help RPL problem dont know where to go

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello everyone sorry for the post but ive been lurking the forums for some time now and i am reassuring myself through this but i am going slightly crazy :( (sorry i cant punctuate or grammar i am dyslexic )

yesterday i was caught shoplifting which i am deeply sorry for and remorseful

and i really did not mean too but i was taken too the back

and the police were called and i was given a fixed penalty notice of 80 pounds

now from what ive been reading and a little laminated piece of paper on the table

ive started to worry that i am going to recieve an RPL letter asking for an amount of money

that i just do not have ( unemployed student )

i was given a 80 pound on the spot fine by the police

and after asking numerous times was told that this was it and that if i payed the 80 pound fine that was it.

i am extremely scared that im going to receive this now

as im not that strong willed a person and ive been keapt up all night sick with worry

about what will happen

i have taken all advice and contacted citizens advice beureu via email to see what they can do.

the general consensus seems to just ignore them but all the posts i see on here

stop before you find out if they got another letter or not :(

i am already 9 grand in debt and can not pay any more as i simply do not have any money :(

any advice is welcome and i am a complete noob with this forum

i am just reaching a point of desperation where i am reaching out to every possible place.

my head is really like torture right now :(

help.

calm down

rlp are not the law

they cannot 'fine' people anything.

you've had the FPN.

that's the end of it

just ignore the ever increasing threats from rlp

they go nowhere but the bin.

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yea sure

I've moved you post to the rlp forum

if you click the redish rlp etc up the top here and have a read of a few threads

you'll soon get the idea

just shout if you have troubles again.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello there.

Don't be scared, the police have said that's the end of it. :) You might find it helpful to see the CAB if you can get an appointment. They aren't fans of RLP either.

I agree that it would be nice if people let us know when the letters stop, but if they haven't come back to say that threats have materialised, then I would see that as good news in its own way.

You may well receive the letter trail, just come back here and we'll give you a pep talk. :)

My best, HB

• Confused 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

thankyou guys honestly i was about to break down all this is just so helpful ive emailed cab to see what there advice is and ill update with what they have said. it seems the general consensus is to just ignore them, is it worth sending them just one letter saying i will not be entering into communications with you or should i just leave the letters in the bin where they belong? ill be sure to update as much as i can so people who are in the same situation with me knows the time frame with which they give up :)

Talking from personal experience, I'm 18 months down the line and although I no longer receive letters from RLP, I now receive letters from a DCA! Be strong when the letters come through your door. I used to dread the postman coming but I've armed myself with knowledge from here and the CAB. I know my rights and know that what they're doing is wrong. I've reported the DCA in question to the OFT for attempting to recover a debt that doesn't exist. I have made absolutely nil contact with either RLP or the DCA.

You have been dealt with by the police, take it as a lesson learned. But don't let some parallel "legal" system try to punish you twice.

I would assume that people do not update their threads as the letters have stopped and/or nothing else has happened.

All the best :)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

so you have replied to no letters at all? i was given my options by cab and am considering sending them a letter that i would be able to pay 50 pounds in installments of 10 pounds a month. would this be wise or shall i just ignore it? i hate the idea of being chased in the post it would make my unsafe i am glad you have not had anything for 18 months! how regular are your mails from dca? i am thinking that maybe i can just pay half the debt and get them off my back i dont want to be waiting by the door wondering if im going to be taken to court today, its driving me crazy just thinking about it, thank you for your reply and i await talking to you more ^_^ such a great forum

so you have replied to no letters at all? i was given my options by cab and am considering sending them a letter that i would be able to pay 50 pounds in installments of 10 pounds a month. would this be wise or shall i just ignore it? i hate the idea of being chased in the post it would make my unsafe i am glad you have not had anything for 18 months! how regular are your mails from dca? i am thinking that maybe i can just pay half the debt and get them off my back i dont want to be waiting by the door wondering if im going to be taken to court today, its driving me crazy just thinking about it, thank you for your reply and i await talking to you more ^_^ such a great forum

I don't know why the CAB are suggesting this. From memory, it's not recommended in their report about RLP. I wonder if you got an adviser who misunderstood what this is about.

Don't pay.

HB

And when I said I'm 18 months down the line, I meant that I'm still hearing from them 18 months later. Although the letters from RLP ceased a couple of months ago, I now get letters from a DCA. Letters average one every 6-8 weeks

no never ever pay them

dx

and they

thats great guys thank you for all the amazing advice, i have taken all your advice and decided to ignor them for the time being all goods were taken back in sale able condition and my friend who had visited after i had told him told me all the items had been put back in shelves and sold again i have replied to cab asking if there best advice is to ignor them which is what i shall do. i dont want to pay for a second fine i am already 20 pounds into my overdraft because of this :(

it is NOT A FINE

its a speculative invoice.

dx

and they

so i am no way meant to pay this? i dont want to be the one case they take too court :/ man this place is so reassuring so glad i came here. i was just about ready to buckle

Everyone says this when they arrive here. Please do some more reading around the forum and the CAB report. Then you might start to believe us. :)

Just keep repeating what dx said: it's not a fine, it's a speculative invoice.

HB

yes ive read every forum on here;p just to boost my confidence haha i am just reading the cab report and it seems if i ever were to reply to them it would be best to seek a drafted copy from cab to help me defend myself from this silly demand. i can tell them where to shove there speculative invoice!

I would not enter into any letter tennis

just remember that cab stuff although relevant is a bit dated now.

dx

and they

is it? will anything be different if its dated? ive reuqested cab to draft me a letter saying i would be willing to make an offer of 50 pounds to stop this letter business and to just leave me alone :( i dont wish this upon anyone

Hi beastbrett, I am a year further down the line from you. I didn't have letters from RLP, mine were from Drydens. I had two, the last one was last July. I didn't write back to them, I didn't pay, and hoping I wont be getting any more. Hope all works out well for you.

• Confused 1

man all the old players are coming out of the cracks:) thats great man if they just let you go like that and a year down the line aswell it gives me hope :) you never responded to them at all then ? im glad you managed to escape. its a horrible feeling isnt it? i feel like im being haunted by the postman

its a horrible feeling isnt it? i feel like im being haunted by the postman

This is exactly how civil recovery companies want you to feel. No different to a playground bully saying he'll 'be waiting outside school'.

It's important to remember that these are only letters - pieces of paper with computer writing on them - and sending them is the only thing RLP can do. They will threaten that the retailer may take court action, but as we've seen retailers appear to be reluctant to do this; for a start, the legal basis for any claim is shaky, and retailers aren't keen on the bad publicity that might result. We've also seen that they are likely to lose when a claim is properly defended, especially when they rely on RLP's matrix.

Beastbrett I well remember the feeling! No, I didn't respond at all, it was a choice between sending the short reply letter that some recommend, or ignoring them. I chose to ignore. You'll be ok, and a year from now you'll be wondering why you let it upset you so much :) Learn from your mistake and move on.