When to apply/register for JSA?

MisterT1968
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

How are you? I hope you are fine :)

Recently my employer is reducing the workforce and offered the affected employees a voluntary redundancy via expression of wish. I am one of the affected people and will receive under the voluntary a payment in lieu of notice. As far as I understand this has an effect as if I would work the time for which this payment is made. Is this correct?

My next question is then: When should I apply/register for the JSA, in my last 3 working days or 3 days before the time, for which the payment in lieu of notice is, runs out?

PS: I am convinced, that I will get a new job within this timeframe anyway, but I would like to know this just in case ;)

Best regards

Someone may correct me, but I think the rule about pay in lieu of notice changed a few years ago, and it's now counted as capital, not income. So you can apply for JSA to start the day after your last day at work.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes as Antone said, PILON is counted as income.

You can make your claim for JSA from the first day you are unemployed

Flumps, can you clarify whether it's income or capital? I thought the latter, but as you know, I'm not much of an expert on JSA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your replies. Additional questions: Are there any limits, when I would get anything and does it make sence to apply, when my package exceeds these limits?

Best regards

If you qualify for contribution based JSA© your PILON lump sum will be ignored. You will likely qualify if you have worked for the whole of tax years 2010/11 and 2011/12.

If you don't qualify, you can ask to be considered for JSA(IB), the means tested form of the benefit. Your lump sum would be considered, as would other household income including that of a partner, if applicable. The way capital is considered works like this:

• if the total amount of your capital is £16,000 or over, you are not entitled to payment of JSA(IB), but you may sign on if you wish in order to receive NI credits towards your State Pension
  • if the total is less than £6000 it is ignored
  • for amounts of £6000.00 - £15,999.99 a "tariff income" of £1 per £250 (or part thereof) in capital of £6000 or more is assumed. This is deducted weekly from your payment.

Thx Antone. So basically it is worth also to register for just a few weeks, even if there is already a new job in the pipeline, that starts a month after me leaving my current position.

Yes, if you want to. You'd have to sign on at your local Jobcentre a couple of times but for a short claim of say, a month or so, they shouldn't give you too much hassle. You would, of course, be expected to demonstrate that you are looking for work to fill the gap between the end of your old job and the start of the new one.