Glasgow Bus Lane Fine - Sheriff Officer Visit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently sheriff officers turned up at my door and issued a CHARGE FOR PAYMENT for £165.

It says nothing on the document about what its for so i was a bit worried, but it says glasgow city council against me, so i thought it was maybe a parking fine or something.

I phoned up the sheriff officers office, told them i knew nothing about this and asked whats its for, she said it was for a bus lane fine . I told her i had no previous correspondence from glasgow city council, so she gave me their number and told me i had to take the matter up with them.

Whats the best thing i can do, is there any way to appeal this. It seems a bit extreme to be issued with a charge for £165 for something i know nothing about. I know i could go to a lawyer but in turn that would probably cost me a lot more.

Any advice guys.

Have you spoken to the council yet? What did they say? Have they written to you? Did the correspondence go to the correct address? If so, do you know of any reason why you didn't get it?

Im off tomorrow morning so ill give them a call. I will need to see what they say about this. After reading a lot about these fines, it seems people are fighting a losing battle with these (beeeeeeeeeeeep) . My 'story' will just fall on deaf ears. I was hoping to have some back up as in how to handle it.

If this is for a parking fine, the council can enforce payment without going to court, the charge certificate is equivalent to sheriff court extract decree (court order).

The council can then use sheriff officers to serve a charge for payment giving the debtor 14 days to pay the debt.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

THIS IS INFURIATING

i called them today and i have been told they sent 2 letters out blah blah. I told them i did not receive any letters and i have a bill here for £166 that im expected to pay. I was told there is nothing anyone can do at this stage so im basically stuffed.

I asked the girl if its a case of having to pay the £166 charge or go to a lawyer. She has said yes.

I cant believe im being put through this. I have to either pay this stupid amount of money or go and see a lawyer which will cost me an even more stupid amount of money.

Is there anywhere i can go for help on this that wont charge me. Like is there any point going to the citizens advice bureau.

These people obviously have no proof that i have received any letters yet are quite happy to bully me into paying something like this.

If i dont pay this £165 they can arrest my wages etc

If i dont pay this £165 they can arrest my wages etc

Hi,

Yes ' if ' they have your work details ect they can arrest your wages, you can apply for a Time to Pay Order...................

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?185249-Have-you-received-a-charge-for-payment-arrestment-summary-warrant

How you never received their letters is anybody's guess.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

Yes ' if ' they have your work details ect they can arrest your wages, you can apply for a Time to Pay Order...................

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?185249-Have-you-received-a-charge-for-payment-arrestment-summary-warrant

How you never received their letters is anybody's guess.

Many thanks for that link.

They dont have my work details, but im sure just like the other bullies like the csa they can easily find out who pays your wages and your tax credits and take what they want from that. If i dont pay this ill get more charges on top.

I called the sheriff officers today, tried to offer just paying the £90 fine part and argued how unfair it was. They dont care and dont listen and its not set up to cater for any mistakes that may have been made. Their line is that no mail was returned to them so they have to 'assume' that the letters from GCC were delivered.

So im being bullied all the way into paying this absurd amount for something i knew nothing about till a few days ago. If i dont pay, ill just get hit with more charges and have to pay it in the end as these useless b######s are not interested,they have it set up in a way they will get you eventually and you will just have to pay more. This should be illegal.

These people deserve their offices to be blown up but im not that kind of person:-):-):-) (joke)

Edit - this has taught me a lesson, add legal protection to your home insurance. Then next time i dont have to worry about the cost if i want to fight back against these bullies.

Edited by robtherevelator

i called them today and i have been told they sent 2 letters out blah blah.

This is very important. Blah Blah won't do, we need to know the details.

Did they send "letters" or official documents? Which documents and when? And were they addressed to your correct name and address? And did they have any returned to them undelivered?

If they sent them to the wrong address, for example, you have a route of escape. We need to know.

This is very important. Blah Blah won't do, we need to know the details.

Did they send "letters" or official documents? Which documents and when? And were they addressed to your correct name and address? And did they have any returned to them undelivered?

If they sent them to the wrong address, for example, you have a route of escape. We need to know.

they sent letters, GCC said they have an arrangement with the royal mail that any undelivered mail gets returned to them, so they just assume that as no mail was returned to them then i must have received them. SO they have no proof, i have no proof i did not receive them, they dont care. The sheriff officers had my address right.

They are sating they sent out 2 letters, i assume which was the original fine and then a higher fine for not paying.

I have had mail gone missing in the past, not a lot but a few low value items off ebay have disappeared in the past. They are using an unreliable postal service with no proof i get these letters delivered. I also told them this. They are not interested. Basically there is no way back when it gets to this stage.

I can't help you without some concrete facts. If they just sent letters, they haven't followed procedure. But I think they will have sent official documents, which are a different ball game.

If you can find out what documents they sent, the dates and confirmation of whether they were addressed fully, properly to you at the correct place - then that will help determine where you stand with this.

The issue is what they sent, when and where - unfortunately, it's not important to the process whether you received them, provided that is, the address they were using was correct.

If it helps you can check with Royal Mail to verify if your address - specifically the postcode - is linked to more than one property. Sometimes the postcode is used by the council to obtain the address and there may be (for example ) apartments 1-3 in the same house, or an annex .

The final address can also be adapted by other organisations that have the right to amend the postcode boundaries, for example the home office, when updating their database for TV licences. You won't know it of course until you check.

