• Tweets

• Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

gullyver v HSBC and their attitude to bank charges & complaints

Gullyver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

]This is a very interesting post.

Well dear friends consider me in as I have a mountian of problems with HSBC. The bank is acting as a bunch of pirate of the worst kind.

My problem with HSBC begun last March 2013 when they send me a letter stating that they would add £20,000 to pay for service charges claimed by that fraudster of the freeholder.

these the steps I took so far:

1) Asked the bank to show me the lawful evidence which should authorise their enforcement of the Mortgage Deed terms and conditions with 3 Letters of Conditional Agreement (e.g. I agree to pay if you show me the evidence)

2) The bank refused to show me the evidence I asked them.

3) I sent them a letter of Data Access Request letter (plus £10 cheque and proof of identity) and now waiting for their reply

This is the brief background of the story:

Lenders + Freeholder vs Leaseholder

- In 2013 HSBC have been approached**by the freeholder informing them of a 2012 LVTribunal determination to pay for service charges arrears (which we still dispute) amounting to almost £12,000.

- The Tribunal determined we had to pay for £12k plus some of the freeholder legal costs. To that bill the freeholder added a bill of almost £100.000 to cover his costs awarded against the leaseholders increasing our service charge bill to almost 20k per flat.

- We presented two appeals in 2012 (to the LVT and to the Upper Tribunal) both rejected with great surprise given the evidence available. I must add that there is no county court injunction to back up the tribunal determination and I have never received a section 146 Notice from the freeholder.

- I contested the services charges bill explaining to the lenders all the reasons why we dispute the service charge bill and I informed the lenders that they were refused the authorisation to pay the freeholder's bill explaining also stating that the case is still in dispute as a judicial review case was going to be filed (it is filed now).

- In March 2013, surprisingly for us, the lenders decided to pay anyway adding the sum to my mortgage with interests**to protect 'its security' as they claimed that they were presented with a section 146 Notice by the freeholder.

- In the last four months I asked the lenders to provide the lawful evidence authorising them to pay on my behalf and against my will. So far, no replies from them after nearly 4 months and 7 letters. I also added that I would sue the bank if they pay the sum.*

- A week ago' a sent a letter with a formal notice of Data Access Request letter (plus £10 cheque and proof of identity) asking the bank to provide every document including my name and surname in relation with the mortgage account and with the unlawful payment they added to my mortgage

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:

How is it possible that HSBC took the responsibility to pay on my behalf without a successful County Court Injunction determination and without me receiving a section 146 Notice by the freeholder?

I am aware that if the alleged breach relates to arrears, you cannot serve a valid section 146 notice where the amount of service charges, administration charges or ground rent owed (or a combination of all of these) total less than £350, or have been outstanding for less than three years.* In actual fact not only the £12k bill issued in summer 2012 is not more than 3 years old but also the legal costs (7k) were added by the freeholder only in late in 2012.

Given the FSO bad reputation for handling cases against consumers I decided that it is better to start legal proceedings against the lenders because I do not believe that they could act in a such way without having and providing us with the lawful evidence necessary?

Thanks in advance for any opinion if you have any, in the meantime I will keep you informed as soon as the bank will reply to my Data Access Request letter.

tired Gullyver

• 3 weeks later...

Right, well they have 40 calendar days to comply with your request. Did you send it by a tracked method.. recorded or special delivery ? If so, then you need to check the Royal Mail Website to make sure it has been signed for.

I will send out an S.O.S for you to those who have some experience in these service charges.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Gullyver

To get better advice on your issue could you possibly give a link to the LVT Decision as it will give a better understanding of issues.

Are there any clauses in the Mortgage documents about the freeholder?

Are there any clauses in the Title Deeds for the Property to do with the freeholder?

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

-QUOTE-.....Are there any clauses in the mortgage documents about the freeholder?

Are there any clauses in the Title Deeds for the Property to do with the freeholder? -QUOTE-

Dear friend, I went through the documents and I cant see any particular clause about the freeholder.

In brief my conveyance solicitor confirmed in 2013 that response to my conveyance survey in 2005 was mentioning that 'no major works' were planned at the property so I was told that there was nothing outstanding to pay for repairs.

As soon as I moved in 2005 I was left under a defective roof with heavy leaks for almost 6 years.

However, I have recently found evidence that the freeholder demanded a large sum 5 years before my conveyance in 2000 to repair the roof and the building but he never carried out those repairs until 2010. Hence fraudulent misrepresentation in 2005.

