Motorcycle clamped

andthere
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

My motorcycle was clamped for not having a valid tax disc on display. The thing is I have declared the motorcycle on SORN back in March 2013. I checked the same on DVLA's site and it says (with other vehicle information) "SORN not due", which I think means the SORN is valid and not due yet. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Now comes the tricky bit. I have always kept this SORNed motorcycle (I have two and I haven't used the SORNed vehicle since it was SORNed) on the sidewalk. Today someone must have moved it. Bottom line is, it was clamped whilst on a side road.

To be honest I don't need the motorcycle, as I don't wish to keep it. I have just not been able to get around to disposing it off.

My question is what happens if I don't pay to have my vehicle released? There was a leaflet left on the motorcycle which says and I quote

If you do not pay to have your vehicle released

- if it's currently clamped, it will be taken to a vehicle pound after 24 hours

- if it's currently impounded, it could be disposed of after seven days at the pound

If you no longer want the vehicle, tell DVLA by returning a vehicle disclaimer form. If you are the registered keeper, you'll be sent this form when the vehicle is impounded, or you can get one from the vehicle pount.

Since I don't want the vehicle, what happens if I do not pay?

Will there be further fees or penalties?

What is the best course of action?

Thank you very much for reading and your help.

Can you post up what is/was attached to the motorcycle, in particular the company detail of the clampers ?

There is a chance they had a quiet day and chose to move the vehicle themselves.

There is a big yellow sticker which has a DVLA logo on it and 'STOP! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE THIS UNTAXED VEHICLE... IT IS AN OFFENCE TO INTERFERE WITH THE WHEELCLAMP...." ( apologies for the caps but that's how it is on the sticker)

It gives a link to a site for veas[dot]co[dot]uk (I can't post links as my post count is below 10) and a phone number. On the right corner it says 'An executive agency of the Department of Transport"

Under this sticker there was an information bulletin from DVLA numbered INF32.

On the triangular wheel clamp there was some hand writen number in black.

Edited by andthere

About moving of the motorbike. I am not sure. It could be some cheeky sod walking by or the wheel clampers or someone else. The funny thing is my street is not really a busy street. It's more like a side street that leads to a cul de sac more like and some council estates and it's a one way street. People only get on this street to go to their houses or park by the sidewalk.

Firstly, contact your local council to ascertain if they are responsible for the upkeep at the exact spot where the motorcycle was left by you.

This is because if the spot was not 'maintained at public expense' no tax etc was required and it should therefore have been correctly located for SORN purposes.

As a secondary question ask about the exact spot where you found it with the clamp.

If they still say they are not responsible for maintaining it as it was not part of the public highway you then show copies of their response to DVLA and the clampers together with your estimate of your costs and demanding the moto be released and your costs met.

If there are difference responses for each location come back here for further advice over the suggested moving of the moto by those outside your control.

Let us know anyway.

Thanks Tony P, will do first thing tomorrow morning.

squaddie: I am unable to reply to private messages (as my post count is not above 30), so I can't reply to your private message about interest in taking the bike of me. Anyways, it's a yamaha sr 125 ( runner ) - but no tax (SORNed) or mot