HSBC - A little overdrawn, 3 bank charges then default!

ctid1987
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long story short...

Lost job, slightly overdrawn by maybe £10 maximum through either direct debit or card payment. No agreed overdraft, was a basic standard account.

They added 3 bank charges before making the figure £105 and defaulting me and closing the account.

Is there anything I can do to remove the dafault. Ive noticed on my partners account that Nationwide have reduced unpaid direct debit charges from £30 to £15 in the last couple of years.

Here are pics of credit file -

HSBC1_zps13ef839f.jpg

HSBC2_zps99348124.png

HSBC3_zps83977135.png

Do you think I can send a sob story explaining my situ then, and how it is affecting me now being on straight and narrow and looking for a mortgage etc and that it has tarred my rep?

Thanks again chaps!

Tony

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you might just find bcobs useful as that came in innov 2009

click the link and have a read of the rbs blue link it shows

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ive had a read and think I may have some Ammunition.

I think I need to SAR HSBC, to get all old bank statements back. I was out of work at the time I went overdrawn so they could blatantly see I had no steady stream of income!

• 1 month later...

Well £105 default sum, it would be helpful to know exactly how much of the DS is charges, there is a challenge to this default if the actually sum owed is far less than the £105.00.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Well this looks to me like the charges have been deliberately added to make placing a default look more reasonable, which of course it is NOT.

There could be no justification for placing a default for £15.00 which would be seen as manifestly unfair as it is easily remedied so this appears to be vexatious.

So a gesture of goodwill would seem unlikely so in my opinion it's time to go for the 'jugular' just like the 'blood sucking' banks.

Ok

The Data Controller

HSBC Bank.

Ref: account No.xxxxxxxxx.

Complaint: Unfair Placement of Default:

Sir /Madam

Please find attached hereto a copy of an entry placed on my credit reference files held by xxxxxxxxx credit reference agency,

as you will see this entry is for £105.00, this default sum is in fact made up of a tiny overdrawn amount of £15.00

the remainder is made up of grossly inflated charges without which one would expect this account not to have been defaulted.

Given this clear an irrefutable evidence it would be easy to assume that the placement of the default was manifestly unfair and unreasonable

and possibly vexatious given that the charges appear to have been added to make the account seem a far greater problem.

I consider that the actions of the bank may well breach sections of The ICO Technical Guidance on Defaults

and I would expect HSBC to take a considered and reasonable view

of its conduct in relation to this matter and to remove all records of this unfair default.

I would expect HSBC to respond promptly and fairly to this complaint within 14 days, failing a favourable response I shall place the matter before the ICO, OFT/FCA.

Yours with 2 fingers

Peed of By Banks Esq.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

This seems to be typical with most banks nowadays. How on earth can they justify turning a £15 overdraft into £100 +.

I would think you could investigate whether BCOBS is of any use to you and the fact that they have treated you very unfairly in this instance.

Have a read of the highlighted links in my signature.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Creative accounting to make defaults look more plausible!!

Both dx and citizenB have mentioned BCOBS. Have you read up on this?

Your correspondence to them from now on should ideally be BCOBS based.

BCOBS came into effect on 1st November 2009 and so your issues would appear to be covered by this.

Your complaint to the bank under BCOBS will not only deal with the issue of an unfair default but will go a lot further in that you will be reminding them that they have failed in their statutory duty to treat you fairly.

That being the case, BCOBS opens up an avenue whereby you can sue the bank for that failure and require a refund of those £30 charges. In addition it opens up a stronger case to have that default removed and if they don't do it voluntarily then it can be included as part of your overall claim on the bank should you wish to take legal action against them.

There have been successes with BCOBS cases and it is something you should consider as it may well get you your money back and get the default removed in one hit.

Listen, I cant thank you all enough.

I will confirm everything tomorrow - SAR is due for delivery between 9am and 5pm so will eagerly await it!

Will report back tomorrow.

In the mean time, BRIG can you help me with a quick letter for bank charges for my Mrs?

For your wife's issues it would better to start a new thread in the appropriate forum so that her stuff doesn't get mixed up with this one.

Tell us the story of your wife's situation and you will get the relevant help.

no the OD rate surely more?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what is the overdraft rate must be more than 8%apr

fdx

and they

Here is a PDF of the last year banking below.

The way I see it is £4 overdrawn, then a charge of £35 for previous months missed direct debit. Then two subsequent charges of £25 and then £35 with interest on top taking it up to £105

What do you reckon chaps?

Any chance of a letter pretty please brig?

Will do in the cool of the evening!:-)