Car accident/ Quote higher over the insurance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Guys,

Yesterday I caused a car accident in most stupid way.

It was raining, I was in rush to get to work on time and did not estimate correctly distance in between me and car parked behind me.

I have stopped and within minute the owner of the car was there. Not a problem, I have given her my details, insurance policy number etc. She said she will get quotation so I can decide if I want to pay for repair in private or if I want to go through insurance. Sounds cool so far.

Today at morning she did call me saying that the quote for repair is £260. That is not a high amount but anyway I decided to go through insurances. Called my insurance company, reported accident was done in few minutes and send her text with reference number. So far so good.

Few minutes ago I received call from her husband saying “Hey, my wife just told me you want your insurance to pay for the repair. I did call the garage and have been told that if it will go through insurances the price will not be £260 but few ground. Are you sure you don’t want to pay in cash?”

Yeah, I am definitely sure I want to go through the insurances. Not a question from now on. But my concern is – since when is the repair more expensive if paid through insurances? Especially from £260 to few ground? Think there is something fishy about it.

Now my question is, what should I do now? Suppose few thousands will have worst effect on costs of my insurance than few hundred. Should I let my insurance company know that something is not right or just to let them deal with it?

P.s.: It was my first car accident in 10 years I have a driving license. Feel really stupid about it, especially because it was my fault :|

Well, it makes no difference to you what it costs if your Insurance is paying. You`ll just pay your excess and loose your NCB. You`d have been better off paying the £260. Thats cheap for even a minor repair.

Hey Chris,

yeah I know it is cheap. But since my partner is recently without work I kind of care for every pound.

Do not pay any excess as there is no damage to my care and do not care much about NCB. What bothers me most is that it will probs affect my quote more if the costs are higher? Not talking about that it does not seem to be right at all but hey, it is my problem. Should be already used to the fact we do not live in fair world :sad:

The actual cost of the claim won`t affect your next premium, just the fact that you have claimed at all will though. You`ll still have to pay the excess, probably £250, but check. Watch out for a nice big fat price hike of your premium at renewal time. As I said, I`d have paid the £260!

Not to state the obvious but if u had not reported the accident and they found out about it ur insurance would have been void. The insurance company will have their own approved repairers who will quote for the work. I would call them and inform them you suspect insurance fraud. At worst it may cause some difficult questions for the person who is trying to hold you to ransom. I'd be suspicious about the amount of work the other person may be claiming for. Personally I'd hate to think I'd been forced to pay for damage that may have not been caused by me. It's situations like these that contribute to the massive hikes in all our premiums

• Confused 1

Well that is out of question - my excess is £100 and does not apply in this case (checked with my insurance company). Can some one confirm if cost of the claim does/ does not affect my next insurance price? And would you actually inform them about the fact that cost of repair is higher for them?

Leon, thanks a lot. Yeah, I do hate the fact they are trying to get more out of it just because I can not afford to pay in cash - whoever it is if the owner or garage. And yeah I did call the insurance immediately when I got the quotation. Just been stupid to not take pictures of accident and not to call police. Well was my first accident and if (I hope not) will be involved in car accident in future, I will know better. Thanks a lot again! :-D

Hi Meth23,

It may affect your insurance more than you think.

Last year I had two accidents, neither of which were my fault, but until everything was completed and it was agreed that they weren't my fault my new premium shot through the roof and I had to pay the increased premiums until the claims were settled and then I got a rebate.

I'll give you the figures:

My renewal figure would have been less than £500 fully comp etc. Because there was one accident claim pending the new quote was up to £850+, but then I had the second accident just before renewal and it went up again to over £1,100.

Because I had price match guarantee I was able to get another company to give me the same insurance for £550, of course telling them that I had two claims pending, and thankfully my own insurance company matched it. I wanted to stay with them so I could be on their case for the insurance claims.

So if you do go through your insurance this time you'll probably be better off changing insurance companies at renewal time unless they too have a price match guarantee.

I think the value of the claim only comes into it if it is fairly substantial. Something like 10grand I think my insurance company mentioned last time I was moving companies.