style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am employee, called permanent relief, on a zero hours contract with the local authority. I have been working for them for 2.5 years and mostly I have been offered as much work as I can manage. My work involves a lot of driving to visit customers.

Up to now, I have been adequately recompensed for my travel. After the 18 miles and half hour drive to my office base, my hourly rate of pay started and I got recompensed mileage expenses.

They are now proposing that my current office base is being moved a further 14 miles away involving an extra half an hour travel, (extra 28 miles and 1 hour of travel per working day). If, over the coming year, I did exactly the same work as I have done in the past year, I would incur a loss of income of £1,000.

This takes into account the very small amount of disruption compensation they award per mile for the difference in distance to the new workbase.

Some days I only have one visit, so with the new work base I may travel for 2 hours for a one hour home visit and spend more on fuel than I earn for the one hour of work.

I am the only employee on a zero hours contract so have noone at work to discuss this with. All other employees are on permanent salaried contracts so not incurring a loss of income.

I have asked my employer to put in place an arrangement that protects me from the loss of income. They have said they will not. The restructure feels unfair and unreasonable. Can anyone give me any advice? Happy to answer questions.

Do I take this to Employment Tribunal? Grievance?

I honestly don't think this is illegal, bit unfair but an hour and 32 miles away isn't really unrealistic and aloss of 1000 per annum is less than 100 per month not a great deal so it may be worth trying it for a while and seeing how you get on, makes you seem the reasonable one

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

check if your job group get casual or essential car allowance, in most cases they define a base and you get mileage from that location, they may even have terms in their green book (this covers local government) for moves where temp income is protected but this will all depend on what your full time peers get

excerpt from green book

12. Car Allowances

12.1 Where an employing authority authorises an employee to use a

private car on official business, the employee will receive an

allowance in accordance with the provision set out in Part 3

Section 6.

13. Reimbursment of Expenditure

13.1 Employees necessarily incurring additional expense in the

course of their work in respect of travel, meals or overnight

accommodation will be reimbursed approved expenses, subject

to appropriate evidence of expenditure being produced, in

accordance with local arrangements

Don't get your hopes up too much employers in LG are doing some serious manipulation of travel and parking at the moment and your contract may also have an effect.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice.

I guess I've fooled myself into thinking it is a just world and that unfair should be illegal, alas....reality bites.

I wish our income was good enough to not miss £1,000.

Thank you again, I really appreciate the neutral advice.