Another one got me stumped :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For updates, you would need to run the program and select check for updates.

plus they'll auto update or remind to do so depending on its config, default usually is auto update/remind. no need for a third party prog to do so, just adds to resources.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

plus they'll auto update or remind to do so depending on its config, default usually is auto update/remind. no need for a third party prog to do so, just adds to resources.

That is indeed the case. However the program I listed is not an always running app. You select the programs you want to install or update and it downloads ans uodates them for you. Then you just run the app as and when you feel like it :)

This is how I spend most of my life :ranger:

i see what you mean, instead of doing things manually one by one. i don't know the prog you mention so can't really judge, save to say my previous post stands ie by default they update auto or if not then remind to do so. and if the latter, then is just a matter of a 'yes' click to continue update? and, you say that prog needs manual input anyway?

I am doing all the Windows Updates now. There has only been one failed out of 90 or so up to now, I will deal with that one later. Service Pack one has only just been installed, so I have got a long way to go. Each pc I have got has already had the likes of Adobe Reader, Acrobat etc on them. Even Synaptics Pointing Device installed. It seems that these particular type of programs, and others you would normally see in the start up list on msconfig are missing in this case.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

If you network them and had a pseudo server setup, you could have performed an unattended update. But im guessing that might be a little too advanced :p

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Also, I can't work out how to set updates to install important ones only. I am updating manually at the moment, and am avoiding optional updates.

re #29, if you want to get technical, download sys internals 'autoruns'. that will show whats running on start up etc. and can stop whichever. be careful with it though.

Edited by Ford

Also' date=' I can't work out how to set updates to install important ones only. I am updating manually at the moment, and am avoiding optional updates.[/quote']

It's easier to just tell windows update to notify when updates are ready to download and install.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Also' date=' I can't work out how to set updates to install important ones only. I am updating manually at the moment, and am avoiding optional updates.[/quote']

just go to control panel, win updates, change settings, untick 'give me recommended updates....' ,

re important updates; click dropdown, then choose your option

Edited by Ford

Managed to get Windows updates up to date, but having a problems with the graphics one (Silicon Integrated Systems Corp. - Display - SiS Mirage 3 Graphics). Installing this takes me back to square one, so I have to roll back the driver to boot up normally. Doing this gives limited functionability graphics wise (no screen saver etc). I have been on the Asus website, but can't find an alternative download.

Next thing is, I need to get the Wireless Capabilities (LAN) on the laptop to start automatically. I have looked at the services to try and find it, but I can't. Therefore, I have to start it automatically everytime I reboot.

Laptop model - ASUS X5DC running on Windows 7 Professional OS.

Everything sorted now I think (used Driver Genius Pro). Everything except the mousepad that is. Installed the update packages, but the mousepad still does not work. I guess that was actually broke after all. If there are any suggestions on it, I would be greatful. If not, I would like to thank all you guys again for your continued help and support.

Many Thanks:-)

What a tool I really am!!!!!!angry.gif I found the correct touchpad driver software and installed it. It still wouldn't work, so I brought up the propertis. I have gone and clicked on 'disable when external mouse is plugged in' like the big eejit I am. Now the external mouse won't even work. I give up.

Sorted that out in safe mode. Thank God.

Managed to find the Elan PS/2 Port Smart Pad in the Hidden Devices' in Device Manager. That has an eclamation mark on a yellow triangle on it. Under the properties, I get this message :-

This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all it's drivers installed. (Code 24)

I have Googled this problem to no avail, and have reinstalled Driver Software from numerous sources. I have also noticed that System Restore fails all the time (even though Windows Updayes have completed successfully). And although it let me install Avast Security, It won't let me open the user interface or program. I think there must be registry keys missing. Maybe the version of Windows 7 installed is a replacement of the original one, and not the exact one needed for this particular laptop.

Use a usv mouse. Ps/2 mice are more trouble than they're worth.

The mouse is working fine. It's the touchpad (mousepad) that won't work. The icon in the tools tray is like a screen with a big red X through it. It appears under Hidden Devices in Device Manager, but I am getting error code 24 on it.

SOunds like some previous drivers are still on the system and conflicting with the new ones. Have you tried a full uninstall of the drivers, or even a rollback,

There is no option to rollback, and I have tried uninstalling and re-installing a few times. I have just tried a registry cleaner, but the problem still exists.

What make and model is the mousepad? Ive got an idea

The laptop is an ASUS X5DC running Windows 7 (although I have an idea the OS is not the original one). The mousepad is ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad (that is what it says in Device Manager). The touchpad icon in the tools tray has a red X on it. When I right click on the device in Device Manager, and then go to Properties, I get this message :- This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all it's drivers installed (Code 24). I feel this is an installation issue. Windows updates are fine and create a System Restore, but if you use system restore, it says it has failed. Also, I can't use the interface of the Antivirus, but it is installed.

Hmm. Have you checked for malware? The antivirus issue is concerning, but there are a few things that could lead to it not working right. I'm thinking its just windows and its normal driver conflicts.

I know this is a seperate issue, but when I try and start Avast, I get this message :-

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe

The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxtrace.exe tool for more detail.

I don't know how to do either:|

When I right click on the mousepad icon and click properties, the only properties that come up are for the external mouse? I have checked that the mousepad is enabled in the BIOS.

Install .net framework. Side by side issues are commonly caused by an out of date installation.