Help: Approved Used vehicle bought died within 11 months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I bought an approved used vehicle 11 months ago and while I was driving the water pump failed which in turn caused the cambelt to snap and more or less destroyed the engine. Before getting the keys of the car the dealer did a 100 points check and MOTed the vehicle with no problems found. The car was 5 years old when I got it so it's almost 6 now. Moreover it had only 18K miles when I got it and now has 26K. To whoever I've talked to said that this should not have happened according to the age and mileage of the car. I took it to an official garage to check it and they are telling me that it would cost £3600 to fix the engine or £4000 to replace it. The car was bought for £5000.

Do I have a chance to apply the Sale of Goods act of 1979 and ask for a repair of the vehicle?

Thanks

Why didn't I know.

The points you mentioned and the MoT would not have brought up any faults or likelihood of future failure with the water pump.

Search the net first off and see if this is an inherent fault, see if others with that model and year have the same problem.

Was there anti-freeze in the water ?