Car Insurance Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i had car insurance with Chaucer Direct i believe it was,

paid deposit and paid monthly payments, was honest 100% on quote even though it cost me a lot more.

then Chaucer decide they want more information,

i cant provide, so

THEY cancel the policy charging me a £50 cancellation fee

and now there is £48 outstanding on the account

and it has been passed to a DCA.

Now they cancelled it not me and the arrears they are claiming is because of this £50 fee.

How long was the policy running?

How many payments had you made?

Were these payments on time?

What additional info did they ask for?

Did they not say this info was required at inception of the policy?

How long was the policy running?

How many payments had you made?

Were these payments on time?

What additional info did they ask for?

Did they not say this info was required at inception of the policy?

I was hoping you would not ask as it gets messy, but here we go.

Policy running for just under 3 months

Paid deposit and 1 monthly installment on time

I was honest on policy and said ive held licence for 11 years and have NO NCB and NO driving experience that i can prove, outcome premium is £1000 rather than £400, fine, at least ive been honest.

I did have 2 years NCB from years and years ago which if not used in 2 years you basically loose, and id been driving company vans for years on company insurance so never had the need for own car. Hence no NCB. I said no driving experience i could prove as well i couldnt, some of the companys id worked for had gone bust and some i left on bad terms. So for simplistic sake on insurance form knowing it would cost me more i said NO NCB and NO driving experience that i could prove.

The Chaucer asks for driving experience, i said are you have a laugh, ive already said i havnt got any i can prove hence why i said NONE and NO NCB on the form, they questioned why id passed test 11 years ago and could not prove any driving experience. So thewy decided to cancel policy. My thinking was ok cancel it, i cant owe anything on it. Until this letter comes saying i owe £48.34 with the threat of it going up to £270 with court fees and costs if i dont pay, Now in my mind i dont owe the £48.34 as they cancelled the insurance and charged me £50 cancellation fee, they owe me £1.66

Well to be perfectly honest, if I had held a licence for 11 years I would have told them I have 11 yeears driving experience also. There will be very few drivers who can "prove" their driving in any greater detail than matching it up to their test date!

As they cancelled the contract you are entitled to receive the balance of your premiums less the value of cover already received. As you were paying in instalments then you owe nothing and they dont have any money to refund. The £50 cancellation fee only applies to you cancelling the contract but I know that more than 1 insurer does this as they know that not too many people will bother to argue. Tell them that they should reconsider this attempt to charge an unfair penalty that is not contractual otherwise you will make a complaint to both the Insurance Ombudsman and the Financial Ombudsman (given credit so entitled to do so) That should make them think again.

My daughter works in insurance and says the thinking behind it is that it charges the customer fo basically wasting their time. I can name a broker who even keeps all of the refunded premiums unless you make a serious complaint and has never put the money into a client account which is against regulations.

Well to be perfectly honest, if I had held a licence for 11 years I would have told them I have 11 yeears driving experience also. There will be very few drivers who can "prove" their driving in any greater detail than matching it up to their test date!

So your advice is that i should have lied, and when i would have been un-able to prove driving experience then insurance would have been cancelled anyway.

So your advice is that i should have lied, and when i would have been un-able to prove driving experience then insurance would have been cancelled anyway.

No it's not a lie in that you past your test and drove throughout the following time span in the "normal course of your daily life". i.e. to work; to the shops/school; social trips; holidays etc etc. Can you tell how any normal person would offer any further proof of their driving experience?

Most normal people have NCB or are currently working for someone who can write them a letter confirming there driving on a company vehicle. I decided i could not guarantee obtaining proof therefor paid more for the premium.

I am self employed now, have been for 12 months, some previous employers have gone bust or i left of not so good terms so them writing me a letter of driving experience is not a option.

How can you prove driving experience ? Someone could take out Insurance for a car, but only drive it for a few days per year, because they use public transport all the time. This could be the case for many years.

I think if you have been honest throughout, you should make a complaint in writing to the Insurers explaining everything. Ask why they chose to cancel the policy and charge an admin fee when doing so ?

Wait for a response and ignore the DCA.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My wife hasn't had a car registered in her name or personal insurance policy for about 20 years as we share the car and I organise the insurance on it. How would you expect her to "prove" she has had 30+ years of driving experience?

My wife hasn't had a car registered in her name or personal insurance policy for about 20 years as we share the car and I organise the insurance on it. How would you expect her to "prove" she has had 30+ years of driving experience?

I assume your wife has been a named driver though on the insurance policy has she not

I assume your wife has been a named driver though on the insurance policy has she not

doesn't prove she has any "driving experience" though. For all they would know, she may never have been in the driver's seat throughout the entire 20 years.

doesn't prove she has any "driving experience" though. For all they would know, she may never have been in the driver's seat throughout the entire 20 years.

Does not matter crem, to an insurance company being a named driver is enough

Does not matter crem, to an insurance company being a named driver is enough

Nope not for NCB. Not sure about driving experience though. My wife has been a named driver on my policy however when I bought her a round about, they would not acknowledge NCB etc even though we were insuring the other car with the same company! :x

Nope not for NCB. Not sure about driving experience though. My wife has been a named driver on my policy however when I bought her a round about, they would not acknowledge NCB etc even though we were insuring the other car with the same company! :x

Im not on about NCB, i didnt claim any.Im on about driving experience, Showing proof of being a named driver will suffice

Its because ive held licence for 11 years yet claimed no NCB or no PROOF of driving experience, knowing it would cost me more on the policy. They originally asked on phone and i explained about company cars/vans and companies gone bust or left on bad terms ect..... and i knew it would cost me more which was fine. Then 6 weeks into the policy they cancel it citing no proof of driving experience lol.

When i questioned it over email and phone i was told when i agreed to the T&C's (tick box) then i agreed to send in any information they asked for at any time during the policy, the fact they were asking for something they knew i could not deliver and i never claimed i could is not there problem.

Still in my mind im owed a £1.66 but according to them i have a debt of £48.34 which they want, they cancelled it with a nice £50 cancellation fee, dumb if they think im gonna pay it.