Utter Despair - ESA stopped

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a letter yesterday saying my Employment Support Allowance has been stopped as I dont have enough points following their ATOS assessment.

I rang the DWP to find out what I should do the guy I spoke to couldnt have been more apathetic or unhelpful.

I have no money, no family or friends to turn to for support and my landlord has very kindly told me I can leave if I cant pay the rent.

I rang my GP he says there is nothing he can do.

My payment was due today. I havent received it. I have enough food for 3 days in my cupboard. Half of the money was for my rent as Housing Benefit no longer covers it.

I live in the middle of nowhere and am physically limited in getting about.

I look at all these web sites and Its like looking at a pile of spaghetti.

I have no idea what I should do or where to turn. I had two heart attacks in January a fortnight apart. I wish right now they had finished the job.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to CAG. I hope we can help you, I've changed your thread title to reflect your query.

When was your Atos 'medical' please and have you appealed the result?

I'm sure the guys will be along over the course of the day with advice for you. :)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi, my medical was on 23rd May and I just received the letter yesterday telling me I was not entitled. I telephoned them but got through to a really unhelpful guy who either didnt know or didnt care to tell me what I should do. I have written and told them I want a copy of the medical report and that I want to appeal but I havent actually submitted a formal appeal as yet. I found out today from a lady at DWP that there is a form I need to complete and she said she would post it to me. In the meantime they havent paid what was due today so I guess they just go ahead and stop your money. really clever as I now have no money for food and wont be able to pay my rent on 1st July.

Hello again.

The appeal form is called a GL24, you can print one off from the DWP website as well, if you have a printer. Or you can write a letter.

You need to get this in within a month from 23rd May and I hope the guys here will be able to tell you what you need to write. It doesn't have to be detailed if you don't have all the information in time, but you need to meet the deadline to protect yourself.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

you need to appeal against the decision quickly you can do this by the appeal form as honeybee stated or you can write a letter to them stating that you wish to appeal against the current ESA DECISION .

you only have a month to do this so its needs to be quickly id also send it recorded delivery so you have proof that you sent it to them? once they get this you will be paid again at the the rate of around £71.00.

unfortunately they can do this and they do do this

Your local council will probably suspend your benefit due to the fact the esa has stopped and I suggest you contact them explaining that you are going to appeal and ask for your HB to be paid on nil income at present. Provide a bank statement showing you have no current income. Can the citizens advice bureau help - they do a lot of these appeals as does Age Concern - and you don't have to be elderly. Can you get a crisis loan I wonder..............

• Confused 1

You'll also need to send in a new sick note from your GP. If stuck for food ask one of the benefit advisory orgs eg CAB or local benefit office to give you a voucher so you can access a local Food Bank meantime , where they'll give you some provisions. It's truly shocking in the 21st century that inefficient ommunication from the DWP etc can leave someone stuck with no money and no food. If they'd told you at the correct time, you could have had all these things sorted, and at least your appeal assessment rate being apid. Hope you get things sorted out soon.

I'm sure other posters will help help later today.

thank you all for the help and advice. I have alreaddy sent a letter to DWP advising them I want to appeal the decision but I had no other information at the time, their representative I spoke to on Tuesday didnt even seem to know there was a form for the appeals procedure. Sadly I dont have access to a printer so I will have to await the arrival of the form I was assured would be posted out to me although she was keen to stress it would be sent second class.

y'know I feel like giving up and just driving my car off a cliff. I went to my GP -says he cant help. went to the practice nurse -she said "well I'd better get on I'm quite busy today" I got s no useful help from seeing her other than to know my blood pressure is raised. Contact CAB says everyone I talk to - just rang them and got an automated message telling me "there are no advisors at any Bureau who are able to assist you. Press 1 for consumer advice - Press 2 for debt advice. I have 4 days food left and 2 weeks until my rent is due. I asked my GP for a referal to a food bank - that has been met with silence. Doesnt seem much hope anymore.

Hi watchdog,

You poor, poor thing. I am so sorry you are going through such a dreadful time. I can understand why you are in the depths of despair.

I helped a friend with an ESA problem last year and I just couldn't believe how dreadful the whole process was, with everyone pushing her from pillar to post.

I understand exactly what you mean by wanting to drive your car off a cliff; I felt the same when I first came to CAG except in my case it was the river. I was in total despair, as you are now, but I got through it and you will too with the help of people on CAG. We will all do our best to help you.

My first thought was a crisis loan too. Nowadays these are run by the local council in many areas. If not, ask DWP how to get one.

If you have any problems with the council, speak to your local councillor- that is what he is there for.

The landlord can't just throw you out in two weeks' time. He'd have to go through the eviction process which takes several weeks and hopefully things should be resolved in that time.

I am sure someone who knows exactly what to do with ESA problems will come along soon. I will be out for a couple of hours but will check on your thread as soon as I return.

Hang in there.

Big hug,

DDx

• Haha 1

First of all do not panic. I too am suffering the perils of the dwp and atos. Take it in your stride as I know how stressful it becomes. First of all contact your local council and advise them that your esa has been stopped pending an appeal. State the only change in your income is the fact you now receive nothing. Also ask for your benefit to be reinstated with immediate effect. This can be done on the phone as I have done this with my local authority. Stress to them that you have no income whatsoever. This problem can be sorted with a phone call. Secondly as previously stated the appeal needs to be on the GL24 form although I sent mine by email stating "accept as GL24" and give reason for appeal. If you have done this, great. State to the dwp that you wish for the esa payments to continue during your appeal. During this time you will need to provide sick notes from your gp. Failure to do this will cause ceased payments of esa benefit. Ask for a statement of reason as to why your esa has been stopped along with a copy of the healthcare professional report from atos. I can assure you when you gain receipt of the report you will find false eentries by the hcp. Use this as part of your appeal and raise complaint with atos. Dont let these people grind you down no matter what they throw at you. Those who try to bring you down means you are above them! Bear this in mind and keep strong. I still have an appeal but what I do have is a letter from atos stating the report is deficient and a letter from the dwp stating the report is not fit for purpose. This in tail they still wish to take me to tribunal. Hang on in there and you will succed,I promise.