You need to make a Formal Complaint to the Chief Executives Office of Glasgow City Council explaining the circumstances fully that you have reciveved no documentation form GCC.

You require copies of all documentation, dates sent by GCC and how GCC confirm Proof of Delivery.

I would advise not to speak to them on the telephone unless you have the facility to record calls as they can deny anything stated in a phone call.

If you sent anything by email always ensure you have it marked to give you a 'read reciept'

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It's pointless jumping through hoops, speaking to the post office or making complaints. At this stage it's fact-finding which is needed. As I said in post 11 - find out (telephone is fine) exactly what they sent, and what the exact address was. THEN you can consider further options, depending what they say.

I can't help you without some concrete facts. If they just sent letters, they haven't followed procedure. But I think they will have sent official documents, which are a different ball game.

If you can find out what documents they sent, the dates and confirmation of whether they were addressed fully, properly to you at the correct place - then that will help determine where you stand with this.

The issue is what they sent, when and where - unfortunately, it's not important to the process whether you received them, provided that is, the address they were using was correct.

I would assumed they have sent official documents, i just called them letters and they did too. They have my correct address. They are saying they sent these letters to me and as they were not returned then i must have received them.

If it helps you can check with Royal Mail to verify if your address - specifically the postcode - is linked to more than one property. Sometimes the postcode is used by the council to obtain the address and there may be (for example ) apartments 1-3 in the same house, or an annex .

The final address can also be adapted by other organisations that have the right to amend the postcode boundaries, for example the home office, when updating their database for TV licences. You won't know it of course until you check.

Im in a semi detached house and my postcode covers many houses on this street. Just the number thats sets them apart.

You need to make a Formal Complaint to the Chief Executives Office of Glasgow City Council explaining the circumstances fully that you have reciveved no documentation form GCC.

You require copies of all documentation, dates sent by GCC and how GCC confirm Proof of Delivery.

I would advise not to speak to them on the telephone unless you have the facility to record calls as they can deny anything stated in a phone call.

If you sent anything by email always ensure you have it marked to give you a 'read reciept'

Ok many thanks for the info, my problem is very soon they are going to arrest my wages, or benefits, so they will take their money and at the same time add more fees to to it. This is unstoppable no matter what i do. Its like this is going to happen anyway and im left fighting a losing battle afterwards, still lost the money, still wont get it back unless i get a lawyer it seems. ALso i have major anger problems and this will just cause me so much stress, its not worth £166. Some things dont bother me but this is one of those things that will eat away at me.

so its pay the £166 and then fight it, probably wasting my time

or

let them take it from my wages Plus even more fees, then fight it, probably wasting my time.

i know i sound negative but you just need to read some of the people who have had no luck fighting these fines ie the women who had to move into a bus lane to let a fire engine past and they never budged on that one. They have a zero tolerance policy.

Have you asked for copy of the CCTV footage of you being in the bus lane or are you not disputing that fact. If you believe that the fine is an error then chase that up sharply otherwise you are just running up steeper and steeper bills.

ie the women who had to move into a bus lane to let a fire engine past and they never budged on that one. They have a zero tolerance policy.

I would have thought gender based discrimination might have already been in the history books, I'll have a check though.

Have you asked for copy of the CCTV footage of you being in the bus lane or are you not disputing that fact. If you believe that the fine is an error then chase that up sharply otherwise you are just running up steeper and steeper bills.

I have not asked, im more concerned with stopping this from happening and them taking my money. Then see what it is that im meant to have done and what evidence they have.

I would have thought gender based discrimination might have already been in the history books, I'll have a check though.

Are you on drugs?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have just paid £166 to these cowboys today. I too never received any letters from them. I only paid because the sheriff officers bill was going to go up another £70 next week. I am however not going to let this rest. I now plan to take Glasgow city council to the small claims court to recover my money and expenses for all the phones calls I have made. This is only going to cost me £16.00. They are going to have to prove proof of service. As they don't send out their letters by registered post, I cannot see any way their case will stand up in court. There argument that they have an agreement with Royal Mail to return all undelivered letters is a joke. They are convinced that Royal Mail correctly deliver every letter that is posted.I am looking forward to taking them on

Thank you for the update

Please remember it still does not stop you making a formal complaint to the Chief Executives even though you have paid this and asking what I mentioned in post #13.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi, I have just paid £166 to these cowboys today. I too never received any letters from them. I only paid because the sheriff officers bill was going to go up another £70 next week. I am however not going to let this rest. I now plan to take Glasgow city council to the small claims court to recover my money and expenses for all the phones calls I have made. This is only going to cost me £16.00. They are going to have to prove proof of service. As they don't send out their letters by registered post, I cannot see any way their case will stand up in court. There argument that they have an agreement with Royal Mail to return all undelivered letters is a joke. They are convinced that Royal Mail correctly deliver every letter that is posted.I am looking forward to taking them on

There is no obligation to "prove proof of service". You are entitled to be sent (that's sent, not receive) a stantard sequence of notices prior to enforcement. If you did not get them you can contest the charge, but it sounds like you paid instead of contesting.

There is no obligation to "prove proof of service". You are entitled to be sent (that's sent, not receive) a stantard sequence of notices prior to enforcement. If you did not get them you can contest the charge, but it sounds like you paid instead of contesting.

I had no option but to pay otherwise the sheriff officers bill was going to go up and up. If you are caught with a speed camera the police have to send you notification by recorded delivery post. I don't see the difference here