After that he kept the property in a total disrepair for almost 6 years and in 2012 then asked almost £20,000.00 (to each flat) for repairs in 2012.

In 2013 the bank received a forfeiture notice 146 by the freeholder (I did not receive this notice) and force me to pay under duress by adding the sum to my mortgage.

In addition my flat's lease has a missing page (confirmed also by the Land Registry few days ago'). So how was it possible for the bank to grant a mortgage in 2005 without a complete lease? and why my conveyance solicitor did not report this to me before my purchase?

Who do I need to take to court: the bank, the freeholder or my conveyance solicitor?

Please help as I am now in arrears with my mortgage repayments.

Any advise or opinion is appreciated

Disheartened:-( Gullyver

Edited by Gullyver

Have you seen copies of the invoices for the roof repairs and the freeholders legal costs?

How many flats are in the block?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Have you seen copies of the invoices for the roof repairs and the freeholders legal costs?

How many flats are in the block?

Dear Caro, there are 8 flats in the block.

The bills were sent with letters rather than invoices. There is no wet signature and no personal names, just the name of the company of solicitors used (and owned) by the freeholder.

I contested the bill and refused to pay as the £20,000.00 was the result of a scandalous LVT's determination plus £96,000.00 legal fees added by the freeholder for a 1 day hearing just to get a scandalous decision against the victims of 15 years of disrepair.

There are clear indications that the joint expert appointed by the LVT and by the RICS was either bribed and/or pressurised by the legal firm of the freeholder. For example, in 2009 he wrote a 1st structural report stating clearly all the damages caused by the prolonged negligence of the freeholder and stating that in his view the roof was old and in those conditions for at least 10-20 years.

But in 2012 the joint expert then made a gigantic U-turn providing a second report (given only 2 days before the hearing and out of any deadline fixed by the tribunal so we had no time to make cross-analysis) stating that the leaseholders were liable to pay 95% of the total repair bill without any explanation and without reporting all the other expert opinions and reports available in complete breach of Part 35 - Witnesses and Assessors Rules. Any tribunal and court I went after was pointed out all these crucial details.

Both Upper Tribunal and High Court of Justice were given ample evidence of the several frauds of which 8 families are victims but closed their eyes.

In February 2013 - The defrauder (freeholder) sent a 146 Notice (forfeiture) to the mortgage lenders who ended up paying. I never received such notice. So suddenly my mortgage repayments went up and I am unable (and unwilling) to pay the increase. Hence I am now 5 months in arrears.

Edited by Gullyver

You say that you have "Judicial Review" proceedings against the freeholder. Judicial Review cases can generally only be filed against public authorities. What kind of government entity is the freeholder in this case, and what stage is the litigation at?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Dear friend,

JR has been rejected, and yes, you are correct the claim was against the tribunal which rejected previous appeal.

I am left with loads of unpaid damages and the hefty bill to repair the building after over 10 years of disrepair,

The summary of the story is in this post above.

Really disheartened and disappointed

I believe that as a leaseholder you could ask to see a breakdown of how the invoices were calculated. It seems its the legal costs that are an issue. You could phone the SRA for advice as to whether you can challenge the costs.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Without knowing the details of your case or what it is about, it sounds like you appealed it to the Upper Tribunal and then to the High Court but your appeal was rejected both times. With this in mind it will now be very difficult if not impossible to challenge the determination made by the LVT. The LVT is a statutory tribunal which issues legally binding decisions and does not need a county court injunction to back it up. I would think HSBC are entitled to pay the freeholder where there is a legally binding judgment and where there is a risk that your lease would be forefeit if the money is not paid.

The costs sound rather excessive - do I understand correctly you are looking at more than 90k for a one day hearing relating to a 20k claim? What were you actually ordered to pay, who ordered it and were the costs ever assessed?

Without knowing the details of your case or what it is about, it sounds like you appealed it to the Upper Tribunal and then to the High Court but your appeal was rejected both times. With this in mind it will now be very difficult if not impossible to challenge the determination made by the LVT. The LVT is a statutory tribunal which issues legally binding decisions and does not need a county court injunction to back it up. I would think HSBC are entitled to pay the freeholder where there is a legally binding judgment and where there is a risk that your lease would be forefeit if the money is not paid.

The costs sound rather excessive - do I understand correctly you are looking at more than 90k for a one day hearing relating to a 20k claim? What were you actually ordered to pay, who ordered it and were the costs ever assessed?

