rject their position and that you consider that the insurance is not void.

Tell them that you answered all the questions on their online application as honestly as you could within the constraints of the questionnaire which was designed by them using their own experience and expertise.

Tell them that their letter is not accurate as it refers only to the part which mentions "professional". However, you indicated that you are a professional and that you then went on to indicate "security services" and that if they had any questions then they had all of your contact details and could have raised the matter with you but they chose not to.

Point out to them the description at companies house.

Tell them that you are not a door supervisor but that you are a security professional and that you offer a range of security services. However this has included acting a door supervisor from time to time.

Tell them that in any event, the damage which occurred to your vehicle had nothing to do with your professional life but that if they believe that it did, then they should explain in what way this was.

tell them that in any event they are attempting unreasonably to reject your claim

(1) non-disclosure of a fact material to the risk which the policyholder could not reasonably be expected to have disclosed; or

(2) non-negligent misrepresentation of a fact material to the risk;

as per rule 8 of the FCA's Insurance:Conduct of Business Regulations.

Warn them that you consider that they are in breach of their statutory duty and that if they do not restore the insurance and meet the claim as required by the contract, you will be taking action against them in the County Court.

By the way, don't expect them to roll over in the face of this letter - you will probably have to take action so be prepared to do it - or don't make the threat

So, Asda has said today over the phone that they will stand firm on their decision and send out a final offer of returning me my premium, but still voiding my insurance.

Do I wait until after the letter is received before I threaten them with court action, or do I wait as long as it takes for the likes of the Financial Ombudsman to complete their investigation?

Why are you doing anything on the phone?

It should be everything in writing from now on.

If you have already begin a complaint to the FOS then maybe you should write to them and tell them that you want your complaint to be considered under ICOBS. However, whatever you do you should realise that nothing will happen as a result of phone calls

Absolutely. It is the only valid argument that you have. But it is extremely powerful. The FOS is unlikely to go for it - I don't know why but they seem to steer clear of all of the COBS rules.

The court will find in your favour as long as you can convince the judge that your job had nothing to do with the risk