carlwrighteous

Accident while getting out of a Mini Cab...what are my rights?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2262 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Thanks for posting that up migster

To be honest, i used these private mini cabs almost everyday (company account) I have never even seen a ID badge. I suppose most of the mini cab companies are big firms and drivers are now employees rather than self employed now. I would think the dispatch companies pay those fees which are in comparison with licensed taxi operators, min you, it has been a while since i was last in London

He also said that the driver committed two offences. 1) allowing me to exit the cab on the road 2)failure to stop at the scene of an accident and he will have to admit both of these if he or the insurer take this further.

That sounds about right. I drive a bus and while it is perfectly ok to allow people get off in places other than at bus stops the golden rule applies. (If it is safe to do so). Allowing someone to alight while in the offside lane at lights is a No No.

If you are contacted by the innocent party direct them to the Cab firm. You hired the cab and paid the fare which covers you. Any damage caused as a result of you opening the door falls on the vehicles insurers.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

That sounds about right. I drive a bus and while it is perfectly ok to allow people get off in places other than at bus stops the golden rule applies. (If it is safe to do so). Allowing someone to alight while in the offside lane at lights is a No No.

If you are contacted by the innocent party direct them to the Cab firm. You hired the cab and paid the fare which covers you. Any damage caused as a result of you opening the door falls on the vehicles insurers.

That depends on a few things. Not only does it needs to be safe, it also needs to be legal. (Speaking as an ex-bus driver)

As far as the issue is concerned, the OP is partially responsible for the incident (as someone has already pointed out earlier in the thread). The OP claims the driver agreed for him to get out but then that would be his word against the driver. Sorry but there is negligence on the OP's side as well.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Sorry but there is negligence on the OP's side as well.

I agree there is negligence on the OP's side but that would still be covered by the vehicle insurance.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I must agree with this, if there is any third party claim, the insurance company will deal with that directly with any other parties to the accident

And what about the excess and any other uninsured loss?

Please Note

Please Note

Will the insurance company not have their own department to recover uninsured losses

The last time i was hit from behind, i was out of pocket for nine months trying to get my excess back, my insurance company recommended a company who recovered my excess

Will the insurance company not have their own department to recover uninsured losses

The last time i was hit from behind, i was out of pocket for nine months trying to get my excess back, my insurance company recommended a company who recovered my excess

But it's the OP's 'side' which is liable it seems. So either the taxi driver or the OP will have to pay the excess.

Please Note

Please Note

I agree in what you are saying but it will be up to the insurance company to decide who is liable for what and apportion any sort of blame

I myself think the mini cab driver was uninsured, that is why he wants it settled in cash

But it's the OP's 'side' which is liable it seems. So either the taxi driver or the OP will have to pay the excess.

Please Note

There's no visible damage to the taxi, would be highly unusual to have an excess to pay if no own damage

I wouldnt be offering anything, the can driver has (??) insurance to cover such things as liability of drivers for hire and reward is different to ordinary car owners. Ignore all pleas to settle in cash and see if his insurers send you any communication. I bet they dont.

The cost of hire and reward insurance for the Taxi trade is totally unfordable to the average person, that is why a cab will be running 24 hours a day. private hire drivers find it difficult to make a living, its different in counties outside London where drivers are registered through the council and are plated.

London is dodge city where mini cab drivers are concerned as they are not vetted the same as outside London or black cab plated drivers

Sorry, your talking rubbish.

Drivers undergo an enhanced crb check. Cars have to have 2 mot's a year and a pco test.

Hire and reward when I was doing it(5yrs ago) was £40pw tpft only.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

If you have worked in the private hire trade in London then you will know the term i use "dodge city" for mini cab drivers is correct. After midnight on a Friday or Saturday evening you cannot move 50 feet in the west end without a mini cab unlicensed tout asking if you want a cab. London is the only place this happens. £40 a week insurance is still £2000 a year, add to that the hackney MOT, insurance, wear and tear, medical, Council ID badge, paying rent to the company if self employed, etc,etc, you can see why a lot of people slip under the radar and just "blag it"