• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

dispute about extension of my boundary fence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Really need some advice about a letter i have received from local council regarding the recent extension of my boundary fence.

The problem has stemmed from me having a nosey neighbour who has issues with everything and everyone, so much so that i stopped talking to him a few years ago. He built his shed on a platform which enabled him to stand in the doorway of it and look directly into our house. He has used the chance to do this constantly. I have had no privacy and had become increasely distressed by this.

He makes unlimited pointless trips to the shed whenever i am outside to watch whatever i am doing. I then had to take on my daughters dog as she moved into a flat and couldn't take him, i already had 2 dogs of my own. It has take a while for the new dog to settle, made worse by my neighbours constant messing in his shed for no reason. I then decided to put a little extension in height of fence just at the height of where his door is visible into my garden.

He came out on the night and i heard his wife ask what he thought to which e replied he had no problem.

Today i have received a letter saying the fence is now 2.3 metres and needs to come down to 2 metres. I have emailed them back with my concerns over his shed, also he has a tree against my fence that is at least another foot above my new higher fence.

Do i have valid claim against his shed height and privacy as it is on a platform? I said in email i have no problem with lowering fence but have issues with the shed.

Hope i have put this in the right place

Thanks in advance :)

plant a few fast growing conifers ( leylandii ) to act as hedge, keep trimmed as they will get out of hand or erect your own shed to shield his?

Apply for planning permission to erect a higher fence.

I've just bought a new shed but its on the other side of the garden. I've emailed council and am hoping they listen to my side. I'm not lowering fence for my neighbour to be able to spy on me again :(

I suppose what i really want to know is what the council will say. Have i got an argument with the shed on a platform? Does anyone know or have an experience of such things?

Hello there.

How high would you say the platform with the shed on it is please? And which part of your house and garden can he see? I don't know if that's all relevant, but it will help us get an idea of the problem.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Coucil can lower the fence and then charge you, lower it and plant conifers as suggested it is not worth the argument. also visability of your garden is one thing and not taken too seriously but looking into a house is

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Planning law is 2m fence does not require planning, anything higher does.

You should get it if no other factors involved. However somebody has objected otherwise they would not have contacted you.

Apply for retrospective planning permission and invite council to send someone round as you were basing the height of the existing fence on the base of your neighbours shed being the ground level! You can also add trellis to your 2m fence and grow something like russian vine up it. that will do the job in no time. Also, if the slats on the trellis are carefuly designed, your neighbour will not be able to look through them at an angle so limit his view.

You could also take up air rifle target practice in your garden and place the pellet catcher on a post at a suitable height so the constant clanging of the pellets splatting on the trap annoys him enough to scurry off

Thanks for your replies. The platform is probably 1 1/2 feet high at least. He can see into my hallway when i open my back door. Also before i heightened the fence i couldn't shower with the window open as he could see me. At the height it is now i can open the window a little.

I had an email off the council saying they would pass my concerns to the officer and he would get back to me with options. That was two days ago and i've heard nothing. Seems a bit funny now that the fence is higher he doesn't need to make so many trips to his shed :(

Thanks Ericsbrother, i am really hoping that he has to lower his shed, then i will lower mine.

If the shed is within two metres of a boundary then the maximum height cannot exceed 2.5 metres. No raised platforms over 300mm. A raised platform is defined as anything more than 300mm above ground level- measured at the highest point and includes decking. I personally would raise your own complaint in writing directly with the councils planning department. They should come out and look at the shed, taking measurements. It maybe your neighbour is breaching planning laws.

This is incorrect. The maximum height of 2.5 metres relates to buildings i.e. sheds, within 2 metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the house. Under common law a curtilage is defind as the enclosed space and ground delinated by the boundary fence. However, this is quite a complicated area and in my experience open to numerous interpretations. Pinkrat needs to raise the issue with the planning office and/or a good property law solicitor.

Council have been in touch and are very sympathetic to my concerns. They have no interest in enforcing me to do anything but will have to look at it again if my neighbour persists. Safe for now :) Am going to be planting a few conifers though aswell. Thanks for your replies :)

If your neighbour gets pushy the council will be obliged to do something about your fence. Perhaps a quite word with him pointing out that if he pursues this you will have no option to talk to the planning department about the raised shed and its proximity to your boundary

I don't speak to my neighbour at all and also the council said i can not do anything about his shed. If her does pester the council i will have to report him to someone for watching everything i do.

Which council department did you talk to? It may be someone who has no legal knowledge and cant be bothered to check with someone who does. Has the planning department been out and measured the shed. Has the planning depatment actually written to you clearly outlining why its not in breach of relevant planning law? Dont take their word for it over the phone. Iv rung my council on another matter and was told nonesense. It was only when I wrote to the correct department and received a letter from someone with the correct qualifications and experience they admitted their previous advice was incorrect.

The man i spoke to was the one who sent me the letter. It says he is an enforcement officer for planning services. He said something like the shed could of measured up to 4 metres as the garden sloped and they had to measure from the base of the platform. The garden is exactly the same as mine and we didn't need to put our shed on a platform. Its just on a concrete patio base. I didn't really take it in as he said owing to my problems and the reason i put up the fence he would not enforce it. He said that if it went pear shaped, he would have to look at things again but for now get on with your life sort of thing.

The height of the shed should be measured from the highest ground level adjacent to it. It can be 4 metres in height but not if its within 2 metres of a boundary when the maximum height is 205 metres. However if the planning department is doing nothing about your fence id leave it. If he does complain we can look at it again.

• 2 weeks later...