Need Logbook help Please

sick2death
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please can you help me,ive been going round & round in circles on the web :(

On 6th May 2012 i sold my car to a man who i only knew as Gary. After giving him all the paperwork etc i walked & totally forgot about my logbook so i phoned him & he said he would call back through with it but he didnt. Ive phoned him about five times now and he has different excuses,the latest from his girlfriend saying his in prison!

I phoned the Police and they just told me to contact DVLA. Ive been on the DVLA website and i can write to them but they need the new owners name and address,which ive asked his girlfriend for and she won't give me it saying i need to speak to Gary (who's in jail)

So im totally at a loss what to do? He's basically through my stupidity stolen my logbook and i think im probably going to get in serious trouble. But theres no forms i can fill in that has this problem. I dont even think he has the car anymore. Please tell me if theres anything i can do.

He may have paid but he (or his accomplices) are not playing it straight. Time for you to do the same.

Remember the original Thomas Crown Affair film?

Faye Dunaway gave Steve McQueen (or the other way around) a desk sign saying "Think dirty"

Protect yourself using their levels of openness! Tell them it is stolen - which it is, as they have not fully completed their side of the bargain.

And protect your Dad from all this - you only ever have one Dad and he is special.

Edited by citizenB

Thanks Tony..Ive always been an honest person,maybe thats where im going wrong.

I bought a car about 6yrs ago from a used car dealer and AGAIN in all the small talk and document swapping,i got half way home in the new car and the dealer foned me to say i hadn't paid for it! So i apologized and went back and paid lol,it was because we were talking.

Anyway his girlfriend or someone has just text me to say its at a car dealers in Heckmondwike,West Yorkshire,so il phone them in the morning and see what happens. If your right and law is that he hasnt kept up his side of the sale then il report it stolen i guess? I just dont want to get in trouble. Is that the law then Tony? If it is then il do it. Just that im about to start a new job and there will be a CRB check and conspiracy to 'do whatever it is' wont look good.. But yeh i only have one dad and this would put him back in hospital he's so ill and worries.

Just that im about to start a new job and there will be a CRB check and conspiracy to 'do whatever it is' wont look good..

A CRB check is to find out about an existing Criminal Record (possibly taking in pending serious matters too).

Assuming there are no skeletons in your cupboard, for you to acquire a Criminal Record there must first be a prosecution - then a conviction.

You are on good ground if you kept to your side and the other side failed to do the same.

Until then don't worry - but get busy to get this resolved. By any means!

And come back here with problems and news. There are many here with far deeper knowledge than me and we are all here to help!

Thanks Tony :) No skeletons nope lol..just dont want to be arrested for conspiracy or whatever they call it,but i will be phoning the garage tomorrow and hopefully i can resolve this without it getting out of hand. Il let you know what the outcome is,just hope they havent done a logbook loan against it as ive read we arnt covered against it,anyway we'l see tomorrow thanks again :)

I cannot believe that anyone is telling the OP to lie to the police! That is totally irresponsible.

Have you made any progress sick2death.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I cannot believe that anyone is telling the OP to lie to the police! That is totally irresponsible.

Have you made any progress sick2death.

Agreed, those posts encouraging the OP to perjure himself have been removed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I cannot believe that anyone is telling the OP to lie to the police!

As I was the only person posting other than the OP, I can only assume this is directed at me. Please explain where I have suggest such a thing as lying to the Police.

Also, as "Site Team" can you also explain the absence of posts prior to number 3 above. You will note the OP thanks me for something that is not there. Odd?

From memory it would have been a suggestion to Thomas Crown Affair's 'think dirty' attitude when dealing with the Buyer who failed to keep his end of the deal concerning the paperwork. He does not deserve an apologetic 'softly softly' approach.

To think otherwise is condoning those failing to stick to what is agreed and caused the OP's predicament.

EDIT

While writing the above the absence of post(s) has been confirmed. My question above remains as does a confirmation it is Site's wishes that those failing to stick to what they agreed should be treated with a political correctness sooner than being correctly (in my view) reported for the inconvenience and potential liabilities he has created.

Edited by Tony P

The opening post confirms 'logbook has been stolen', and as it is no longer in the possession of the registered keeper, the detail could now be anybody's as could the vehicle use/misuse.

The police would of course be able to give advice once they are in possession of everything occurring to date, but for now there is a vehicle out there, doing deeds that the original owner may be in some way culpable.

As I was the only person posting other than the OP, I can only assume this is directed at me. Please explain where I have suggest such a thing as lying to the Police.

Also, as "Site Team" can you also explain the absence of posts prior to number 3 above. You will note the OP thanks me for something that is not there. Odd?

From memory it would have been a suggestion to Thomas Crown Affair's 'think dirty' attitude when dealing with the Buyer who failed to keep his end of the deal concerning the paperwork. He does not deserve an apologetic 'softly softly' approach.

To think otherwise is condoning those failing to stick to what is agreed and caused the OP's predicament.

EDIT

While writing the above the absence of post(s) has been confirmed. My question above remains as does a confirmation it is Site's wishes that those failing to stick to what they agreed should be treated with a political correctness sooner than being correctly (in my view) reported for the inconvenience and potential liabilities he has created.

A number of posts have been removed including your own, because they either contain advice to act illegally, or quote this advice. Such advice could be damaging for the OP and potentially for the site too. For clarification, there is no implication that this advice was yours.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi everyone,sorry about the delay in responding.

I had another 'dodgy' phone conversation with the buyers girlfriend and she told me that the car was now at a garage in Huddersfield,i phoned them but no answer so decided to phone DVLA.

They told me to put it all in writing to them,so i did and sent it off recorded delivery. So im just awaiting my punishment i suppose. They did tell me when i phoned that the car was still in my name :/

For further ref for others in this position and for the people on the thread who have commented i will come back and let you know what happens to me.

Thank you all :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update you on the outcome for future ref. I wrote to DVLA and in the letter i told them that the buyer wouldnt give me the log book back and that i didnt have his contact details and that i had tried the police,basically giving them as much info as possible which wasnt a lot to be honest. Anyway they finally sent me a acknowledgement slip saying that it confirmed that i was no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle registration number ##### and that i have to keep it safe,which i will!

I hope this will be the end of it but you never know :)

Thanks for your help :)

Thanks for coming back. Glad it seems to be sorted. :-)