BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2500 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hello!

The wife and I recieved a summons for this years c

.t of £280+£95 summons costs.

Last week I emailed the council to propose a payment arrangement,for the c.t owing,without the summons costs.

The council have emailed,rejecting the payment plan and then adding £25 court costs(the court date on the summons is for next weds)

phoned the council this morning,and set up a payment plan,for the full amount,the woman told me I dont need to go to court,but my case will still be heard,so my questions are..

should I still go to court,and try to get the council. summons charge removed?

and try to get the council. summons charge removed?

On what basis ? - its it's simply because they wouldn't agree a payment arrangement then the council have not done anything illegal by refusing an arrangement and issuing the summons.

You can always ask that court not to grant costs but its very unlikely they won't based on the argument above.

just seems alittle unfair,to add £95 then another £25 on top!

just seems alittle unfair,to add £95 then another £25 on top!

It is unfair, and I would not be accepting such a rip off situation..

If you don't mind going to the Magistrates' court and appearing in front of the bench, you could argue that the costs have not been reasonably incurred by the council.

The council's computer system will have auto-generated 100s if not 1,000s of summonses, consequently £120 will not have been incurred by the authority.

However, these are kangaroo courts and you're unlikely to get a fair hearing. The council will most likely have its costs awarded by the justices but you are entitled to make them earn their immoral earnings.

Edited by outlawla

would it be easier to pay up and chase the council later? but Im more than happy to go to court though!

Here are some options;

1. Pay £280+£95 summons costs before next Wednesday's court hearing and save incurring £25. (Guaranteed saving of £25)

2. Pay £280+£95 summons costs before court hearing and save incurring £25, also dispute costs at court. (Guaranteed saving of £25 plus very remote possibility of reduced costs)

3. Make payment as arranged with council and incur £25 on top of £95. You could still exercise your right to appear before Magistrates to dispute costs. (very remote possibility of reduced costs)