Am I at Fault and Should I Pay for his repairs or go to my car insurance company?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I would be most grateful for people's thoughts on this as really undecided what to do.

The story begins with going to pick up my kids from gymnastics this afternoon. A man came to my car and said that I ran over his bike that was laying on the floor in a private car park. I asked him if he had photographic evidence, he said no and I asked if he saw me do it and he said no, but he got my reg number driving away, apparently his six year old daughter saw me do it. I said there are lots of cars coming to and from and it definitely was not me. He said that his daughter saw me and had my reg number and that I had to pay him for full repair of the bike.

So my question how do I stand legally with regards to this as I swear I did not run over anything and feel as if I am being stitched up for something I didn't do. I would say I would call my insurance company, but don't really want to do that as even though I may not claim they will still log me as being involved in an alleged accident, I am with the AA and they can be very sneaky about those kinds of things. So I don't really know what to do, because if I refuse to pay he may go to the police what do I do if that happens and who will they believe as he apparently has a witness. Please help me, very worried :-(

Hiya, thank you ever so much for your replies, I will do that. There is no damage to my car at all, have checked it all this evening. Obviously if I did do it I would have stopped and I would have felt it surely? But I genuinely didn't know anything about it until he came up to me this evening. I think he probably knows it was a long shot as he asked me to pay for the repairs rather than go through my insurance company, but I said that I wanted to ask my insurance company to see where I stood, rather than agree to give him cash for the repairs. If I do go to the police and say they find in his favour won't I get into more trouble, than going through my insurance company or even just offering him money to just get him off my back? Have never had any dealings with the police, and they scare me senseless!!!

The police arnt stupid, the only way i can imagine you might get in trouble is if there was CCTV evidence of you running over the bike, then it may be driving without due care and attention, but if your 100%you didnt then you have nothing to worry about :)

I don't believe there is any way on earth you can drive over a bike and not know about it!! So, if as you say, you are totally unaware of having done so, then you absolutely can't have done it.