housing benefit proof

hessey50
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently had my son 12 move to me full time rather than 60% of the time with me and my daughter 14 who has been full time since wife left, now divorced no orders made.

I notified council but

1 they insist they need proof that I get the child benefit for him, this will take time through Benefits Agency as I am just applying and suspect ex will drag feet replying she wants to have it then give it to me I said no. I thought they needed this only if there was a dispute as to where he lives.

2 must produce his birth certificate . I have his passport, euro medical card, he now gets free school meals from same council refering to my address and school know where he lives. Council know he exists as they have been and probably still are paying ex. I dont see why a birth certificate is ok but a passport is not "an official proof"

Am I being unreasonable or just dealing with a Richards Cranium?

Its important I get this sorted as I have been paying effectively for a 2 child family and only getting one child support and I really dont see why I should be clobbered by the bedroom tax etc when he is living with me.

Edited by hessey50
cant spell!!

We all have to provide birth certificates when applying for housing benefit, it's just standard procedure, & yes they do also always want to see proof of Child benefit, that one they may accept proof from bank statements? Worth asking them. Child benefit is connected to CSA too so if you wanted to claim that, you would need to be getting child benefit.

Found this on the gov site proof of identity for hb

Such as a birth certificate, marriage or civil partnership certificate,

passport, medical card, driving licence, UK residence permit, ID

Card (Resident permit), EEC identity card or recent gas or

electricity bill.

So why does my council insist on Birth Certificate? I know every one gets one but in my case the mum has it claims to have lost it so why is a passport not ok I will have to spend money I dont have to get one if I must?

Its easy but it costs thats my issue when DWP and my councils own website say a passport is ok along with the things they list as above I am being told differently and no reason given no legislation is being quoted I think a complaint to cheif exec is on. I know it seems nit picking but it does cost money and I cannot see why a birth certificate is evidence he exists but a passport isnt

Thought as much, complained, saw someone different and no issue at all they could not see why the fixation on birth certificate, agreed c benefit could take weeks and went ahead with claim it was a richards cranium!