• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Caution from FCC RPI - Baffling...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me...

Yesterday, on my journey to Farringdon, from St Albans City, I was asked to present my ticket to Revenue Protection Inspector.

I presented an unused carnet, and had only just finished writing the date on it in permanent marker. I normally do this before getting on the train, but was running very late.

My wife is about to accept medical retirement, so there's a lot of heavy stuff going on at home, and my brain was a little scrambled!

Unfortunately, the RPI informed me that he would be issuing a £22 penalty that I could pay immediately. I declined this offer,saying that I wanted to appeal the penalty fare instead.

The RPI then asked me for identification, so I provided my driver’s licence. He then proceeded to issue me with a caution, and warned me that anything I said would be used in court.

I'm baffled as I hadn't refused to pay the penalty fare, just that I would have liked to contest it. I thought that RPI's need to explain the appeals process?I understand that not writing the correct date does consitute a breach of carnet use, but I can't understand at what point I went from having a penalty fare to being issued a caution.

I was very subdued and polite throughout the whole encounter, but left not knowing what alleged offence I was being cautioned for, and what would happen next. I was not presented with any actual penalty notice, the RPI retained my ticket, and he asked me to sign a document without reading anything back to me.

Am I now facing a notice of prosecution? What advice would you offer as how to try and resolve this issue, I'm baffled! The last thing my family needs is their Dad banged up for not scribbling a date on his ticket!

Edited by honeybee13
Formatting.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I hope the rail experts will be along later with advice for you. Please bear with us until they're able to get here.

I've put a few paragraphs into your post to make it easier to read so you get the most advice. :)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

By the way, prison is a very unlikely outcome for you, I don't think we've seen that happen to anyone from this forum for fare evasion.

We just need the experts who understand the carnet system to be here to advise you.

HB

I found this on the FCC website about carnet tickets, in case it helps.

Carnet Terms and Conditions

• Tickets are valid for 3 months from the start date on the ticket.
  • Passengers MUST validate the ticket by completing the travel date in permanent ink in the boxes on the top of the ticket in the direction of travel they wish to travel before commencing their journey.
  • Attempted fraudulent use will result in withdrawal of this ticket, payment of full fare for the journey being made and a possible criminal charge.
  • Only completely unused booklets of 5 or 10 Carnet tickets consecutively numbered will be considered for a refund
  • Lost or stolen individual tickets will not be replaced.
  • Peak tickets are valid at any time
  • Off-Peak tickets are valid at weekends and for journeys which arrive in London at or after 10.00 Monday to Friday (Public Holidays excepted). Check with local station for time of the first Off-Peak service to London. Also valid for travel from London after 09.30 Monday to Friday (Public Holidays excepted), but not valid for travel between 16.30 and 19.01 Monday to Friday (Public Holidays excepted) where Evening Peak restrictions apply (see timetable for details).
  • Tickets to/from Cambridge are valid at any time
  • Carnet consists of 5 or 10 single train journeys tickets, which must used in the direction of travel printed on the ticket

*The individual ticket journey price is based the relevant 'Anytime Day Return' or 'Off-Peak Day Return' fare TO London or Cambridge being discounted by 10%.

HB

• Confused 1

It appears that you only started to validate the carnet ticket when you saw the FCC Inspector. The terms of this product specifically state that it must be validated prior to travel commencing.

You therefore did not hold a valid ticket, contrary to Railway Byelaw 18.

A Penalty Fare is for instances where non-intentional fare avoidance is detected and is completely optional for both parties, (i.e. the Inspector/Passenger).

If the Inspector believes that the fare evasion was deliberate or otherwise suspicious, they are perfectly entitled to proceed straight to preparing a statement for prosecution.

You will receive a letter from FCC asking about the circumstances. If you have no previous history of fare problems, they will usually allow you to make a fairly significant payment to avoid being prosecuted.

I'm still at a loss to know why a proposed penalty fare suddenly evolved into a caution...

As Firtsclass has said, the Penalty Fare is completely optional on the RPIs part and you can be reported, even if he believed it was not your intention to avoid payment (although such cases are usually dealt with by way of Penalty Fare, as a deterrent, as that's what they are there for after all!). It does seem that, from what you say here, the RPI wanted the money up-front, and not within 21-days as per the rules. He can't demand payment of the full Penalty amount up-front, but can request the ticket price for a standard rate ticket to the station he stopped you at, or the next station on that line if on a train. If it was merely because you wouldn't pay the full amount, this seems somewhat underhanded on his part. If he requested you pay for a single ticket, this is obviously more acceptable if you refused.

Unfortunately now, it's not a Penalty Fare matter, so you will have to await FCC's letter and play it by ear.

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I'm usually very conscientious when using carnets, and after an ordeal of a morning, I let my concentration slip. Hopefully, not having any previous record, I'll be given an opportunity to resolve things in good time. I'll update accordingly!

• 2 weeks later...

***Update***As of yesterday, received a 'Travel Irregularity' letter, making refernce to an offence of 'entering a train for the purpose of travelling without a ticket entitling travel'. Then given an option of paying £61 to deal with the matter without court action. I called the Prosecutions Department and paid by card today.Glad the matter is resolved, but still completely none the wiser as to how a penalty fare of £22 escalated into a £61 payment to avoid court action.My advice is:>avoid using carnets - one forgetful moment can cost you!>offer to pay any penalty mentioned IMMEDIATELY, then appeal afterward.Thanks for the advice all, and good luck with your travels!