Stranded with children by Arriva Trains

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well with respect to the original poster I'd personally have been inclined to wait those two hours to see what happened rather than decide on taking a taxi home and believing the company would foot the bill, there are many instances where they do however somehow I doubt this might be one of them. How much was the taxi bill out of curiosity?

I'm personally none too sure using children as potential leverage to solve a problem is the best answer to things. Always wise to check on something you might be carrying be it large or weighty before travelling 'just in case'. Whilst one conductor on a train might feel it okay another, probably more experienced decided not to 'vary' the strict rules?

M

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

1.) What size is your board and did it fit neatly and safely in the cycle area without any risk of obstruction?

2.) Was it clear to the person you purchased your ticket from that you had the board with you?

Well with respect to the original poster I'd personally have been inclined to wait those two hours to see what happened rather than decide on taking a taxi home and believing the company would foot the bill, there are many instances where they do however somehow I doubt this might be one of them. How much was the taxi bill out of curiosity?

I'm personally none too sure using children as potential leverage to solve a problem is the best answer to things. Always wise to check on something you might be carrying be it large or weighty before travelling 'just in case'. Whilst one conductor on a train might feel it okay another, probably more experienced decided not to 'vary' the strict rules?

M

Argh, why can't people read the original post?

At 10am this morning I checked with the conductor on the platform that we could buy the tickets on the train, he directed me to where I could place my surfboard and bought a day-return ticket to Borth to catch some waves. En route, he explained that we would need to change carriage in Machynlleth where the train divides and to carry my board along the platform. At no point did he mention that there might be any restrictions on surfboards and as this was the first time I'd taken it on a train and had previously seen others with boards on trains I had no reason to think there might be a problem.

Edited by IainHL
A little bit of extra spacing

I have now received an apology from Arriva Trains Wales for the 'poor customer service' I received.

Both conductors will apparently be receiving further training- the first on the apparent rules that surfboards are never allowed (in which case Arriva Trains Wales should state that unequivocally in their guidance notes rather than the existing ambiguity) and the second conductor (who was positively unpleasant and I doubt this is the first such complaint) on customer service and use of discretion or of a modicum of empathy or understanding.

My train fare, £69 taxi fare and mobile phone costs in calling Arriva and taxi are to be reimbursed. Arriva Trains Wales accepted that the telephone advice I received to wait another two hours and take my chances again was unhelpful. I will accept this reimbursement subject to it being in cash rather than vouchers.

And yes, as for taking surfboards or other large items on trains, I accept that I have a degree of responsibility but isn't it time that the trains set aside a bit more space to encourage more cyclists (only 2 allowed per train generally) and even surfers to use the trains rather than clog up our roads. The space required would be far less than the old guard vans and they'd probably fill more seats more regularly as well. But that's a debate for another forum and no doubt there are financial reasons both ways.

Thanks again for supportive comments.

Well done - and well done to Arriva who seem to be taking a very modern and customer-facing view.

Well done. I'm delighted you followed through with this. Getting your money back and helping make sure that awful experience does not happen to anyone else is a great result.

I'm a bit surprised what they are saying about surfboards. There is no basis for that in the National Rule of Carriage ... but its now a moot point.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Congratulations on going through with this and a big middle finger for those who insisted you had done wrong and rules are rules.

Despite ATW confirming they do not accept surfboards?

Got his money back, sure, but ATW have seemingly confirmed the conductor on the return leg was correct in his actions in asking him to leave the train, which most people on here said was wrong.

ATW appear to concede that the first conductor and the telephone rep were incorrect, however.

Page 29 NRCoC.

That said, surely any surfboard would always exceed the maximum dimensions of 30x70x90cm?

Despite ATW confirming they do not accept surfboards?

Got his money back, sure, but ATW have seemingly confirmed the conductor on the return leg was correct in his actions in asking him to leave the train, which most people on here said was wrong.

ATW appear to concede that the first conductor and the telephone rep were incorrect, however.

Page 29 NRCoC.

That said, surely any surfboard would always exceed the maximum dimensions of 30x70x90cm?

Even if the second conductor is correct, and assuming the surfboard exceeded those dimensions (I'm not sure this is right - plenty of surf/boogie boards are below that size), that would not excuse the train company from liability, because the Op would have a claim for misrepresentation due to what she was told at the start of the journey. People are entitled to rely on what they are told at the time they buy their ticket.

Edited by steampowered

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS