• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

No contract - What to do?

QubeHip
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys.

I joined this forum originally to get in on the chatting and help other people out wherever I can even though I'm not particularly the most skilled individual when it comes to money and legal jargon, but it seems I'm a person who needs help now, although nothing in-depth (for now).

As it stands now, I work as a garbage collector and part-time snow removal in Manitoba, Canada. I don't make very much money but have always done well for myself all things considered, and provide for my wife and kid decently if my word is to be trusted...

But our living circumstances are complicated, needless to say. We are currently living in a rented home, however, we are not the renter. To avoid anything confusing, the layout is:

Owner -> Renter -> Me

However, we have no contract with either party. In fact, we are living in this home as part of an agreement with the renter... Verbal agreement. The owner has no clue that the renter isn't living in the house and that it's us instead. From what I have found out by asking around, I pay the rent the renter must pay with a little bit extra, so I guess this is something he does to turn a profit from doing something like this.

The renter has been coming around increasingly more often in the past weeks. First, it was to make sure everything was running well. Then, he simply hung around the house. Every time I would object (mainly because my daughter would complain), he would inform me rather blandly that it is his contract, his house. This was not what we agreed upon.

I am beginning to become worried that maybe he will evict us from our home without us being able to really do much of anything, and I have made an appointment with a lawyer next month as I live somewhere rather rural and he is gone on vacation. I don't have the money to afford traveling to the city, and paying for this lawyer was close enough to not being possible.

This then begs the question... What are my options? Can I get a contract several months into living here? Can I go to the owner and inform him of the situation? Is what I'm doing essentially illegal? Are verbal agreements even remotely valid under a housing system?

Any information would be great... I'm not looking for really in-depth explanations or ideas, just a general overview of what's open to me before I go to the lawyer. I am not good with this stuff and I want to make sure I address everything I can when I meet with him.

Thanks!

P.S. This is posted under homelessness in the off-chance that I have no options and may end up being, indeed, evicted with nowhere else to go for a few months.

Hello and Welcome QubeHip,

I'm not sure you'll get the answers your looking for, this is a mainly UK based site so I'm not sure you'll find anyone here well versed in Canadian housing issues.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hello and Welcome QubeHip,

I'm not sure you'll get the answers your looking for, this is a mainly UK based site so I'm not sure you'll find anyone here well versed in Canadian housing issues.

Regards,

Scott.

Understandable! I've found that a few things are similar between our nations since we're both Commonwealth, but you may be right that there are big differences... I figured that since I was already registered here I should try this avenue first to avoid registering elsewhere.

Generally speaking, is there a way to do something about a situation like this in the UK? Specific terms? I wonder if legal jargon is pretty universal in English speaking countries, so I could certainly look up and specify whatever I get told to inquire whether or not there's something similar here... Good idea or?

Had a look around for about 30 minutes on that site this morning and couldn't find anything about what a tenant should do in a situation such as mine. I fear that maybe this is a bit of a rarity in housing. Will this turn out to be a situation where I just need to wait for the lawyer and see what he says?

I have no idea I am afraid, as it has already been noted, that this is a UK site with UK regulations and laws. It is probably best that you seek legal help within Canadian Laws etc.

Darn. Fair enough. Thanks for providing the website link!

Hi have a look at this link:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/cca/rtb/

Please also have a good read of this link from same site I do feel you really need to get some housing advice from an advice agency or your council to assist you in your local area.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/cca/rtb/gbook/s2tenagree_assign-sublet1.html also on this link near the bottom look out for Forms & Form Letters and have a look at the document Assignment or Subletting of Tenancy Agreement you will have to download it (its a word document).

This link is to The Residential Tenancies Act: http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/r119ei.php

From what I have read it seems like the main Tenant has Sublet the property to yourself without seeking permission from the landlord and completing a Form 3 Assignment or Subletting of Tenancy Agreement for yourself as the main Tenant would need the landlords permission.

As this is Canadian Law and more specific a Housing matter you really need to seek advice on this so that you know exactly what your rights are try going to and advocacy, advice centre or you council housing department

Edited by stu007
  • Haha 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

These PDFs may be of help:

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Thank you so much for the links, Stu! I never thought about actually going to the Manitoba government site, oddly enough. I had a quick look over the .doc you told me to check out and it seems you're right that this is what I needed. I definitely didn't see any form or written agreement, and I will be printing this stuff out for my appointment next month. I now at least know what I need to ask about, thankfully.

Thank you again! This is superbly helpful.

Your more than welcome glad to be of help

What you need to bear in mind is you have NO written Agreement and the Landlord is also unaware of your tenancy in the property.

You really need to seek advice on this as a matter of urgency to know exactly what your legal rights are with no agreement in place and no landlord permission I cannot stress that enough especially since the actual tenant with the landlords agreement is now using that against you.

My concern is the no agreement in place or landlord permission but as I don't know Canadian Law my best advice is that you need to seek advice on this as a matter urgently so you know what your legal rights are especially if eviction may be a possibility.

Your more than welcome glad to be of help

What you need to bear in mind is you have NO written Agreement and the Landlord is also unaware of your tenancy in the property.

You really need to seek advice on this as a matter of urgency to know exactly what your legal rights are with no agreement in place and no landlord permission I cannot stress that enough especially since the actual tenant with the landlords agreement is now using that against you.

My concern is the no agreement in place or landlord permission but as I don't know Canadian Law my best advice is that you need to seek advice on this as a matter urgently so you know what your legal rights are especially if eviction may be a possibility.

I understand. I think I might see if there's a temporary position at a local factory so I can foot the bill to see a lawyer in the city immediately rather than wait for the town's lawyer next month in July... I'm not sure if eviction is a genuine possibility, but my daughter is complaining about his presence rather often, my wife is starting to avoid being inside the house when he's around, and I'm left in an uncomfortable position where I can either keep trying to get him to leave or just swallow the discomfort and deal with it quietly. I'll be keeping quiet for the next month at least, just so I can figure out what my options are for this situation.

Thank you again!

Hi

Have a look at this link on Find an Advocate as the one listed may be of help as they deal with housing and tenants (I know it says families and children but no harm in asking as they may help or if they cant may be able to point you in the right direction of somewhere else local)

http://www.povnet.org/find-an-advocate/mb/housing-and-tenants

Is there a way you might be able to find out who the landlord is? Here we have a legal register of ownership of houses and this gives a starting point. As you are at risk of losing the house, it might be worth discussing with whoever advises you.., if its worth contacting the landlord directly (with proof of the rent you've paid if you have it) and asking if you could rent from him directly. The worst that can happen is that you will lose the house. The best that you will be paying less rent and will be able to stop this guy u took the tenancy from from visiting when he feels like it.

Of course, I do appreciate this may be too simplistic a view. You may have to fund a deposit you don't have with a new landlord. But you might just be able to come to an agreement with him too. But before you do anything about this, I'd advise discussing all options and consequences with an experienced advisor of some sort.

Is there a way you might be able to find out who the landlord is? Here we have a legal register of ownership of houses and this gives a starting point. As you are at risk of losing the house, it might be worth discussing with whoever advises you.., if its worth contacting the landlord directly (with proof of the rent you've paid if you have it) and asking if you could rent from him directly. The worst that can happen is that you will lose the house. The best that you will be paying less rent and will be able to stop this guy u took the tenancy from from visiting when he feels like it.

Of course, I do appreciate this may be too simplistic a view. You may have to fund a deposit you don't have with a new landlord. But you might just be able to come to an agreement with him too. But before you do anything about this, I'd advise discussing all options and consequences with an experienced advisor of some sort.

I echo this and this may actually be a point that isn't touched upon yet! If you can figure out who the landlord is and can provide records of your rent payments and proof that you do, indeed, live there, you may be able to force a situation of special circumstances. It may be wishful thinking, but after consulting with a lawyer you may want to consider that option. It would be naturally better if you can find a way to replace the current tenant and take over the contract, or maybe get a new, cheaper contract because of how poorly his/her tenant handled the situation!

Your lawyer will likely contact the landlord anyways, if there is anything to be done. Be prepared to move out at any given moment, just in case. You never know what your current landlord will do, or what the property landlord will do, or what the law itself will do.

Best of luck!! :)

HI QubeHip

Just thought Id pop in and see how you managed to get on with this?