Dignity at work grievance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work in the Civil service for the last 10 years, I have worked in other jobs before that.

I took a grievance out against my business manager, as after 6 years, I had a breakdown, due to her constant shouting and degrading behaviour towards us.

I have since got a transfer, but the CS are not upholding my grievances, as they say and I am actually quoting here "It is generally accepted that isolated incidents of unreasonable behaviour such as abruptness, sharpness or rudeness whilst totally unacceptable, should not be described as bullying"

It was taken under a DAW complaint, and I had witnesses and 3 grievances were decided to be investigated by an outsourced company that looks after our HR. They investigated and sent the results back to my dept. They have quoted as above, and I am going to appeal it. I have asked for the investigation papers, as I need to know what happened at the interviews etc, and they say they don't know whether they can give me all the material.

I can't appeal it unless I see what evidence they made their decision on? Surely in a criminal court the defence get disclosure and the defendant sees all the evidence.

Any advise on this one?

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

It went on for 6 years, and I put in 12 incidents, but only three were upheld by the outsourced company HR Connect.

I don't understand how they think any kind of behaviour like this is acceptable. DAW is a item which we are constantly bombarded with surveys, exercises, and none of it seems to matter.

I have given up now, reporting incidents of people doing wrong or bullying, harassing someone else, because this is the answer I got back from my own HR, and I can't see the evidence that they based it on.

Three incidents had witnesses, but the rest of the office knew and still know what the office management is like. They won't complain though

Edited by Lilythepink
Added information

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

I got a transfer to another office immediately, but was off sick for a year, from PTSD, nearly committed suicide over the bullying. I have requested the information under the FOI and under Data protection, but they are still deciding what I can have.

LilythePink

well it just seems that you really cant get on with people in any office and perhaps you have a different outlook on what is wrong or right to others, I honestly think that one way or another you will always have problems at this job whatever dept you work in nd all the complaints and grievences in the world are not going to make a blind bit of difference except mark you out for getting rid of asap because you cause/or see problems in everything. Sorry if that sounds harsh but its what I think

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

You've submitted a grievance. Your employer has not upheld it, and therefore disagrees with your view of events. It is difficult because bullying is very subjective; I may think we are having a "firm talk" about performance or timekeeping, you may feel you are being bullied. Which of us is right? Probably both to some degree.

You can appeal, and if the appeal is unsuccessful, you can go to ET

In honesty I would have dismissed after you had been off sick for 6 months as that is a very long time not to be at work; I think you have a decision to make about how much you want this job, what you are prepared to put up with, and what is best for your health, as I cannot see you getting any help from your employer any time soon, from what you have written.

Your health is the single most important thing.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Why on earth would you say that, I am very happy in my job, and with normal people. I haven't worked in the civil service all my life, have worked in the BBC/ITV, and never had a complaint about anybody, as there was dignity at work in these places. So don't judge me, you don't know me, and you don't know how I was treated in that department. Harsh is not the word for it, you are judging me and my personal experience, whereas anyone would just look at the evidence and the facts.

LilythePink

You've submitted a grievance. Your employer has not upheld it, and therefore disagrees with your view of events. It is difficult because bullying is very subjective; I may think we are having a "firm talk" about performance or timekeeping, you may feel you are being bullied. Which of us is right? Probably both to some degree.

You can appeal, and if the appeal is unsuccessful, you can go to ET

In honesty I would have dismissed after you had been off sick for 6 months as that is a very long time not to be at work; I think you have a decision to make about how much you want this job, what you are prepared to put up with, and what is best for your health, as I cannot see you getting any help from your employer any time soon, from what you have written.

Your health is the single most important thing.

Yes I know my health was important, and I was very ill, and did not get any benefits etc. I am in another dept now, and the equality commission were going to handle the case for me, as you are discriminating against a person with a disability, when a condition lasts over 12 months. Bullying is hard to explain, but there was no other descriptive box to tick.....

LilythePink

Lily, what outcome are you looking for? Are you happy in the department where you are working now?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Actually I am looking for the truth to be told, as I have the investigation report, which I requested through the FOI/Data, and there are several items in it, that are wrong. Line management have made statements about me, saying more or less that I have problems, which I wouldn't have, if I had not went to work there. I need to clarify things that have been said, as it is my perception, and reputation that is being sullied. I am very happy in my present position, but still do not think that management that write statements that I raised no issue, and in the next paragraph, say the issues that I raised, so which is it, and it was suggested that I had problems, and I just needed to pin it on someone. Not very nice, whenever I had witnesses, and tried to please them in every way. I don't want money, but if I don't do something to put my side of things, I will thought of as just a complainer.

LilythePink

You should be relly clear here about possible outcomes.

Management have made it clear they are standing with management.

The odds of anyone being "punished" for bad behaviour towards you are almost nil.

I am not sure this is worth your effort. The best way to have a good reputation is to work well and be a team player now.

I think it has gone on long enough. I would really, truly, let it go. There are other things in life to concentrate on.

• Haha 1

I do agree, I have learnt a lesson the hard way, and suffered for it. It is a pity I don't trust management anymore. I do work hard, and love where I am now, trusted and treated as one of the crowd, which is great. Hard work and plenty of it, and a good manager.

I have let go, but when it rears it ugly head again, I just feel so stressed by it. I need to just think that I am in control, I never have to see them again, and the sun is shining today, and if they want to tell lies and blame me, let them go ahead.

LilythePink

i truly think that's for the best. Take the fact that your new team value you, as confirmation you are quite normal!

thank you, I have as I said a lesson hard learned. management in the Civil Service should be aware of bullying of people, harassment etc. the civil service gave mouthpieces to this but don't really take it seriously, unlike someone like me, protests, and then they close ranks.

A lesson hard learned....not happy about it, but moving on...

LilythePink

Just a question though, if the respondents in this case, have told lies, and have said I have issues and need to pin it on someone, and then say I raised no issues. Say they can't remember etc etc, its a bundle of lies, whilst my witnesses have supported me, in that they told the truth, the way I as affected, and what they saw of different incidents, none of them except one, said they couldn't remember.

LilythePink

Lily,

if you are going to let it go, you have to let it all go. Picking over the carcass of the details is going to drive you crazy!

I knew you would come back and say that. I am letting it go bit by bit, but I am letting it go.....LOL

LilythePink

Good on you. Now what are you doing nie for yourself this weekend to keep you busy and take your mind off it? Walk? BBQ? Cinema?