You are correct dear friend,

the cost were not assessed and what's the point to come back for the legal expenses against the same tribunal (LVT) who awarded the cost against the victims and refused to reconsider the case by rejecting the appeal?

the repair bill (outrageously) reversed over the victims of the disrepair was roughly £85,000.00 but then as if the injustice was not enough, the LVT added the freeholder legal expenses to pay as well simply because we wrote 'too many times' after we were left with a defective building in disrepair for over ten years......so the legal fees bill for the LVT's claimed by the freeholder's legal firm added £96,000.00 bill and each leaseholder was charged almost £20,000.00.

Not only the person who kept in disrepair the building for more than 10 years was not punished for that

but he even managed to make profit for his own legal firm by puttingn his pocket almost £150,000.00.

Where is justice in this?

Dear friend,

In relation to the above, when someone receives a forfeiture notice (also known as 146 notice) should him be given the opportunity of a remedy to either pay or contest the alleged charges?

Please note that:

A) I have never received any forfeiture notice and this was sent directly to my mortgage lenders who paid against my authorization.

Question: Shouldn't I receive the 146 notice as it will affect me, why the notice was sent to the bank? Also, a 146 notice must be a VALID notice which mean it must be served correctly. As far as I know the arrears must be older than 3 years to serve such notice. Has anyone any information about this point?

B) the case of disrepair and unfair service charges about the property was already debated and dealt with successfully in the LVT 3 times and also in the High Court of Justice and in the County Court. In each case the the freeholder was found liable for a prolonged disrepair. I reported those cases to the court but they were ignored. So how is it possible that someone who has been found guilty for disrepair which lasted for over 10 years is then entitled to ask money for repairs from the victims who endured the consequences of six years of leaks, damp and loads of unpaid damages? in 2011 even the building insurance refused to pay as according to them the property was left in disrepair and so it was wear and tear excuse for them to not pay our damages.

C) Yes you are correct, in October 2012 I received the service charges bill by the freeholder to which he added our share of a £96,000.00 for legal expenses (the LVT ordered us to pay 50% of his legal fees) and so our bill rocketed up to almost £20,000.00. In October 2012 I received no invoices, no wet signatures, no names on the letter just the name of the freeholder legal firm on the letter requesting the sum.

Hi Gullyver,

I understand this must have been incredibly frustrating. I am very reluctant to comment and start giving clear advice on a complicated issue like this as I do not know the full details and have not seen the documents.

My understanding is that the LVT/County Court/High Court have already set the charges. If so I assume there is now an LVT decision setting out the charges each leaseholder must pay. It will be very difficult to challenge this amount now because the litigation has already concluded and you have already had your appeal.

I am not an expert in landlord/tenant matters so welcome comments from anyone more knowledgeable. Section 146 itself only talks of a "reasonable time" for remedying breach of the lease. I do not think you right to say that the arrears must be older than 3 years old. A s146 notice should be served on you, but a copy would normally go to the bank, as the bank is protected by entry of a restriction on the register for your property.

I am not sure what has happened with legal fees. I am a little surprised that the LVT ordered anything as my understanding was that it does not have the power to award legal costs (see http://www.tanfieldchambers.co.uk/Asp/uploadedFiles/File/Recovery%20of%20costs%20in%20service%20charge%20disputes%20in%20the%20LVT.pdf). If you mean legal costs were recovered through the LVT adjudicating on a contractual provision as part of the service charge, which the LVT does have authority to adjudicate on, then you would need to check whether that 96k is indeed 50% of the landlord's costs. If that is the case, then the landlord is 96k out of pocket so has not escaped unpunished.

My personal view is that you need to think "long-term" here. Remember that the service charge has been adjudicated by the LVT. You would therefore have no grounds to resist a properly served s146 notice. If the bank didn't pay, the landlord would be entitled to forfeit the lease and have you evicted from the property. I assume this is not the result you are looking for. I do not doubt that the bank was legally entitled to the pay the service charge under your loan agreement in light of the risk of forfeiture of the lease and in light of the fact that the service charge had been adjudicated by the LVT. It may be best to direct your energies towards this 96k charge rather than towards the bank.

Thank you dear friend,

However the LVT determination is based on a complete disregard of the evidence presented and on the expert opinion 100% biased on one side. Where there is an alleged tort, there is an alleged liability and where there is liability there should be a remedy. I was denied the remedy and a 146 Notice must be valid. The notice served to the lender is undated, unsigned and it was never served to me. it was a (big) mistake of the lenders who took the responsibility to pay without consent and without investigating the matter (plus the incomplete lease and misrepresentation of the property to the conveyance solicitor)