I had a letter yesterday saying my Employment Support Allowance has been stopped as I dont have enough points following their ATOS assessment.

I rang the DWP to find out what I should do the guy I spoke to couldnt have been more apathetic or unhelpful.

I have no money, no family or friends to turn to for support and my landlord has very kindly told me I can leave if I cant pay the rent.

I rang my GP he says there is nothing he can do.

My payment was due today. I havent received it. I have enough food for 3 days in my cupboard. Half of the money was for my rent as Housing Benefit no longer covers it.

I live in the middle of nowhere and am physically limited in getting about.

I look at all these web sites and Its like looking at a pile of spaghetti.

I have no idea what I should do or where to turn. I had two heart attacks in January a fortnight apart. I wish right now they had finished the job.

To be brutally honest, the DWP don't give a damn! The letter that you received would have told you that you should now be making a claim for JSA. That is their normal advice as, according to them, you have been found fully fit for work and you should be now looking for a job, or if you already have one and are on the sick, you should get back to work.

The same letter would also have told you that if you didn't agree to the ESA decision you can appeal.

I presume that that is what you want to do.

Get the appeal form in (GL24) or a letter would do, and explain briefly why you think they are wrong and tell them that you want your ESA to start up again at the assessment rate. You will have to send in a new sick note.

Then ask the DWP for the ESA85 report and a Statement of Reasons for their decision.

The sooner that you send the appeal in the quicker your money will start again.

Once you have your ESA in payment again, the appeal accepted, then you can start planning on how you are going to fight them.

:watchdog19664:

Right, lets see if we can unravel the initial appeal bit of this spaghetti. :-)

I'm hoping that by now you've received a GL24 appeal form, but if not there's an example below. So long as a letter of appeal answers all the questions on the form it'll be accepted as a valid appeal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gl24-if-you-think-our-decision-is-wrong

Employment n support allowance isn't about heart attacks. For you, it's about the effect of your heart attacks on your capability for work. The work capability assessment looks at your ability, or not, to repeatedly perform the activities listed on pages 17 - 27 of the booklet below. And at whether work/work related activity may be a risk to your health, page 10 of the booklet.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_177366.pdf

For now, part 8 of the form only needs basic reasons for your appeal, for example;

The Atos assessment overestimated how far I can walk. Cos of my heart condition I can't walk, or self propel a manual wheelchair, more than 100 metres before I have to stop for a break.

My heart condition means that I tire very quickly, so I need to rest frequently. Day to day activities are continually interrupted by chest pain/ shortness of breath.

If your doctor agrees that you're not fit for work s/he can help by writing Med 3 (unfit) notes. Refer him/her to page 4 of;

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/gp-benefit-guide.pdf

And while you're there (assuming your doctor agrees that you're not fit for work) put in a written subject access request for your medical records. You can get everything that's held on their computer for a tenner and there may be some useful info to support your appeal.

Sincerely, Margaret.

Should you need to talk to someone before driving off a cliff, or into a river, you can contact the Smaritans via phone on 08457 909090 or electronic mail at [email protected]

http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you

Edited by **Margaret**

Hi

GL24 Form in PDF with form fields to fill in:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi all,

thank you so much for your support and assistance, I really felt at the depths of despair yesterday when I got the automated message on CAB saying there were no advisors available to help. I have now received this GL24 form and I wrote and asked my GP last Thursday for a new sick certificate even though mine is valid until 1st July, I also asked him for referal to a food bank - I feel so ashamed - so far I have had no response despite follow up requests. I am going to the surgery this morning.

I kept reading about ATOS descriptors on another site on facebook and I think I found the right ones on DWP's own site - funny but according to those I should have passed the damn assessment on walking ability alone.

I feel a bit more comforted to know you guys are here to help, Ive had memory problems and confidence problems since my heart attacks and its horrible feeling scared by something I wouldve done without a seconds thought before.

Hi Watchdog,

I'm so pleased to hear from you this morning. :-)

From what you have said I'm sure you should have passed the assessment, but ATOS are clearly there to get people working regardless of whether they are fit or not. :x

You must be very scared and frightened after your heart attacks. My mother had TIAs and she was terrified for months afterwards that anything she did might cause another one. It's hard to adapt to being a different person.

Don't worry about the food bank. It's a means to an end in an emergency.

Please ask for any help you need, and you can come online at any time even if it's only to let off steam because that can make people feel better too.

DDx

sorry guys I meant to ask before - I have not yet received a copy of the assessment report despite requesting it a week ago, should I go ahead and send the GL24 now without having sight of that report and once the appeal is submitted can I add to it at a later date if say I have forgotten something (which is quite likely). also does anyone know - am I still allowed free Prescriptions now they have taken my Benefit away? I'm guessing not. I keep seeing reports that the crisis loans no longer exist but I will give them a try. Thanks again

Crisis loans from DWP were stopped earlier this year which I think is appalling. The local Councils are supposed to help people with short term emergency loans, but different local councils do different things, so it will depend where you live. Call your local town hall and ask what they are doing, or you could look at their website and see if there is anything there.

I don't know about the prescriptions. I've just called a friend and she said she gets sent a card once a year, so if you have got one of those I'd continue using it. I don't see why you shouldn't as you have an appeal in.

Sorry I can't advise on what you should do about the form, but I'm sure someone will come and advise you soon.