Local council Tax Reduction Scheme

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if any of you can help me, I have substantial council tax arrears, they were incurred when I had periods of unemployment. I now have a permanent contract albeit part time and low income.

I applied for council tax reduction and have had an email saying that I don't qualify, does nyone know how to appeal, its all very new.

I have one dependent child and a son who is an apprentice, it clearly says on the local authority website that apprentices qualify for council tax reduction of 25%.

Is there a template and does anyone know how to apply for a discretionary payment? as I am now expected to pay the full amount I have no hope of catching up on this years payments, let alone pay the regular monthly payments.

Are there any template letters? I would appreciate any advice, I have had bailiffs at the door due to the arrears, they have been placed on hold for the moment.

I applied for council tax reduction and have had an email saying that I don't qualify, does nyone know how to appeal, its all very new.

You have to appeal to the council in the first instance , following that any appeal has to be to the valuation tribunal. The valuation tribunal can only determine if the council has applied their own scheme correctly, it cannot rule on the criteria set for the scheme.

Is there a template and does anyone know how to apply for a discretionary payment?

Each council has their own forms and way of applying.